Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:30:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Web Site Announcements (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  USERNAME ???
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: USERNAME ???  (Read 29532 times)
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2007, 04:28:38 AM »

It seems I have to watch the TMWNN films again! Grin

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »

Senza is the name of one of the main characters of a sequel that I wrote for TGTBTU just for fun.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Tex
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »

Guess where I'm from.  Wink

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2013, 03:07:22 AM »

Sonora?

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »

Louisiana, and didn't want to be called "Louise" ?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »

Metallica, the greatest heavy metal band of all-time -- were always well-known as big drinkers (they were nicknamed "Alcoholica") and at concerts, they often jokingly changed changed the names of their songs to alcohol-related themes or some other joke. eg. "Harvester of Sorrow" became "Harvester of Sapporo"; "Whiplash" became "Dickrash," and "Seek and Destroy" became "Drink and Destroy." I used the name Drink and Destroy on the Metallica message boards -- the only other board I have ever been a member of, but which I haven't written on in many years, it's a bunch of lunatics screaming "Fuck you!" NO, "Fuck YOU!" No, FUCK YOOOUUUU!" NO, FFFUUUUCCCKKK YOOU AND YOUR MOTHER!....")

When it came time to choose a username for these boards, I tried few Leone-related names which were all taken, so then I decided, screw it, I'll go with the only message board name I know. So that's how I became (in)famous as drinkandddestroy.

[bNow, here is the best part of the story: it just so happens that Metallica is responsible for getting me into Leone in the first place! [/b] In a very brief nutshell: at the start of every concert, Metallica walks out onto the stage as a recording of "Ecstasy of Gold" plays over teh arena's loudpseakers. That is as much a part of Metallica lore as anything. (Look up any recording of EoG on YouTube, and half the comments are from Metallica fans. I heard it was from some movie named GBU, so I figured, what the heck, lemme watch it, which I did about 8 years later. the rest is history.......

if you are really bored and want the longer version of that story: So I heard that the song EoG was composed by some Italian named Ennio Morricone for some movief rom 1967 called The Good The Bad and The Ugly, which was categorized as something called a Spaghetti Western???. So I figured that eventually, I'd have to watch that  movie. About 8 years passed, I occasionally remembered, eventually I gotta see that movie that EoG is from; and I was also reminded cuz the movie was also mentioned on an episode of Seinfeld; at that time in my life, I had two obsessions: metallica and Seinfeld (I must have seen the 180 episodes a total of 20,000 times. No exaggeration needed). well at some point, I believe it was 2009, I was in my law school dorm, bored, wanted to watch a movie; in those days I rented movies off iTunes, I'd just discovered I had so many movies available to me, and I decided, hey, what the heck, I'll watch that movie GBU now [in those days, I had zero interest in westerns, I didn't even know it was a western until it started!] well I turned on the movie, kept waiting and waiting for EoG to play, of course it doesn't play till like 2 and a half hours into the movie!
well, while waiting for EoG to play, I suddenly realized that I was watching greatness, pure and simple. I was BLOWN AWAY by the movie; after watching it, I went online to read about it on wikipedia, I read that it was directed by some Italian named Sergio Leone as part of something called the "Dollars Trilogy," so I figured, hey, lemme watch the rest of the trilogy................................................ the rest is history. It's been love at first sight, every moment from the first moment to now. pure, unadulterated love and obsession, but the kind that doesn't ruin a man....... Until that moment, I was a casual movie fan at best. watched movies occasionally when bored, wasn't any big part of my life. From the moment I began watching Leone, and then studying more about him through Frayling's commentaries and books, that turned cinema into an obsession for me.

Okay, my time is up here  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »

Very interesting backstory there, did you walk into GBU with any expectations when you first saw it?

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Tex
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »

Louisiana, and didn't want to be called "Louise" ?

Haha! Grin

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2013, 09:57:20 AM »

Very interesting backstory there, did you walk into GBU with any expectations when you first saw it?

I didn't know anything at all about it. Didn't know it was a Western, didn't know it involved the Civil War, or anything else. All I knew was that it was a 1967 movie starring Clint Eastwood THAT PLAYED THE ECSTASY OF GOLD!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2013, 01:56:18 AM »

How did it strike you (I presume it did) the original version of EoG?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2013, 03:33:18 AM »

How did it strike you (I presume it did) the original version of EoG?

well the first time I heard EoG was when I watched videotape (yes, it was literally a videotape) of a Metallica   Evil concert for the first time. This was Metallica's  Evil famous "S&M" concert -- "Symphony & Metallica," in which they teamed up with the late Maestro Michael Kamen and the San Francisco Symphony for a concert of their music with the symphony! So as an opening, the symphony played a shortened version of EoG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG62B_dHfDQ
during the moments the crowd roars, that's when one of the boys walks on stage  Evil

Ironically that was the first Metallica concert vid I ever watched.
THis was when I just started following Metallica, so  I initially thought that for the sake of the symphony, Michael Kamen had chosen a symphonic-only piece to begin the concert.

Later, when watching other concert vids (and I eventually attended at least 3 concerts myself) I realized they started every concert with that song,  they played the version from the movie. But I didn't realize at the time that they used the actual one from the movie's soundtrack; to me and my friends who had never seen the movie,  it seemed like it was  a recording of one the band members singing the song! (We were convinced it was Jason Newsted)

eg. here is a beautiful version from Nimes as the crowd of many tens of thousands sings along
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrvb3i1q-E

Then, for the first time in about 2009, the boys actually began playing a version of EoG on stage: see 1:47 of this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z57hyZmbE8A

pretty incredible, eg? absomotherfuckinglutely!  Evil

okay, now that I got my childhood off my chest, so titoli prolly really wanted to know how I felt when I first heard it in the movie?

so, I eventually decide to watch the movie, and I'm waiting and waiting and waiting... the first half of movie moved too slow for me. Maybe I woulda shut it off and said "screw it"  but I needed to hear EoG! And I'm thinkiong, dan, maybe there was a mistake? I mean, when do u have a big theme in a movie not been heard at all once the movie is 90% done? Then suddenly Tuco's head hits a gravestone, and ooo, oooo, oooooo AND I'M LIKE OMFG ITS THE ECSTASY OF GOLD! I'd never imagined it would be a part of THAT, one of the greatest scenes in cinema history. (And I certainly never thought it would be topped only 5 minutes later with Il Triello! but that's another story  Wink)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:27:21 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2013, 03:38:07 AM »

I allow myself just a little booze before I force myself to sign off so I don't say anything I regret too badly. so I'll see you tomorrow :-)  Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:28:10 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »

I was not referring to the fact that the tune was there but that, I presume, you probably caught the differences between the two versions: How did that original version impress you musically compared to the h-m versions you were already familiar?

P.S. Just out of curiosity: but when some officials ask you to give your generalities, do you start from your first recorded ancestor or you  just say name, birthplace and date of birth?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:39:11 PM by titoli » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »

I was not referring to the fact that the tune was there but that, I presume, you probably caught the differences between the two versions: How did that original version impress you musically compared to the h-m versions you were already familiar?

P.S. Just out of curiosity: but when some officials ask you to give your generalities, do you start from your first recorded ancestor or you  just say name, birthplace and date of birth?

when you say "the differences between the two versions," do you mean the difference between the version Metallica walks out to onstage and the one from GBU? I believe that the version they walk out to is a recording of the GBU version (with the exception of the S&M show where the symphony played a special version).

p.s. I usually answer to the point, but when Metallica (and booze) are involved, I may occasionally digress  Wink

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:31:23 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »

Sorry, not having read all your explanation I thought this group was playing a version of their own and not using the original as an introduction.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM