Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:13:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Proud Ones (1956)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Proud Ones (1956)  (Read 6235 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2005, 05:06:17 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049639/

Has anyone heard of "The Proud Ones" (1956), a Western by Robert D. Webb?  I had never heard of this movie until I caught it on the Fox Movie Channel today.  Very interesting movie, anyway.

The plot basically involved Robert Ryan (playing the good guy for a change) as the Marshal of a small Kansas town who is accused of murdering a gunfighter working for a gambler/crimeboss played by Robert Middleton and run out of town.  A few years later he's appointed Marshal of another town, but finds himself facing off against Middleton again, as well as the son of the man he killed, played by Jeffrey Hunter.  Hunter eventually decides to side with the Marshal, who as it turns out is losing his eyesight from a hemorrhage in the optic nerve (shades of "Minnesota Clay", perhaps?).

There were a few neat things which may or may not have influenced Leone and others, including a line by Ryan to Hunter: "When you draw on a man, don't talk!  Shoot him!"  Sound a bit like a line of dialogue from a certain movie we all know (albeit admittedly not as well delivered)?  Wink Also, it was funny for me as a fan of "Rio Bravo" to see Walter Brennan rehearsing his Stumpy role for that film (the older deputy standing guard in the jail while the leads take care of business).

This isn't a great Western but I still found it entertaining.  It's great that Ryan got a chance to be a hero in a Western (usually he's a bad guy or anti-hero), and Hunter, Brennan and Middleton were solid as well.  Virginia Mayo as the heroine/love interest was kind of annoying, but thankfully her part wasn't that big.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:54:37 AM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:51:47 AM »

Good western, but not that good. And not one of Robert Ryan's best roles. The atmosphere is a pretty clean one, despite Lucien Ballard as DoP. 6/10

But it contains 2 blood squibs, the largest squibs I have ever seen in a film before the 60s.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:20:52 AM »

I'm just wondering if any of you have seen it and what you thought  of it...

I haven't seen it (yet), but you might wanna ask Groggy. Cheesy

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »

kinda funny to see Walter Brennan with a mustache  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »

I caught this a while back - it's a good movie with arguably the best score I've ever heard in a classic Hollywood movie.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »

Thanks for merging my topic and making me look foolish, Dust Devil  Wink

Check the index(es) next time before opening a topic (though sometimes even that won't help). Wink

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 09:02:26 AM »

There were a few neat things which may or may not have influenced Leone and others, including a line by Ryan to Hunter: "When you draw on a man, don't talk!  Shoot him!"  Sound a bit like a line of dialogue from a certain movie we all know (albeit admittedly not as well delivered)?

What about the noisy spurs of the mexican gunslinger?

Anyway I liked this. I think it suffers from lack of a great antagonist for Ryan, but the story is original and fast-paced. I don't like the score, though it has the whistled tune. 7\10

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:26:38 PM »

What about the noisy spurs of the mexican gunslinger?

I think it suffers from lack of a great antagonist for Ryan,

Gotta disagree with you there. I though Robert Middleton was a great antagonist. He played the character as a suave villain who controlled everything and thought he could do whatever he wanted because he had money. If anything, I wish he had more screen time and resorted to more desperate tactics to bump off Ryan's character.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »

I caught this a while back - it's a good movie with arguably the best score I've ever heard in a classic Hollywood movie.

Let's not get carried away.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »

The only score that compares is the Mexican death tune in Rio Bravo but I don't even know if that counts.

I don't see what's the big deal?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2iV061Bk8

I can't seriously be alone on this? Really?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 02:11:22 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2iV061Bk8

I can't seriously be alone on this? Really?

yes, nice theme  Afro

Anyway, I am really due for a re-watch of this movie. I saw it once like 2 years ago and really liked it, and I'd like to see it again soon. Unfortunately, Netflix says  there is a "Long Wait" to rent this dvd, so I just bought it on eBay, it's selling dirt cheap on both ebay and Amazon (mine was $6 on eBay including shipping, Brand New  Afro )

I'll report back once I have seen it  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:12:18 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 06:58:34 PM »

just received the dvd in the mail. The cover made me laugh: a generic picture of some generic silhouetted gunmen with the generic super-ominous line, "When the law is broken, justice can't be far behind" http://www.amazon.com/The-Proud-Ones-Robert-Ryan/dp/B000EHSVW8

20th Century Fox must have put a lot of thought into this release   Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:12:00 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 02:40:27 AM »

so I finally got around to watching the dvd (second viewing; first one was on tv, either TCM or Fox Movie Channel, like three years ago).

I give the movie a 7.5/10

The whistled theme is nice, problem is that it seems to be the only bit of music in the movie (except the songs played on the saloon piano), so it's just the same song played over and over, but it is a nice tune.

I guess the movie would have been even better if John Wayne had played the sheriff; as good an actor as Robert Ryan is, he's not John Wayne... but few are. Also, the one thing I really thought hurt the movie was all this talk about the backstory. Between the sheriff and the kid and the girl and the saloon owner, blah blah blah... I think it could have been better if it was just a straight sheriff vs. bad guy movie, like Rio Bravo or something (more about that soon), without all that talk about the backstory, and without the stuff about Ryan's eye problems.

-----------------------

So, it was mentioned above by Groggy and titoli, that line about when you have to shoot don't talk, and the noise from the Mexican gunslinger's spurs.

But I think there may have been even more classic Westerns that, er... borrowed from this film. I'll list them here in the order from what is IMO most likely to have been borrowed to least likely:

--- There are at least two, maybe three, scene scenes where the sheriff takes a nighttime walk through the town, which IMO may well have been an inspiration for the similar scenes in Rio Bravo. The scene in OUATITW where Frank has to walk through Flagstone to his horse, when his men are gunning for him, may well have been a reference to those scenes (though I assume that the reference was probably to the more-famous Rio Bravo than to The Proud Ones.

-- Also, part of this movie involves some associates of the long-armed villain being held in the jail, and the deputies are Walter Brennan and a kid - in Rio Bravo, they made the whole movie about that scenario.

In The Proud Ones, there's a big shootout at the end that isn't the typical Western duel in the street, but a shootout with guys hiding in a barn - similar to the final shootout in Rio Bravo. (Unfortunately, in The Proud Ones, there's no scene at the end with Virginia Mayo in black tights  Wink ).

--- Both movies have a comedic Mexican character - in this movie, he is a gunman, while in Rio Bravo, he is the sheriff's friend.

--- In both movies, the villain (Honest John in TPO and Nathan Burdette in RB) are not the snarling tough guys, but have a phony air of respectability and let others do the shooting for them

-----

I liked Robert Middleton, Walter Brennan, and Rodolfo Acosta (the Mexican gunman) a lot. But IMO, the three highest-billed actors Robert Ryan, Virginia Mayo, and Jeffrey Hunter though generally good actors, don't give particularly good performances here.

So, while the movie could have been better with better leads and eliminating some of the backstory/eye problems crap, this is a solid Western.  Afro

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM