Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 06:23:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Brief Comments
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brief Comments  (Read 4595 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2005, 03:20:26 PM »

Since I was last active here, I was finally able to catch this film (also "My Name Is Nobody"), and I don't really have a lot to say.  Well, I do, but it would be an incoherent mess, so I'll try to be succinct by saying this:

OUATIA is an incredibly well-made film, and Leone should've won an Oscar, along with Delli Colli for cinematography.  The music is just short of OUATITW for Morricone's best ever.   And the cast, for the most part, is fabulous, with DeNiro, Woods, and McGovern giving Oscar-caliber performances.

What falls apart is the story.  I have no problems with the lengths of films in general, but this film was way too drawn out.  I thought that the childhood flashback scenes were absolutely brilliant, and easily the best part of the movie.  The '30s scenes were very entertaining, to say the least.  But I hated, hated, hated the modern-day framing device, and the visit with "modern-day" Deborah, and Senator Max.  Really, really stupid, IMO.

I don't think I could give a good star rating, I'll just leave my comments stand as they are.  The film proves Leone's genius as a film maker, but something's just missing from this, IMO, that he had in his Westerns.  This was Leone's Moby Dick - the White Whale he pursued for fifteen years, virtually destroying himself and those around him in the process - and I don't honestly think he could've done better.  Leone brought out all of the usual excesses that made his Westerns brilliant, but for some reason they just didn't work - at least story-wise - in a gangster film setting.

PS: I had no really problems with the sexual content, though it's easily among the most brutal/graphic I've seen.  I'm not easily shocked.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 04:40:22 AM »

i love that movie, which is surely the best movie ever made... everything is just SO perfect..... but i understand you groggy. I can't argue, 'cause i don't have arguments: i agree with you saying that it is "cinematographicaly" perfect, but you think it doesn't work, i think it does...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 10:02:46 AM »

You need to watch it a few more times. It grows on you.

It's class.
cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 02:17:03 PM »

If you don't like the "modern" part it is because you're not enough in the Movie, you'll have to get inside Noodle's mind, you have to be Noodle, to feel the way he feels...all is about redemption and "nostalgie" if you are not concerned with this strong frendship between Noodles and Max, you miss all the best emotional part of the masterpiece.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 05:15:01 PM »

If you don't like the "modern" part it is because you're not enough in the Movie, you'll have to get inside Noodle's mind, you have to be Noodle, to feel the way he feels...all is about redemption and "nostalgie" if you are not concerned with this strong frendship between Noodles and Max, you miss all the best emotional part of the masterpiece.

I'll try to watch it again over the summer.  Remember, at my house, we have an annual Leone week second of July!  And with our new widescreen plasma TV with stereo system it's sure to be a blast this year!  Grin

I'll have to rent it though, as I don't own OUATIA.  I liked the whole movie up to the rape scene.  I didn't mind the rape scene per se, and it wasn't the reason why I disliked the rest of the movie, I just thought the movie went south after that.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose . . .

Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 08:43:16 AM »

The first time i watched the movie i was kinda dissapointed, but the second time i began to understand it, and it was perfect, ouatia is the best

cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 02:06:26 PM »

The first time I watch the movie I was astomished! and I watch It again after rewinding my tape...

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 04:03:32 AM »

Watched it last night for the first time.  Although I've been a fan of Leone for years, I hadn't got around to watching it, because I'm not generally a lover of the gangster genre.  Thought it was great, albeit a bit uncomfortable to watch in places.

I love the flashbacks - very effective.  And Morricone score is fantastic - how did he manage to be so consistently great?

It would be a 9/10 for me!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 10:33:22 AM »

When I saw it for the first time, I didn't thought was excellent. Like what redyred said, It grows on you. I used to think The Good The Bad and The Ugly was his best, Now It's OUTIA.

It's Sergio Leone's Greatest Film, It's The Greatest Gangster Film Ever, and The Greatest Film Ever.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA is better than Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Casablanca, Kill Bill, Schindler's List, The Seven Samurai, La Dolce Vita, Gone With The Wind, 2001:a space odyssey, Raging Bull, and Ben Hur.

This Film is one of the most optmistic films I have ever seen. Whenever I finish viewing OUTIA, I get very happy. If a guy like Noodles can be strong, I can be strong.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 06:16:04 AM »

Well guys, I have rented the DVD, and if at all possible (that's no guarantee!) then we're rewatching it today!  Grin We'll see if my opinion changes.

The one scene that was SEARED into my mind was Dominic's death and Noodles' killing of Bugsy.  Seriously, I haven't felt that way about a movie scene the first time I'd seen it since I first saw the final shootout of "The Wild Bunch".  I was unable to continue watching the film without rewinding it and watching it just one more time.  Extremely violent, extraordinarily powerful.  Scott Tiler did a magnificent job as young Noodles, where did he ever go to?  Huh  And Morricone's score is one of his two best (in a fight to the death with OUATITW, though if you put a gun to my head and made me choose I'd pick OUATITW).  "Cockeye's Song" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.

(P.S.: However unpopular I may be for saying so, I still stand by my support for McGovern.  Tongue  Grin)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 04:59:51 PM »

Well, I watched it again today, and though I did enjoy it more, I stand by my comments.  It was a masterpiece, yes, but a flawed masterpiece.

Quality of Film - 10
Entertainment - 9
Overall - 9.5

An excellent movie, better than 99% of movies, but still not quite perfect.  I STILL didn't like the 1968 sequences much at all.  Tongue

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 03:17:17 AM »

But you know, Groggy, without the 1968 material, you wouldn't have nearly as many scenes with doors.

I remember the first time I saw the film: 1985, Chicago, at the Biograph (with intermission). Afterwards, riding back to North Suburban Illinois in a car with a friend, I turned and said, "Man, that was a film with a lot of doors." Notice I didn't say anything like, "Oh, that smile at the end means it was all a dream." I was young, and had yet to be tainted with film crit lit and fan ravings. All I was thinking about then was the doors.

And OUATIA has doors aplenty. The mirrored surface Noodles looks into at the train station in 1933 that serves as a portal to 1968 (cue "Yesterday") looks and acts like a door. Fat Moe locks the front door of his establishment so that he can let Noodles in by the side one. Noodles, returning the key to Moe's clock, opens the clock door to get the thing going again. Later, at the masoleum, Mr. Williams opens the door of the vault; it swings shut and Williams opens it again. When Williams visits Deborah, she tries to convince him to leave by a back door; Williams, declining, leaves by another door and makes a discovery. Senator Bailey also wants Williams to leave by a certain door after finishing a job for him; Williams passes on the job, but he does take advantage of the proffered escape route.

This is not to say there are no doors in the 1920s and 1930s sequences, just that the film would be noticeably threshold-deficient were the 1968 portions of the film excised.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 12:01:36 PM »

I don't want to derail the thread or anything, but which one exactly is Cockeye's Song? I'm guessing that whistling tune.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 12:29:03 PM »

Yeah, it's the whistly panpipes theme. If you watch carefully in the scene where noodles rejoins the gang after seeing Deborah's train leave you will see Cockeye actually playing it himself on the panpipes.

It's class.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM