Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 02:28:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ringo, Face of Revenge (Ringo, il volto della vendetta)(1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ringo, Face of Revenge (Ringo, il volto della vendetta)(1967)  (Read 4598 times)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2005, 01:40:36 PM »

Its time for this weeks review!   Grin

RINGO - FACE OF REVENGE

This film starts with that Almeria backdrop that we love so much.  Ringo (Anthony Steffen) and his colleague Davy (Eduardo Fajardo) rescue Fidel (Armando Calvo) from a certain death at the hands of a posse of gunhands.  Their motive?  Well it had nothing to do with Fidel's safety, but an assumption that there must be a reason that the gang would be so keen to pursue him.

This intuition is well founded.  Once they have rescued Fidel for a second time - after a full on bar brawl - they discover that he has a map tattooed on his back.  It turns out to be just half of a map for hidden gold, with the second half on the back of a crook-turned-sheriff following a pact whilst the two were captive in prison.  The aptly named "Trikie"(Frank Wolff) has overheard the conversation, and insists on joining the three on the trail of the gold.  The group succesfully track down the Sherriff, who double crosses them - the first of many double-crosses as they follow the map and the film develops.

"Ringo - Face of Revenge" is pretty watchable, although in truth fairly average spaghetti fare.  With not a hint of revenge!  The story itself has many twists and turns that succesfully kept my attention, but the actual delivery of Caiano's direction seemed often lacking.  I couldn't help feel that certain scenes were simply added in to cement the gaps in the story, and help the viewer realise what was actually going on (but unfortunately the cement was weak and lacked substance).

That said, there are some great scenes - my favourite being the moment when the captured group decide that the only way to prevent the double crossing sherriff from learning the secret of the other half of the map is to burn the tattoo off of Fidel's back.  Ouch!

As far as the acting is concerned, Fajardo really excels in the role of the eccentric Davy.  Both Wolff and Steffen on the otherhand both appear quite subdued (although, I guess that was largely Steffen's style).

If you enjoyed "Some Dollars for Django" you will probably enjoy this movie also, as it has a similar feel (and not just because of Steffen's lead role).  To me it remains in that group of westerns that I quite enjoy watching, but would be in no particular rush to watch again.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 09:31:34 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061541/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/ringo_vendetta.htm

Little to add to what is said at IMDb and italian SWdb: a disposable one that took me big effort to watch through the end, where the only good performance is by Fajardo: Steffen is the usual stony self who has no inkling as to what playing should be like; Calvo, I never liked him and here he does little to make me change my mind; Wolff is a let-down: here is overweight and seems to have taken the role because he happened to pass near the sets. The story is a GBU rip-off, and has no originality whatsoever (sure, the burning of the back of Calvo: small item). Only good thing: the colours of the transfer of the german dvd I saw.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:20:45 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061541/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/ringo_vendetta.htm

Little to add to what is said at IMDb and italian SWdb: a disposable one that took me big effort to watch through the end, where the only good performance is by Fajardo: Steffen is the usual stony self who has no inkling as to what playing should be like; Calvo, I never liked him and here he does little to make me change my mind; Wolff is a let-down: here is overweight and seems to have taken the role because he happened to pass near the sets. The story is a GBU rip-off, and has no originality whatsoever (sure, the burning of the back of Calvo: small item). Only good thing: the colours of the transfer of the german dvd I saw.
I agree an intruiging against type performance from Fajuado(also saw him playing the head escaped lunatic today in Pistol For A Hundred Coffins-recommended!) but i also thought Frank Wolff was also really good as the double crosser extraordinaire playing everyone off against each other to get his own hands on the gold-a really despicable fellow but very enjoyable as was the movie even if its lacking in the originality department.I don't think its all that similar to GBU and is more to do with mind games than trying to be anything like that epic.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:37:51 AM »

I said rip-off because of the map divided in 2.
No, on Wolff I disagree: always with that smirk glued on his face, makes you wanna clap him on the mouth.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »

I wonder if GBU was truly the first western to use this idea of the split information about hidden gold?In Tessari's Long Live Your  Death the map halves were tatooed on the behinds of two Mexicans Azn

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »

Even so, one plot point doesn't qualify a film as a rip-off unless there is blatant imitation throughout.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »

Probably you're right, as the movie as a whole has unfortunately little to do with GBU. It was just  the fact that it was made a few months later than Leone's that prompted me to use that term.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM