Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:10:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  6 million copies in USA
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6 million copies in USA  (Read 3841 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2005, 11:29:44 AM »

that's what I've read the sales of GBU's  dvd release were. Is there anybody here who has some terms of comparison with other dvd releases? And also with the number of tickets sold when the movie was first released on theatres?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:26:25 AM »

This I resurrect hoping somebody may find in the net a list of sorts about dvd sales.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:46:35 AM »

Titoli, I tried to search around to see what I could find.    I didn't see anything on DVD figures.  I'll look around some more.  I found some box office figures but not for all.  I'll list for you.  The info is mostly from a site called Box Office Mojo (figures were domestic U.S., I had hoped there would be International Box office figures somewhere as well)   I'm not sure about the accuracy.  Here's link if you wanted to take a look and evaluate the site for yourself.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/

One thing I did see somewhere....it said that Frayling's first book on Spaghetti Westerns provided box office figures.  Maybe someone that has the book could post it for you on this thread.  

Title                                                     Release date U.S.                                        Domestic U.S. gross (total lifetime)
A Fistful Of Dollars                                           1/18/67                                                   $14,500,000.00
For A Few Dollars More                                   5/10/67                                                   $15,000,000.00
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly                       12/29/67                                                  $25,100,000.00
Once Upon A Time In The West                       5/28/69                                                    N/A
Duck You Sucker                                              6/30/72                                                    N/A
Once Upon A Time In America                          6/01/84                                                   $ 5,321,508.00    

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 06:50:13 PM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 05:39:46 PM »

I have the recently revised edition of this book. It lists these as follows in America--

FISTFUL-- 3,500,000
FOR A FEW...-- 5,000,000
GBU-- 6,000,000
ONCE UPON A TIME...-- 1,000,000

These are the box office results for the four films. I think Titoli is confusing DVD sales with BO takings. To sell 6 million DVDs is highly unlikely even for many new movie.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 05:41:50 PM by Arizona Colt » Logged

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 05:55:15 PM »

Thanks AC. Could be.  I didn't find anything on DVD sales qty or dollars.   The figures in your Frayling must be the box office figures for the initial run of the film.  The figures I found must be an estimation through the years with I guess rereleases and revivals and so forth (total lifetime domestic gross).  They're on the high side.  Not sure how they could even get an accurate idea of that.  I like your figures better for an idea of what each film did when it came out.      

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 06:48:53 PM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:14:53 AM »

Since it is the revised edition, I'm not sure if these figures have been adjusted for today's exchange rate. Probably not.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 05:26:19 AM »

Thank you all gentlemen for the effort. I can't rememeber where I took that figure from. Anyway, I think those old box offices figures are of little use and anyway it seems to me unlikely that GBU was not so much bigger grosser than FFDM. Anyway it is even more strange that figures about dvd (and vhs) sales can't be found on the net.

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 04:54:26 PM »

Titoli, I tried to search around to see what I could find.    I didn't see anything on DVD figures.  I'll look around some more.  I found some box office figures but not for all.  I'll list for you.  The info is mostly from a site called Box Office Mojo (figures were domestic U.S., I had hoped there would be International Box office figures somewhere as well)   I'm not sure about the accuracy.  Here's link if you wanted to take a look and evaluate the site for yourself.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/

One thing I did see somewhere....it said that Frayling's first book on Spaghetti Westerns provided box office figures.  Maybe someone that has the book could post it for you on this thread. 

Title                                                      Release date U.S.                                         Domestic U.S. gross (total lifetime)
A Fistful Of Dollars                                           1/18/67                                                   $14,500,000.00
For A Few Dollars More                                   5/10/67                                                   $15,000,000.00
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly                       12/29/67                                                  $25,100,000.00
Once Upon A Time In The West                       5/28/69                                                    N/A
Duck You Sucker                                              6/30/72                                                    N/A
Once Upon A Time In America                          6/01/84                                                   $ 5,321,508.00   

All three MWNN films released in '67?!
wow.

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 06:20:13 PM »

All three MWNN films released in '67?!
wow.

Yes, FOD in Jan.

FAFDM in the summer

GBU late december

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 06:55:41 PM »

According to Frayling, GBU was released in the US in January 68.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 08:37:37 PM »

imdb has it as December 29 1967 almost Jan

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM