Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 06:55:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  War of the Worlds
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: War of the Worlds  (Read 4827 times)
Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2005, 11:04:29 PM »

What did people think of War of the Worlds? I felt it was a film of brilliant sequences and bravura moviemaking with some appallingly dumb elements - for example (spolier alert if you haven't seen it) the aliens buried their tripods a million years ago, and have come down now to pilot the tripods to wipe out humanity... so their technology hasn't produced a better fighting machine in a million years? And if they came to earth a million years ago to bury the damn things, why not just take it over then?

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 03:19:28 AM »

i love the story, but the prescence of Tom Cruise prevents me going anywhere near this film.  Just my opinion, but I don't think that bloke has made any good films at all.  Just lots of big budget tosh.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 04:43:00 AM »

I saw it too, it was ok, the fx were great , and I agree on the plot points being somewhat questionable. My main reason for seeing it was that the ferry crossing and farm house sequences were shot on and near the the Hudson River very close to here (about 40 miles North), in Athens, NY. There was a casting call for extras locally to play the refugees. Those seens were shot in November about a year ago(a little chilly around here then).

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Beebs
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 06:02:37 PM »

I'm not a fan of horror movies but does any know if this was a "horror" movie. i'd like to see it but i wouldn't enjoy it if it were a horror movie.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 05:30:18 AM »

Its not a Horror movie, its mostly alien machines and the actual aliens look like ET with Darth Vader shaped heads.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 05:36:16 AM »

I've not seen it, but it can't be any worse than the Timothy Hines version. . .  Shocked

Saturday nights with Groggy
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 11:48:01 AM »

I actually like War of the Worlds. It's The Best Movie Of This Summer and One Of the best this year. When I saw WOTW, I thought it was kind of like both a Kurosawa and a Bergman film. Even though Spielberg is a fan of Kurosawa and Bergman.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 02:24:57 PM »

I really did enjoy War of the Worlds and, like Zach, think its the bets film of the summer (followed very, very closely behind by LOTD. The ending was a little cringworthy but I got lost in the action. By the way I saw this with a US audience in NY and it was excellent, for me heightened the cinema going experience. I do tend to watch films in a solitary posistion but if I had seen this with the usual dour Brit audience then I think it might have lost a little impact. However my viewing of LOTD the night before in NY (in the same cinema infact Lowes on Times Square) was ruined by someone performing loud sexual service on someone 2 rows behind me  Angry (they thankfully shut up about 40 mins in, but why someone would choose Land of the dead is beyond me  Huh )

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cowboy-cine
Road Apple

And you're the one that doesn't keep 'em...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 11:16:37 PM »

[However my viewing of LOTD the night before in NY (in the same cinema infact Lowes on Times Square) was ruined by someone performing loud sexual service on someone 2 rows behind me 

Most likely Tom and Katie were bored by watching War of the Worlds again and slid into your theatre for some privacy.  Wink

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 03:08:36 AM »

Grin

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 03:55:51 AM »

In the eyes of an 11 year old: explosions, visitors from outer space, laser beams and Tom Cruise throwing a peanut butter sandwich at a window which sticks to it..and slowly slides down. What more could you want!

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 04:50:56 AM »

in 11th grade, we had to do a book report on a sci-fi book

I chose The War of the Worlds (because it was the smallest of the books on the list of sci-fi books out teacher gave us to choose from).

I still just read the Cliffs Notes.

And got a 94   Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 04:51:34 AM »

I loved War of the Worlds when I was in 4th or 5th grade - read it about three times in six months. Then I lost my copy at school and never found it. Sad

Saturday nights with Groggy
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 04:59:30 AM »

in 11th grade, we had to do a book report on a sci-fi book

I chose The War of the Worlds (because it was the smallest of the books on the list of sci-fi books out teacher gave us to choose from).

I still just read the Cliffs Notes.

And got a 94   Wink

Champion!

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM