Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 22, 2021, 10:56:34 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  ROD STEIGER
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: ROD STEIGER  ( 7360 )
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« : July 15, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »

Just watched a forgotten British classic starring ROD STEIGER called ACROSS THE BRIDGE (1957). This is ROD without the later over-the-top performance (s) that he became famous for! Stunning movie from a GRAHAM GREENE story. Rent it, buy it, borrow it, steal it! Once viewed.....never forgotten (imo).

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« #1 : July 24, 2005, 02:51:29 PM »

MMMmmmm! And if yis' missed that one, check him out in THE BIG KNIFE (1955); AL CAPONE (1959); CONVICTS 4 (1962); IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT (1967) and the dreadfully underated W.C. FIELDS AND ME (1976). But, for me, apart from FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE, and early thread, ACROSS THE BRIDGE (1957), check him out in THE HARDER THEY FALL (1956). Ah, the man is gone.....but not forgotten!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #2 : July 25, 2005, 05:12:08 PM »

I think his greatest ever performance was in Sidney Lumet's THE PAWNBROKER. A convincing portrait of sheer hell on Earth, Stieger goes place here which few actors ever dare to attempt, and the results are so intense they are occassionaly hard to watch.

The last thing I saw him in was an incredible Channel 4 documentary series on British TV, called HELL IN THE PACIFIC. Steiger was in it (just before his death), recalling his war time experiences in the US Navy in WWII.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3 : July 16, 2006, 03:24:56 PM »

Personally I've never been too big a fan of Rod.  Even more than Brando, he's pretty much the ultimate caricature of the Method actor, and in more than a few of his film roles he's hysterically over-the-top, hammy, and theatrical.

On the other hand, I will say that he was a great actor when we wanted to be - witness "Doctor Zhivago" or "In The Heat of the Night".  Though very over-the-top, his performance as the psychotic General in "Mars Attacks!" was by far the best thing about that otherwise turgid film.  I'm torn about his portrayal of Juan in DYS, he's effective in some scenes (like the "Dead sons" sequence) but overly obnoxious in others (and where in the hell did he get that accent)?  IMO he was a better as a character actor than a star, but that's just me.  (Keep in mind though that I've not seen "On The Waterfront" as of this writing.)

Any comments or opinions on Mr. Steiger?

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #4 : July 16, 2006, 05:54:43 PM »

Its hit or miss for Steiger.

He's great in "Heat Of The Night" and very good in "On The Waterfront", and in "The Pawnbroker", both hard gritty noirish New York City set films, he just never seemed like a convincing actor when it came to Westerns I feel the same way as I do with what I remember of DYS as with Jubal. Though in Jubal he plays a Southerner and I think it is where he first uses the accent he used for Heat of the Night

I also saw him in "WC Fields and Me" and he did a great job of playing (channeling)  Fields. I saw "Waterloo" and thought that was good.

Also "Lucky Luciano" where he acts with Gian Maria Volonte, now that's one I'd like to see again.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #5 : July 16, 2006, 06:11:31 PM »

You could equally ask "where the hell did James Coburn get that accent?" I pretty much agree with much of what you say though. Yet again, I've written about this subject a lot on the forum before, and don't want to repeat myself.

Rod could be great and he could be just pure ham, depending on, I guess, how much he cared about the part, the script and how he was being treated. Like a lot of actors he seems to have had quite a childish and almost hysterical streak to his personality, steming in his case from being raised by a drunken, abusive mother who he escaped from only by joining the US Navy in WWII, where he saw some quite bloody action.

He is astounding in Sidney Lumet's THE PAWNBROKER, and impressive in NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY, RUN OF THE ARROW, THE ILLUSTRATED MAN (though not a very good film), THE BIG KNIFE and in his Oscar winning role in IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT.

I find him rather mannered in the Lean film, and Brando, at that point in his career, could act the entire planet of the screen, hence Rod looks uncomfortable in ON THE WATERFRONT for reasons which have nothing to do with the character he is playing. "It was you Charlie. It was you." As such I'm not sure what you mean by: "Even more than Brando, he's pretty much the ultimate caricature of the Method actor". Brando was the first actor to use "the method" on screen. True he was happy to lazily characature the style in later life, but his early roles were (and remain) revolutionary.

As for Rod in Leone's film, I love him. He is perfect, the purile rape scene excepted. A brillant, comic performance. He is Sancho Panza to Coburn's Don Quixote.

Blimey. Has anybody claimed this before? If not, I'm copyrighting it now!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #6 : July 17, 2006, 05:22:39 AM »

Also "Lucky Luciano" where he acts with Gian Maria Volonte, now that's one I'd like to see again.

I'd think those guys would eat each other alive making that film.  Still, I'd be interested in seeing it, to be sure.  ;)

I will give Rod some extra credit because he seems like he was a cool guy who enjoyed acting, even though he was more than capable of being an ass on the set.  David Lean I understand was a complete prick to everyone on "Zhivago" who were essentially just following him and the script; I can only imagine how he felt towards Steiger, who improvized a bit (just to piss Lean off I'm sure  ;D).  And of course we all know the stories about DYS.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #7 : July 17, 2006, 05:29:38 AM »

Also, if anyone's interested, here's a great interview with Rod done about a year before his death.  Mostly talks about "Zhivago" but they do deal with a few of his other films as well.  He REALLY likes Komarovsky, you can tell that much from this interview!  ;D

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bigreport12.shtml

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #8 : July 17, 2006, 04:00:39 PM »

I really like him... I mean all the movies people are critical about don't bother me that much and there are a few where he really shines, I can't dislike him after seeing the pawnbroker... no matter how bad he is in all his other films... and he was perfect in mars attacks, whatever merit that holds.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #9 : July 18, 2006, 08:24:46 AM »

Pawnbroker is not a very good movie but he is great there. In the first Tibbs is just as good: I want to see the movie undubbed though. One should not forget (if he likes him) his italian movies, expecially Le mani sulla città and Gli indifferenti. Don't like him as Mussolini: not as good as Guinness playing Hitler, for sure.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #10 : July 18, 2006, 08:39:24 AM »

Pawnbroker is not a very good movie but he is great there. In the first Tibbs is just as good: I want to see the movie undubbed though. One should not forget (if he likes him) his italian movies, expecially Le mani sulla città and Gli indifferenti. Don't like him as Mussolini: not as good as Guinness playing Hitler, for sure.

Criterion has just announced this for October release:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=355

So, titoli, are you saying that the film (and Steiger's performance) is good?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #11 : July 18, 2006, 09:12:32 AM »

Definitively. But it's not me only: it's all the histories of italian movies that say it.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #12 : July 18, 2006, 02:29:20 PM »

I think the pawnbroker is one of the best movies I've seen... definitely one of lumet's best at least.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #13 : July 18, 2006, 03:33:57 PM »

In "In The Heat of the Night" (the first Tibbs movie as Titoli put it) he is excellent, despite playing a gum-chewing Southern sheriff he's in relatively restrained mode and does some of his best work.  That's the one he won an Oscar for.  That film also has Sidney Poitier at his best and a nice supporting turn from a young Warren Oates as Steiger's dimwitted but sympathetic deputy.  Now I'm not a big fan of that movie, but the cast is alone worth watching it for IMO.

CISCO

« #14 : July 18, 2006, 06:06:19 PM »

In "In The Heat of the Night" (the first Tibbs movie as Titoli put it) he is excellent, despite playing a gum-chewing Southern sheriff he's in relatively restrained mode and does some of his best work.  That's the one he won an Oscar for.  That film also has Sidney Poitier at his best and a nice supporting turn from a young Warren Oates as Steiger's dimwitted but sympathetic deputy.  Now I'm not a big fan of that movie, but the cast is alone worth watching it for IMO.
i was watching heat last night at 1 a/m on TCM. this time i kept an eye warren oats.

when deloras purdy, being questioned by the cheif lies about sam woods telling her the coolest spot in town is on a tombstone. sherrif rod gives a momentary look of disbeleif as its totally out of charactor for officer woods to think along these lines or for that matter any lines.

and what of  mr. joy boy  relating that alful nightmare about lobsters eating his mother alive ?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059410/

« : July 18, 2006, 09:01:06 PM CISCO »
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines