Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:01:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Forgotten Pistolero aka Il pistolero dell'Ave Maria (1969)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forgotten Pistolero aka Il pistolero dell'Ave Maria (1969)  (Read 21237 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2006, 06:42:52 AM »

I guess I have to cut my losses and see it again.
I shudda included it in the SW league Firecracker!
Seems to be very popular Grin

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2006, 07:09:21 AM »

The Marketing Films version is actually only about 80minutes and couple of seconds long which does seem too short.

I don't remember ever seen anyone describing any scene that could be missing and neither have I seen anyone claiming (so that they would actually know) that the disc would be cut. Some have of course suspected it to be cut.

Who knows, maybe the jap disc might be longer as it's runtime has been listed at 88minutes somewhere and even though they use NTSC in Japan their SW discs usually run in PAL. Then again it could be NTSC and the runtime could be wrong by several minutes.
But I don't think I'll be spending $40 right now to find out. Grin

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 07:31:47 AM »

The X-Kult  limited edition (the 'only 666 piece' version) claims:
Length: 80 + 10 Min.

......and this description of the Japanese DVD :

THE FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO/IL PISTOLERO DELL'AVE MARIA. From SPO Entertainment, Japan. English and Italian language versions, both 80 mins. Subtitles in Japanese, English and Italian. Olivier Tocanne writes, "Letterboxed, approximatively 1.66. Incredible master, one of the best I have seen for an only letterboxed DVD. Blazing colours, without defects. Bonus: Interview with Ferdinando Baldi, Italian language, subtitled only in Japanese. The Dictionary Gremese gives a running time of 86 mns."

I don't know what The Dictionary Gremese is.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 11:07:30 AM »

This just in.....Breaking News-----------> Wink

Keith Crocker over at Cinefear just shot me an email in reply to my asking him about an Italian version of "...Forgotten Pistolero"........said he........

"I'm quite sure my Italian version is uncut and runs well over 90 minutes, but let me double check. Sorry to say there are no English subs on it, it's off of a tape I got from Italy".

I'll keep you posted.

Now back to our regularly scheduled message board.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006, 12:15:54 AM »

I must correct my earlier post. The Baldi documentary is on my german BLINDMAN disc although the Marketing Films FP disc has a lot of special features itself even though they're all in german.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2006, 11:09:46 AM »

I must correct my earlier post. The Baldi documentary is on my german BLINDMAN disc although the Marketing Films FP disc has a lot of special features itself even though they're all in german.

Did you still sit through it? I am sure it has interesting archive footage.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2006, 11:13:06 AM »

This just in.....Breaking News-----------> Wink

Keith Crocker over at Cinefear just shot me an email in reply to my asking him about an Italian version of "...Forgotten Pistolero"........said he........

"I'm quite sure my Italian version is uncut and runs well over 90 minutes, but let me double check. Sorry to say there are no English subs on it, it's off of a tape I got from Italy".

I'll keep you posted.

Now back to our regularly scheduled message board.
Nice work Boardwalk Angel Smiley
Maybe someone should tap Franco Cleef on the shoulder about a possible restoration with English subtitles for the extra 5/10 minutes! Roll Eyes

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2006, 11:26:34 AM »

Maybe someone should tap Franco Cleef on the shoulder about a possible restoration with English subtitles for the extra 5/10 minutes! Roll Eyes

I wont buy that.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2006, 11:29:51 AM »

Even if it drastically improves the ending which you seem to take issue with?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2006, 11:31:48 AM »

Even if it drastically improves the ending which you seem to take issue with?

The ending isnt all I take issue with. Its the whole last hour and ten minutes of the film i take issue with.

Franco Cleef's remastering will not change that.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 11:39:18 AM »

Nice work Boardwalk Angel Smiley

I was thinking the same thing...at least it confirms what most of us suspected...and until I get the full report...looks like at least 10 minutes was chopped..& that's a significant amount.
I'll be interested to find out the aspect ratio on the tape...there were at least a few SW that made it to tape in  a widescreen format..usually in 1:85 instead of 2:35 (Scope).

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2006, 03:11:02 PM »

Well........turns out to be a little longer-------------->

"My copy of Pistolero runs 85 minutes.... It is fullscreen right off a master tape."

There could still be a restoration....but the restored scenes would be fullscreen (better than nothing).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2006, 03:48:38 PM »

Thanks Boardwalk Angel-did he give any indication of what this extra minute of footage contains-the ending maybe?

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2006, 05:51:43 PM »

did he give any indication of what this extra minute of footage contains-the ending maybe?

I never got around to asking that.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2006, 11:11:44 PM »

What's wrong with the ending? Sebastian confronts his fathers killer amidst the burning mansion the three main characters grew up in killing him slowly as if to give the villain a brief moment to contemplate all that he has done before his inevitable death. The scene was shot very well. I watched this again last night and could not find anything to not like about it. The action was spread evenly between the dramatic scenes and even though there are no bits where the heroes take on armies of bad guys the plot doesn't require it. I'll check out the Baldi documentary and see if there are any other films from him besides the four I've seen as this movie was a surprise for me and makes me want to check out more from the mans career.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM