Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 01:47:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sartana Your Angel of Death
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sartana Your Angel of Death  (Read 14600 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2005, 05:46:10 AM »

Ok saw this the other night picked this Sartana mostly because it had Claus Kinsky and Frank Wolff in it also, Garko plays Sartana, and his outfit is basically a Mortimer knock-off .

It plays like a cheap TV western reminded me alot of the Wild Wild West. The beginning robbery sequence and the whole set up was quite absurd, the North West Bank advertizes itself around the town, one sign reads something to the effect that "its bounty hunters are the best around" another says "be client of North West Bank". It has armed guards that wear shirts that have ridiculous leather shoulder patches that start about chest high and oversized star badges they look like a western version of the Keystone Cops. The gunshots all sound as if they were recorded in a culvert a bit muffeled.

The basic story is the holdup gang makes it look as if Sartana masterminded the robery, so there is a price on Sartana's head, and while Sartana is out trying to redeem his image, Wolff and Kinsky are after the price on his head.

This is another example along with Navajo Joe where if you are not very familiar with the real American West you you won't even know that there is any disbelief to suspend, lol.  While on the other hand Leone films give you the impression that they might have actually have happend.

Shobary's site rates it high (87%) as does some of the polls on the SW board, I definitely don't. Which is one of the dangers of attaching too much value to opinions from the SW board in general. I may be getting close to the end of my quest of the best SW's. If this one rates 87%, I'm wondering how really bad the the lower down films are.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 02:04:53 PM »

Interesting stuff CJ.  I recently watched the first of the Sartana series a few weeks back.  It reminded me of a cross between Sabata and Django.  I quite enjoyed it, but got confused as to where it was actually going on many occasions!

Its weird though, the search for great SWs.  Some of the ones you are expecting to be great aren't, and yet you can stumble across some really little known gems.  Last weeks viewing, Forgotten Pistolero would be right up there with the best of them.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 04:36:13 AM »

Yea I know what you mean, I'm going to have to check that one out, too

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 01:44:26 PM »

I guess being from the lil Isle of England, I don't truly understand the real American history (come to think of it, I struggle enough with my own history and origins!!!), so those SW makers can serve me up whatever they like and I believe  Grin

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
bronsky
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 12:21:08 PM »

I think that this one is better than the original (Sartana pray for Your Death). It tells a somewhat straight story which is somewhat credible and I'm not talking about historical accuracy.  If you like the first one you should like this one, too.

Texas Rangers which I saw lately seemed quite accurate but was little entertaining.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 01:20:11 PM »

Conversely, everybody ADORES Corbucci-but his stuff doesn't sound like my kind of thing, so I haven't seen anything by him but Django, a long time back.

True.  Actually, personally Corbucci's movies are pretty close to Leone's for class.  I like his styles and shocks.

When I first got into SWs, I would try and get hold of movies recommended by other people (particularly, I used the Howard Hughes book as a starting point).  From then on, I got films that had actors in them that I had seen in ones I enjoyed.  Now I go for ones with cool titles  Grin

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 05:24:18 AM »

I also found Hughes book(plus various polls and review sites) an excellent starting point and although i disagree with somes of his opinions  i already have 26 of the 31 films reviewed and i feel they were good choices.I have also bought many of the additional key films listed at the back of the book.
Like Marco i have tended to concentrate on certain actors(and directors).I have all  Franco Nero westerns(bar Cry Onion-this really is bad apparently!!)and these are all great.Tessari's  Long Live Your Death(with Eli Wallach)is very similar in quality and style to Corbucci's Companeros/Mercenary films.Likewise Castellari's Jonathan of the Bears  is a deadringer for his own classic Keoma.Other top notch Nero films never mentioned here are Man,Pride and Vengeance and Deaf Smith and Johnny Ears.
It would be a shame if anyone was put off the Gianni Garko Sartana series as personally i think that the one discussed  in this thread is easily  the weakest in the series.The organ doubling as a cannon and the exploding indian robot in Light the Fuse Sartana is Coming need to be seen to be believed!!!

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 09:30:58 AM »

Banjo - just recently my current wife got me the Howard Hughes book from the library, but it only reviewed 20 films (and Once/West was not even among them).  Is there an updated edition with 31 films that you have?

KERMIT
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 06:19:11 PM »

Nothing short of great stuff here with an excellent cast
including the vastly underrated Frank Wolff. 

« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 06:27:16 PM by Kermit » Logged
indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 01:58:55 PM »

i haven't seen any of the sartana series but i do like william berger. a true unsung hero of the spag western. the only one you can get in the uk is sartana in the valley of death , is it worth getting?

That could just be cannon fire.
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 09:03:36 AM »

I found it to be a pretty a entertaining whodunit...w/  tongue firmly planted in it's SW cheek.
There's a good amount of tension & action as Sartana tries to get to the bottom of it all..who framed him...& of course he wouldn't mind finding the $$$...as he's trailed & stalked by bounty hunters as well as people trying to get their hands on the $$.
 The music/score is OK...although Sartana's theme, while good..is overplayed over & over & over (& over) ... & Kinski's theme --> the banjo tune--> is a very annoying  "Santa Claus is coming to Town" riff.

It's one of Kinski's most sane SW roles as the unlucky gambler/bounty hunter...Hot Dead

SW w/ a twinkle...& a pretty good script.
It's not one of the greats...but it's not bad.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 09:02:42 PM »

I Am Sartana Your Angel of Death (1969)
a/k/a Sartana the Gravedigger
Sono Sartana, il vostro becchino

Cast
Gianni Garko ....  Sartana (as John Garko)
Frank Wolff ....  Buddy Ben
Klaus Kinski ....  Hot Dead
Gordon Mitchell ....  Deguello

Directed by
Giuliano Carnimeo
Original Music by
Elsio Mancuso   

The second film in the popular Sartana series is, on the whole,  pretty entertaining ..well spun in Carnimeo's typical "Sartana" style....combining a whodunit...w/ elements of a smokey good mystery...with SW action & humor.
More than a bit tongue in cheek...yet straining for credibility & often (but not always) hitting the mark.

"Sono Sartana......" hits the ground running...in a snappy opening...as Sartana is implicated in a bank robbery. A $10000 reward on his head insures that he's pursued by bounty hunters....many of whom are known to him already as friends, allies, competitors.
There's a good amount of tension & unpredictability as Sartana tries to get to the bottom of it all, as he follows the trail of clues as to who framed him.. as well as the wherabouts of the $$$$$...all the while being stalked by bounty hunters and people trying to get their own grubby little hands on the $$$$$.
Unfortunately...those remaining who can shed any light on the issue are knocked off before he can get to them.

The trail takes him to Poker Flats...a gambling town where everybody's a cheat...out for themselves...& can't  be trusted. A shady saloon owner...corrupt judge...dishonest sherriff....are but 3 of the slightly twisted characters we meet in this quirky corner of 'Spaghettiville'.

Frank Wolff puts in a nice turn as Buddy Ben...although willing to lend his assistance, you never know exactly where his loyalties or motivations lie............& it's a nice performance.
 Kinski delivers one of his most sane SW roles as the unlucky gambler/bounty hunter...........Hot Dead.

Mancuso's music/score has some nice moments...and some lesser ones. Sartana's theme is good..but tends to be overplayed...over & over & over (and over)...........Kinski's theme --> a little banjo tune --> is recognizable as "Santa Claus is coming to town."  Interesting choice of melody...to say the least.

All in all...an enjoyable romp.......with enough twists & turns to keep you guessing.......
Within a genre filled w / copycats & overused plots...I appreciate any SW that has a different style...w/ at least an attempt at an original plot.
"Sono" manages to be intelligent...funny ..pretty brutal w/ a lot of action...& an entirely satisfying conclusion.
 Sprinkled throughout are some great names ..Slim Shotgun...Shadow...DeGuello......some great dialogue...the bounty hunter who announces his arrival with "I am death"...& of course Sartana's quip "I'm your gravedigger".

My cherished little copy used for this review is in Italian w/ English subs..so I can't comment on the English dubbed version...nor can I be aware of any changes or differences in the English translation (and there always are differences).
SW w/ a definite twinkle.  Wink

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 07:01:45 AM »

Nice review Boardwalk Angel-yes the Santa Claus tune is irritating.Don't you think that Frank Wolf(as Buddy Ben) looks totally ridiculous in the torn top hat?
   Nowhere near a patch on the original of course-much too lightweight!!   

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 07:05:33 AM »

Nowhere near a patch on the original of course-much too lightweight!!   

is that why you dislike it? you miss the Gothic supernatural feel?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 07:08:55 AM »

Thats a lot to do with it but also the 3rd and 4th Garko entries come over a lot cooler with fantastic Nicholai scores!I don't recall any fan gadgets in Angel of Death even Huh

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM