Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:51:51 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  French and German films and directors
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: French and German films and directors  ( 4696 )
Poggle
Bounty Killer

« : July 01, 2005, 05:04:27 PM »

I've been interested in checking out the works of Italian directors like Bertolucci, Argento, Fellini and Visconti and maybe some more later on, but I am wondering if there are any French and German movies and directors that I would like if I'm into Italian fellows like Leone and Bertolucci?

I really liked Downfall and I'm interested in checking out Aguirre: Wrath of God and maybe some other Herzoz films. As for French films, I know nothing :(

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #1 : July 01, 2005, 11:30:09 PM »

You may like the films of J.P. Melville and Jacques Becker. And if you haven't seen it, Clouzot's The Wages of Fear is essential viewing for anyone who can get into the concept of 4 men in 2 trucks hauling nitro over treacherous roads. Suspense, action, and the very essence of machismo, baby!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

« #2 : July 05, 2005, 09:31:54 PM »

Good French Films:
The 400 Blows
Antoine and Collette
Jules et Jim
Le Cercle Rouge

Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

« #3 : July 06, 2005, 06:06:23 PM »

François Truffaut, Jean Renoir, Jacques Tati  ..

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #4 : July 14, 2005, 06:22:14 PM »

If you like the pacing of Leone, then Herzog's classic AGUIRRE: WRATH OF GOD is a must see for anyone who loves cinema.

Its full of astounding little moments, and has "the hunchback's" best performance ever. If you don't like this one, give up on crazy Werner, as he has still not made anything better, fiction or documentary.*

Bruno Ganz is a fantastic actor, and regardless of who directed him, its worth checking his stuff out, just for him alone. See especially Wim Wenders's WINGS OF DESIRE, Herzog's NOSFERATU or Volker Schlöndorffs CIRCLE OF  DECEIT.

As for French cinema? Sorry. AMELIE was a decent, recent crowd pleaser. But never has a nation blown it's own trumpet over so little. Years ago I used to get a kick out of Goddard, Truffaut etc. Now I find their stuff (one or two moments excepted) near unwatchable rubbish.

Films like WAGES OF FEAR, (a much more meaty Gallic movie), were contemptously labled by Truffaut as "la cinema de papa." These have aged much better than garbage like Goddard's LA CHINOISE, for example,which now just seems like ignorant and gleeful complicity in mass murder.

Putting this thread on topic, it was this sort of bullshit which prompted Leone to make GIU LA TESTA in the first place, which opens with a quote from Mao, written in the late 1930's, but chanted by heart by millions during the pathalogical Cultural Revolution. I haven't seen Goddard's very silly film for many years, but I'm sure the cast of teenage girls he was desperate to have sex with during the production, chant the Mao quote at some point.

*though his "first Gulf War" docco LESSONS IN DARKNESS, and his docco on Kinski MY BEST FIEND are great stuff.

« : July 14, 2005, 06:25:45 PM Juan Miranda »

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« #5 : July 15, 2005, 04:29:28 AM »

Essential french viewing must include Jean Vigo's L'ATALANTE (1933). Beautiful and haunting with an understanding of cinema that most modern directors can only dream of!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« #6 : July 15, 2005, 01:25:56 PM »

but I am wondering if there are any French and German movies and directors that I would like if I'm into Italian fellows like Leone and Bertolucci?

As a start in terms of GERMAN film, do check out FRITZ LANG'S "M". Peter Lorre plays a character that puts LECTER in the Disney league! This is a masterpiece. You won't be disappointed!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #7 : July 15, 2005, 01:32:13 PM »

I also agree with M, but also check out The Testament of Dr Mabuse, and my personal fave, Metropolis. For Italy, I completely recomend Fellini. 8 1/2 is my fave, but the rest of his works are above reproach. A French director, who did a lot of US Film Noir, called Jules Dassin is most certainly worth a look.

This link, guides you to a website that lists a DVD distribution company (who you have no doubt heard of) the deals in special foreign and US cinema. It is well worth a look.

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines