Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:23:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Can you help with cliff location please?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can you help with cliff location please?  (Read 3700 times)
Nessuno
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2005, 08:41:19 AM »

I am flying out from England to drive Route 66 in July and to take in some famous movie locations. Natually I will be going to Monument Valley, but can anyone please tell me where the Morton and Frank scenes where filmed in the old Indian cliff dwelling? I have scoured maps and searched Google, but I cannot find pictures that relate to this place. Thank you.
If you would like to see my location pictures from northern Spain, please go to http://community.webshots.com/user/mrlocation

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 01:06:42 PM »

Nessuno, you lucky devil! Great pics by the way. I'm in in NY in three weeks time and I'm tracking down the few OUATIA locals I can find. In answer to your question, there are photos on the OUATITW DVD location gallery (one of my fave features, melts my heart everytime, especially the one with the clapperboard) However I can't seem to find the local. Though, I must admit (and you probably know a lot more then me on the subject) that indian cliff was filmed in spain. Though it would make sense for it to be in the expansive Monument Valley. Tell me are you going to have a John Ford trip too  Grin

Anyway, I 'll keep an eye out for anymore info.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 03:55:19 PM »

I am located in Montreal, Canada and I'll be making a trip too to Monument valley. The trip is scheduled for September 16th. I wanna see the remains of the arch which I didn't think it still exist. I read somewhere on the net that this arch is located somewhere like 15 miles north of monument valley, but I need some more precise indications. Pics and camcorder are on the menu, you can bet on that!! 

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 02:49:07 PM »

I went to the arch in the late 80s.  The wooden cross beams were still on it at that time.  If able, I'll post them, but I'm not smart about computer things.
As you pass through Monument Valley , north, TOWARD Medicine Hat, I believe its called, the remains of the arch will be on your LEFT.  It was hard to see from the highway, but the binoculars helped.  We took a dusty road about a half a mile or so to the arch and took pics.
The old cement tracks, used for the camera were still there.  They were used for the back away shot of the hanging.
I saw more recent photos a couple of years ago, and the beams were no longer on the stone pilings.  If possible, I'll try to post these, but I'm sure that others on this board have them and can do much better.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 02:54:26 PM »

Admirer,
Are you SURE the cliff dwelling is in Spain?  I've been to the SW many times to view dwellings and assumed it was one of those, since filming was in that location.
I did not know Spain had adobe dwellings.  Have I been wrong all these years?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 03:55:04 PM »

I believe they said on the DVD that the Navajo cliff was in Mesa Verde, Colorado.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 05:23:58 AM »

Admirer,
Are you SURE the cliff dwelling is in Spain?  I've been to the SW many times to view dwellings and assumed it was one of those, since filming was in that location.
I did not know Spain had adobe dwellings.  Have I been wrong all these years?

My apologies, as I said in the post I (in my all knowing wisdom  Grin ) when I saw the photo always thought they were in spain. I'm glad that I was wrong, it makes me feel great inside that a local like that exists in America. Re-the arch I found photographs of people taking plaster from the arch (or so it says in the descriptive text) which is perhaps how the wooden beams met there end.  I'll try and find that link again. The location montage on the DVD is great but I do wish they had put where the location was underneath it, let us Leone fans find it.

Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 11:01:20 AM »

You can see some photos of the Arch in 2002 on Don Bruce's site, here's the link.

http://www.sergioleone.net/album.htm

Good luck Nessuno!

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 11:21:17 AM »

On that link, there's a photo of the famous clapperboard from OUATITW and the author says it's his. I think this is the same one featured on Once Upon A Time in Italy. What I would give to own that  Cool

KERMIT
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 04:05:09 PM »

hell of a good shot.  thanks

Nessuno
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 12:13:39 PM »

Thanks for your replies amigos. I am quite sure where I can find the arch, but it is the cliff dwelling that has been evading my research. Ramon: Bet you can't wait for a rock! And I did see the Don Bruce pics, but he didn't say where. Groggy: I did pick up on Mesa Verde, but when has Alex Cox ever known what he was talking about?! Google only pulled up pictures of 'White House' or such, and it doesn't didn't look remotely like the place in OUATITW. Don Bruce: Would the great man himself please tell me where, pretty please, with a cherry on the top?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM