Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 10:54:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sergio Sollima's Revolver
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sergio Sollima's Revolver  (Read 4332 times)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2005, 04:22:56 PM »

Has anyone here seen it... I saw a trailer at blue underground and I know a few of you are pretty big sollima fan's... it looks fantastic, I want to buy the dvd but was wondering if anyone could articulate whether or not in fact it was any good.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »

http://www.blue-underground.com/show_trailer.php?trailer=http://www.blue-underground.com/dev/quicktime/revolverlg.mov&width=320&height=188

there it is... the trailer, it looks fantastic.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 01:02:57 AM »

wow, although no one seems interested at all, I must point out I just learned morricone did the amazing sounding(on the trailer anyway) score and carlo simi the sets

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 05:41:50 AM »

Just caught the trailer, yea it does look good.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 12:14:43 PM »

I realized i could get it in a two-fer with grand slam for 12 bucks... that sealed the deal

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 04:35:42 AM »

I've got 'Violent City' (Citta' Violenta) 1970 -  which is Sollima's first Italian Crime Movie i think after the Spaghetti stint... Charles Bronson, Jill Ireland & Telly Savalas on good form. A good hitman -old code and honour, everybody having there price. It does feel like one of his films spirit.
The Morricone soundtrack is quite highly sort after.
Anchor bay have a good disc about. And in the UK its available on one of those cheap 3.99 Hollywood DVD, but before you think its one those nasty 'Direct Source' fiasco's....  Its the exactly transfer just minus the extra interview. Bargain!

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 02:40:27 PM »

I just got it and watched it... and i must say it is a masterpiece, and on top of that it's one of the best non-leone morricone scores i've ever heard, right up there with his companeros score, the movie is like the big gundown, the getaway, and dirty harry, all mixed into one, he really does a fantastic job of taking the great story and mixing both that spaghetti western feel and the gritty 70's american crime feel together... it's easily one of my favorite movies, Oliver Reed and Ennio Morricone are worth it alone, the rest is just a great compliment.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 05:49:54 PM »

gc sounds like I'll have to get a copy.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 07:52:41 PM »

definitly... you can get it coupled with grand slam, which I must say is also very enjoyable, with coincidentally a decent morricone score... back to my point, at amazon for the same price as getting it alone through blue underground

Jack of Hearts
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 07:56:44 AM »

Grandpa - do you know if Ollie Reed had his voice dubbed in Revolver or is it his own?  Sometimes it sounds like him with the American accent but I'm just not sure.  His natural voice is fairly quiet.  I loved seeing him in the Revolver role, when he was still young and sharp, before he went off the rails.  He was a great actor and I IMO this was one of his best performances.  I thought Fabio Testi was good as well and especially the opening sequence was quite sensitive and yet harsh.  I loved the music too - really glad I bothered to get it.

Jack

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 08:39:41 PM »

well considering it was the first oliver reed movie i've seen, I can't really say, but it was a great performance even on mute so... and your right the music is fantastic and oliver reed is truly a great great actor.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 12:05:36 AM »

Wow, I never thought I'd see a somewhat negative overall review of the movie where the only real complaint was about a morricone score. are you mad man?! yeah the clothing was odd, but clothing and score was tiresome and the rest was pretty good? and it was dissapointing? that doesn't make much sense maybe you can elaborate on that... I agree with everything else, but if you say reed and testi were great, the plot and character development were satisfactory, and maybe i read this the wrong way but how can it be not that deep and not finally much of a thriller, no i take that back, I don't think it's much of either of those, but it's a good mix not really choosing one over the other, which I like... any way you look at it it's funny that the only real negative in the review was the score by morricone and the clothing, which I thought was pretty average, nothing to be tiresome in my opinion... personally I think the score is one of his best.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 10:58:49 AM »

also never meant to be negative towards derringdo... I guess the discretion was that I didn't take "Revolver's not finally that much of a thriller" as a condemning of the way it was made, like saying it didn't "work as a thriller"(which is now obviously what you meant), for some reason I just thought it was a declaration that it wasn't a thriller, not that it failed in that category.

Christopher
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 03:40:25 PM »

This sounds pretty interesting. I've seen it out in the two pack. Will probably be a while before I could get it, though.

I've seen Violent City, which I liked.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 11:10:08 AM »

If you're considering getting the two pack, in case i didn't already mention, the movie it's coupled with... grand slam, is fantastic as well... one of the best heist movies I've ever seen... probably second to the getaway in fact.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM