Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 06:05:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Fistful of Dollars/ For a Few Dollars More: German Special Editions
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistful of Dollars/ For a Few Dollars More: German Special Editions  (Read 34576 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2005, 03:42:57 PM »

i'm envious very very nice

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pugno
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2005, 11:51:29 AM »

However, there'll be a 3 disc special edition of FOD next year in Italy, so FAFDM should receive a similar treatment there as well. Wink

Second try.

So, is there anything new about this 3-disc set? Any links or facts etc.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2006, 08:28:59 AM »

Originally posted this over at the UK DVD forum just before crimbo. But ive noticed some people still asking the odd question about it here at SL board.. hope this helps.

Iíve done a run through over the German Dollar DVDs.. Observations comparing to the UK R2 from early this year. No match to match graphical comparisons unfortunitly which would be better than my words.. (because the winner would lose throu its known PC DVD-rom playback problems)... So this is my observations on the transfers, cuts etc...

---------------------------------------------------

Fistful Of Dollars -This is pretty much the same as the UK MGM SE for running time, just the print looks a smidge sharper to me. Specially in the Baxter massacre sequence. Where the wide angle shot has to deal with quite a lot, fire and smoke, actual night shooting etc. And the Rotoscope opening which almost looks computer rendered!

For a Few Dollar More

-Theres is still a problem with a small sound sequence. A crack of thunder is still out of sync in Monco's (Eastwood) introduction at White Rocks.† Which was originally suppose to co-inside with a Leonesque character shot. But this is still a superficial grumble for the cursed few who owned a certain UK VHS*, which seemed to get this timing right. On reflexion its probably best forgotton.
More importantly the extention to Indio Dialogue & Beating sequence is here in its glory)

-There were rumours Klaus Kinski's voice could be heard on the German audio track but it seems to be another actor on dub duties.

-The image quality is in the same situation as Fistful. But there seems to be a little bit more improvement to my eyes. More so on the colour balance.

The powerdvd screenshots don't do justice to the picture quality. Because of the well reported computer playpack problems. Its seems to create a sluggish artifical combing effect, most noticable on panning shots. On a home cinema set-up its a world away from this, plays like a dream.

TLE have transfered all the MGM extras to the Paramount discs (plus the Frayling commentries, with optional german subs).
Few Dollars Restoration: Italian Style can cause some contriditions, specially if you havn't seen the UK MGM special editions, a friend of mine was scratching his head a bit on what was cut and included in the version of For A Few Dollars More.
Info on TLEs own superior restoration (Obtaining a new print and creating the transfer, Indio Beating Sequence & the Mono remastering etc) comes in the form of some humble text notes.

P.S. One gripe and a pretty supifical one at that, is the menus look a bit rushed.† Probably last minute job before it went off to the factory. Specially after the wonderful job TLE did on the My Name Is Nobody, which were very much like Paramount's Once Upon A Time West in style.

*All the past DVDs releases have this problem, apart from a humble spanish disc as the rumour goes. Which has the Thunder clap/Monco sequence in sync. But as i said don't loose any sleep over it.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2006, 10:08:15 AM »

Smoker - I gots to know - does that pocket watch actually play the "Musical Pocket Watch" tune?Huh

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2006, 02:50:36 PM »

Nope, but you could pretend.. Grin

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM