Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:28:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)  (Read 11015 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2005, 07:55:24 PM »

Caught this today the whole way through for the very first time, was impressed.

Henry Fonda and Harry Morgan cowpunchers ride into town in 1885 Nevada & go to the saloon, looking for a good time. Fonda finds out that the saloon girl he's looking for left town all thats left is to drink or play cards, but Director William Wellman burys this whole backstory thankfully way into the backgroung. The real story is about a lynching and how people get caught up in a whirlwind and things get out of hand.

A rancher named Kincade is reported shot thru the head and his cattle rustled. A posse is formed and Fonda and Morgan head out with the townies comprised of both hot heads and some level headed to try and catch the thieves and murderes. The posse is officially led by a deputy sheriff but is taken over by an ex-Confederate blowhard officer who wears a ragtag uniform.

They catch up with the rustlers (one of whom is Anthony Quinn) and (after some questioning and protests by Fonda and a few of the townies to wait and see if their stories check out) string them up. Only to meet up with the sherriff who tells the posse that Kincade isn't dead.

The film moves along pretty good and is not bogged down by sappy love stories though Fonda's love interest does make a brief appearence.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:58:31 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 01:05:00 AM »

oh man... I've been wanting to see this for so long and I was up(nearly all night) at 5am this morning and saw that it was coming on AMC at 6am but could not stay awake for another hour, not to mention the entire duration of the movie... maybe next time, it sounds fantastic.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 06:56:00 AM »

This is a good one. I saw this a couple of months ago after reading the book. The book was very good, and although the movie was a little condensed, it managed to get the main message across very well.

BTW CJ, you may want to put a little spoiler warning up there.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 06:33:45 AM by spag fan » Logged
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 04:04:44 PM »

A classic with a memorable moral tone to it about a rush to judgement.† † †Like in Hang Em' High, you want all your facts first.† Cause if you make a mistake, either the law gets you, the conscience gets to you, or something comes down the pike after you.† I gues we've all seen OUATITW or High Plains Drifter.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 06:10:43 PM »

The Ox-Bow Incident 1943 4.5/5  A true classic, has a great beginning and a great ending tends to be a bit of a "meller" in the second act but you can see some influences that later crop up in Spaghetti Westerns & in "The Great Silence". Henry Fonda, Harry Morgan, Dana Andrews, Anthony Quinn and a great cast of supporting actors.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:43:35 PM »

Henry Fonda's last movie before he fought in the Pacific is an overlooked classic.  I haven't read the book but the movie is wonderful, an old-fashioned morality tale.  Its my second favorite Fonda movie (after OUATITW) and its also one of Orson Welles' favorites, too.  9/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 05:35:39 AM »

Superb talkie Western carefully build brick by brick. The screenplay is excellent; it ain't easy making a masterpiece out of such a stationed story, especially with that much talk and that little action. I guess the ending could have been a bit more bitter, it's not that this one's bad, but I just don't think such a bloodthirsty gang would care much for hanging 'only' three men (one of them being very old and slightly crazy and another one being Mexican), innocent or guilty no matter. But that's only a minor flaw. The performances are very subtle and convincing, and the cinematography takes the best from the sets and filming locations. And just in case you happen to be a callous sonuvabitch, there's the ''Red River Valley'' to soften you enough.

Must see.

9/10

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:38:41 AM by Hordak » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 06:00:48 AM »

The opening scene with Gil Carter (Henry Fonda) and Art Croft (Henry Morgan) watching the picture of a woman hung above the bar is interesting and reminds a lot of a similar opening scene in another William A. Wellman's Western; Yellow Sky, made only a few years later.

I was also wondering what was this movie's reputation then? If Fred Zinnemann's nearly 10 years younger High Noon was criticized for showing a whole American town being full of cowards, I don't understand how they didn't burn every copy of this one showing a whole town being full of crazy murderers (save seven, and the sheriff).

Henry Fonda doesn't have that much screen time and the importance his role actually diminishes as the movie goes on, making him just an unfortunate bystander, but he still adds to the sorriness and hopelessness of it all with a few great lines. It's interesting cause this also somewhat reminded me of 12 Angry Men.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 11:08:07 PM by Hordak » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »

What was it Kubrick said, Anyone can take a stand against lynching the innocent? But make a picture that questions lynching the guilty--then you've got something.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 04:40:02 PM »

The reading of the letter scene is one of the great moments in cinema, everything else, a tad bit overstated. Yellow Sky is much better, in my mind.

DD, there's that high rating lol.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 05:29:01 PM »

Did you catch some of the costuming similar to "The Great Silence"

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 11:43:45 PM »

What was it Kubrick said, Anyone can take a stand against lynching the innocent? But make a picture that questions lynching the guilty--then you've got something.

lol, I don't think that many people back then questioned Anthony Quinn's character was guilty. (Of something.)

DD, there's that high rating lol.

Wink

Did you catch some of the costuming similar to "The Great Silence"

Similar? Uh, no, not really, looked pretty standard to me. But what do I know about that, right?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 12:01:48 AM »

Here's a few stills:

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 03:29:09 AM »

One guy has a scarf under his hat in one scene like Loco in TGS.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 03:32:36 AM »

Can't recall... A character or just some stunt?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM