Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 01:49:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Crappy scenery..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crappy scenery..  (Read 13643 times)
Hanley
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2006, 05:24:33 AM »

Watched GBU today, and I didn't think it was a painting.  I don't think I can add a whole lot to the discussion, just my observation.  I did look.

I am curious though, if it was a painting, why go to all that trouble?  Why not just take a snapshot?

If you look at the French Trailer (which consists entirely of cut scenes or unused shots), you can see Tuco holding up the rope and behind him is clearly a plane of glass/plastic. I think that this sheet of glass/plastic is giving the real scenery a "fake appearance". The sheet of glass/plastic may have been used to control some factor like glare or it may have been used to create a special effect which didn't quite work out.

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »

If you look at the French Trailer (which consists entirely of cut scenes or unused shots), you can see Tuco holding up the rope and behind him is clearly a plane of glass/plastic. I think that this sheet of glass/plastic is giving the real scenery a "fake appearance". The sheet of glass/plastic may have been used to control some factor like glare or it may have been used to create a special effect which didn't quite work out.

Just checked the trailer..cant see any glass?Huh

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2006, 11:27:46 PM »

This raises an interesting point. In his Dollars pictures, Leone rarely uses process work. In fact, if it weren't for this thread, I would have said that he never used it in those films. However, OUATITW has some very obvious process work (on the train when Cheyenne is clowning around). Perhaps Leone used it (and allowed it to be obvious) not merely for convenience, but to make OUATITW even more Hollywood-like?

Then again, maybe James Coburn didn't want to hang upside-down from a train . . .

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2006, 11:41:06 PM »

Then again, maybe James Coburn didn't want to hang upside-down from a train . . .

You mean Jason Robards.   Wink

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2006, 06:19:21 AM »

I'm not good in English terms... What does "process work" mean?

BTW. I don't think this helps to solve our problem, but I have been to Lichtenstein in recent days and the Alps looked like painted scenery when the weather was good, so I remembered this. I also always felt that the scenery behind Tuco looked like painted, but who knows...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM