Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 11:03:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Crappy scenery..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crappy scenery..  (Read 13641 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 05:00:29 PM »

Joe, about the dramatic angle change. This is what I've been getting at. If it were real and not a painting, the distanc between the actual railing to the mountains would be measurable in miles. With a distnace like that it wouldn't be such a dramatic change.

Well, the obvious answer to that is a matte painting on glass for the railing and deck, and another behind it farther back for the town backdrop. Then the angle would change as you dropped the camera.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 08:55:39 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006, 06:15:19 PM »

Just another thought...If it is'nt a painting and it is actually on location..and the shadow cast by Tuco on the wall to HIS left is from the sun or Arc lights, shining from our left , then the wrong part of the main stansion of the stairs is in shadow, ie the left side. Also would the poles of the balcony not be casting a shadow across the floor of the balcony.

Do they look like different curtains as well in the two photo's???/

Bit like the conspiracy theory that man didn't land on the moon, because the shadows were all wrong for the position of the sun  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Huh Huh Huh

Ice

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Paco Belmondo
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 03:48:03 PM »

I don't think it's a painting.  I am going to watch that scene right now and come back with a final verdict.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2006, 09:16:26 AM »

Watching it again it is clear that there is some sort of window glass in the opening. Maybe this gives a muted, matte, almost painting like look to the background outside. Re-watch and you can clearly see the reflection of the moving curtains on this glass. While the window is supposed to be open, there is some sort of glass there??

Watched this scene closely several times last night. The detected material is not glass, as it sways in the wind. Apparently, it is some kind of transparent curtain; perhaps it is there to keep the dust from coming into the room. The presence of this curtain neither confirms or denies the idea that the background is a matte or transparancy. However, the fact that wind is coming through the window makes me think that the scene was shot on location. Of course, it would have been possible to create a wind effect in the studio, but the question is why would Leone bother? If you follow the scene to the end, you see that the white curtains on the inside of the window also move as if blown by wind during Tuco's close-ups. This is such a subtle effect that no viewer before the video age would have noticed it, and it is difficult to believe  that Leone would have taken the time to include wind-machine wizardry for a scene where it wouldn't register with viewers. The alternative explanation, that the scene was shot on location in Tabernas and that actual wind action was inadvertantly recorded, seems more likely.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2006, 10:26:39 AM »

The alternative explanation, that the scene was shot on location in Tabernas and that actual wind action was inadvertantly recorded, seems more likely.

agredd. I cannot bring myself to believe that it was not shot on location.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Blindman
Road Apple

Now that's what I call an Eyecon !

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2006, 04:01:22 AM »

However, If you look at the scene outside the window the shadows are to the left. Whereas Tuco's shadow is to the right. This phenomenon is also seen on the Moon - as frequently pointed out on the Apollo 11 photos.

Personally do not believe that Leone would have travelled all the way to the Moon for this one shot and its all a big hoax.

"You can clear up the mess now ... but don't touch my coffin."
www.fistfulofwesterns.com

"There can be only one, and one alone. After BB comes CC."
www.claudiacardinale.co.uk
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2006, 09:02:25 AM »

However, If you look at the scene outside the window the shadows are to the left. Whereas Tuco's shadow is to the right. This phenomenon is also seen on the Moon - as frequently pointed out on the Apollo 11 photos.

Personally do not believe that Leone would have travelled all the way to the Moon for this one shot and its all a big hoax.

Correct. Tuco's shadow is obviously studio lighting.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2006, 10:29:26 AM »

Studio Tabernas lighting, of course. However, the idea it was really shot on the moon has its appeal...

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2006, 03:08:54 PM »

Another scene with what looks like fake scenery is when Sentenza goes to the farm when you see the view from inside, the doorway at the far end has the same pale colour and when he leaves it cuts just before he goes through it.

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2006, 06:19:11 PM »

Just read that Blondies room is the same one Mortimer used in FAFDM. Was that interior filmed in the studio or the actual one in the hotel in El Paso?Huh?

ICE

sadhill
Bandido

"Un-k...Un-K......... There's no name on it."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2006, 05:36:08 PM »

Gotta disagree with the room being the same unless they changed almost everything!
click for larger

Beebs
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2006, 05:52:59 PM »

nope not the same....

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2006, 04:07:18 AM »

Gotta disagree with the room being the same unless they changed almost everything!
click for larger

Looks like your right, I didn't actually check. The quote comes from Howard Hughes' book "Once upon a time in the italian west"

Unless it was changed between films for another SW?Huh

ICE

Beebs
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2006, 10:59:09 AM »

What about Manco's room and Mortimer's room both in FFDM, of course.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2006, 04:18:02 PM »

Watched GBU today, and I didn't think it was a painting.  I don't think I can add a whole lot to the discussion, just my observation.  I did look.

I am curious though, if it was a painting, why go to all that trouble?  Why not just take a snapshot?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM