Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:04:45 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Leone Exhibition Premiere! A couple of pictures... (large size)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Leone Exhibition Premiere! A couple of pictures... (large size)  ( 9455 )
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

« : July 28, 2005, 09:39:58 PM »

Well, I had a great time! It was a really well put together event.

I was lucky enough to tag along on a tour of the exibit that Frayling was giving to his family just before the presentations. It was amazing to see how much he knew about every peice in the collection, and how excited he was to show and tell. I also had a chance to speak with Mickey Knox, John Landis and Joe Dante. I embarrassed myself by going up to the bad guy from desperado and saying "hey - aren't you the bad guy from desperado?" He was very nice, but I think I should have tried to figure out his actual name before I approached him.

A couple of great tidbits I overheard/asked about/saw in person:

1. The one (and only) poncho is there. There are sewn up bullet holes on the back of it (confirming that there was only one used- these holes are from fistful, and they can be seen in stills from the good, the bad and the ugly. All of the other gear is there (boots/original snakeskin grips/belt/arm brace) - no sheepskin vest and the gun itself is as replica. I asked the Prof where they got it. He said from Eastwood who reportedly had some trouble finding it. (He had it on display at the Hog's Breath until someone tried to steal it - it was then stuffed in a laundry bag???!!! and buried under a pile of his other stuff (according to Frayling's wife)

2. They found the original steel plate from the end scene in fistful - but the owner would not lend it!

3. They also found the wagons from GBU and OUTITW, but had no space to display them!

4. John Landis was 18 when he P.A.'d on OUATITW. He tells a great anecdote in the small documentary that they have playing, which I won't spoil for you.

5. No pictures allowed ( the exibit book has pretty much everything in it anyways- it's a great book) I only found this out after I had taken a few shots. I kind of feel like I'm doing free advertising for the exibit, so I'm going to post a couple of shots I took before being confronted by a security guard (who kept his eye on me thereafter)

On to a couple of pics, I don't want to display too many, as I'm a little wary of permissions.....they are large size!

1. Here's the first meeting between Frayling and Claudia. I just happened to be there at the time....she had no idea who Frayling was at first!

2. Claudia in front of the posters....she still looks great...

3. I have more shots but I'll just whet your appitite with this....

I highly recommend seeing the exibit - I travelled all the way from Toronto and it was worth it!

Jordan Krug

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

« #1 : July 28, 2005, 11:14:30 PM »

WOW! i wish i didn't live in the UK right now. thanks for sharing the pics.

That could just be cannon fire.
Hanley
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #2 : July 29, 2005, 01:00:05 AM »

Thanks for the insight into the exhibition.  The guy who has the metal breast plate from FOD is the assistant art director (CL). In relation to that point, were many (or just a handful) of CL's sketches in the exhibition?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : July 29, 2005, 03:54:37 AM »

Cool and Thanks, I hope this is a traveling exhibition.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #4 : July 29, 2005, 04:42:37 AM »

Neat-o.  Too bad I'm not going to get to go. . .  :'(

Saturday nights with Groggy
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

« #5 : July 29, 2005, 06:44:34 AM »

Thanks for the insight into the exhibition.  The guy who has the metal breast plate from FOD is the assistant art director (CL). In relation to that point, were many (or just a handful) of CL's sketches in the exhibition?

Are you referring to Carlo Simi's sketches? I'm not sure who CL stands for? Do you know this person? There were maybe 5-10 sketches of Carlo's, including the original costume sketch for Eastwood (proving the poncho was very much Carlo's idea), costume sketches for OUATITW and I think GBU, and some blueprint designs for the house in OUATITW, I think most if not all of these sketches are reproduced in the exibit book if you're able to pick it up.

Hanley
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #6 : July 29, 2005, 11:54:17 AM »

Are you referring to Carlo Simi's sketches? I'm not sure who CL stands for? Do you know this person? There were maybe 5-10 sketches of Carlo's, including the original costume sketch for Eastwood (proving the poncho was very much Carlo's idea), costume sketches for OUATITW and I think GBU, and some blueprint designs for the house in OUATITW, I think most if not all of these sketches are reproduced in the exibit book if you're able to pick it up.

CL refers to Carlo Leva who was generally Carlo Simi's assistant in the FOD, FDM, GBU, OUTITW etc. Carlo Leva, whom I met at his home in June/July 2001, made quite a lot of sketches, particularly relating to interior/exterior details, as well as the GBU cemetary layout etc. Carlo Simi (trained architect) designed buildings, the GBU bridge, costumes etc. The fact that Carlo Simi did a sketch of Clint Eastwood in costume does not imply that he designed the costumes. Clint Eastwood said that he brought the poncho etc with him, and Eli Wallach said (including to me in October 2002) that he brought knee-high chaps (and a large hat with an eagle on it) with him. You see the chaps in Carlo Simi's sketch, suggesting that the sketch was made to document the costumes rather than to pre-design them.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

« #7 : July 29, 2005, 03:04:59 PM »

Looking through the museum guide, there are a few of Leva's sketches - including that great one of the cemetary that you mentioned. That's great that you had a chance to meet him. I wonder why he wouldn't lend the breastplate?

As for the poncho, Frayling really went out of his way to point out that particular sketch to me and was quite sure it meant that Carlo had designed the poncho portion of the costume- the reason being that there was also a first draft script at the exhibition with an unfilmed prologue, during which Eastwoods character steals the poncho from a mexican who is fishing at a riverbank. So, he's quite sure that because it was in the script, it would have been something that Carlo would have integrated into his costume designs. Frayling believes the poncho was purchased in italy, although it's possible that Eastwood was simply following the script details and purchased the poncho in Hollywood to go along with the character description. But in this case, (I should have mentioned this before now that I think about it) I guess maybe it's the writer(s) that came up with the poncho, unless they saw Carlo's sketch first and integrated it into the script after. (chicken and the egg??) Knowing all of this though, I think we can assume that Eastwood didn't come up with the poncho idea in itself.

CL refers to Carlo Leva who was generally Carlo Simi's assistant in the FOD, FDM, GBU, OUTITW etc. Carlo Leva, whom I met at his home in June/July 2001, made quite a lot of sketches, particularly relating to interior/exterior details, as well as the GBU cemetary layout etc. Carlo Simi (trained architect) designed buildings, the GBU bridge, costumes etc. The fact that Carlo Simi did a sketch of Clint Eastwood in costume does not imply that he designed the costumes. Clint Eastwood said that he brought the poncho etc with him, and Eli Wallach said (including to me in October 2002) that he brought knee-high chaps (and a large hat with an eagle on it) with him. You see the chaps in Carlo Simi's sketch, suggesting that the sketch was made to document the costumes rather than to pre-design them.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #8 : July 31, 2005, 03:24:54 PM »

You make me feel very, very envious. Was the exhibition very interactive, I remember reading that there would be screens playing back interviews with cast and crew. I hope this does come to New York soon, I would take an extended holiday to see this, especially if its held in the MOMA, in which many very early Westerns are held.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

« #9 : August 02, 2005, 04:07:48 AM »

wow, thats freakin great, the poncho is beyond cool, props

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
leonehayrani
Chicken Thief

« #10 : August 02, 2005, 12:13:10 PM »

I'm glad that the opinions of the exhibition seem very positive and that someone from Toronto was happy to have travelled all that way.  I was thinking of taking a trip down to Southern California myself for it and this further cements it since I don't have nearly as far to go.

It really is too bad you can't take your own pictures, though!!!!  I really was hoping that pictures were allowed, but I am not surprised that they aren't.   

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

« #11 : August 02, 2005, 06:51:55 PM »

You make me feel very, very envious. Was the exhibition very interactive, I remember reading that there would be screens playing back interviews with cast and crew. I hope this does come to New York soon, I would take an extended holiday to see this, especially if its held in the MOMA, in which many very early Westerns are held.

It was somewhat interactive, almost everything is behind glass, including a great big book of all of the still photos taken for OUATITW - I would have loved to flip through that! There are 4 or 5 short video presentations (the longest being about 10 min or so) which are pretty good- the best being the  long one - it has some great interviews, including one with Eastwood. I do recall hearing that is wasn't going to be a travelling exhibition because of the size and the details of the various owners of the materials- but I could be wrong.  Hopefully you get a chance to see it.

Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

« #12 : August 05, 2005, 05:20:21 AM »

;D

I was there too and had a grand time! I think the biggest thrill was actually talking to Mickey Knox, who wrote the English dialog for GBU and OUATITW. He was impressed that I had read his published memoir THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE DOLCE VITA, a book I'd only heard of through posts on this website (but bought as quickly as I could, once I knew of its existence). He signed an exhibit poster for me.

The exhibit will be up through January 22 or so, so there's plenty of time to go see it.

BTW, I traveled all the way from Georgia, clear over the other side of the North American continent, to attend this.

VA Gringo
Road Apple

Whem you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

« #13 : August 17, 2005, 09:11:51 AM »

My wife and I had just arrived in LAX and were taking cab to our motel when I saw those glorious red banners on the lamp posts. "Once Upon a Time in Italy: The Spaghetti Westerns of Sergio Leone, opening at the Gene Autry Museum..." I turned to her and said, "We are SO there." (I felt very lucky to be there that week.)
      The exhibit was exceptional, even if its not quite a big as you may imagine, you will need a few hours to really take in everything from production art to costumes. Seeing the serape alone was maginfico! Nonetheless, its still awesome in the true sense of the word. The graphics and displays were very well done. I would like to clarify some thing for those who haven't been able to attend.  First, interactivity: there were three screens running clips from Leone films, first from "Collossus of Rhodes" in a section on Leone's early career, next from TGTB&TU, the climactic gunfight, the third from OUATITW (Harmonica's arrival). At the end are the interviews with various directors on how Leone influenced them, as well as reminescenes from Clint Eastwood. There are benches in front each screen to allow you to watch them all.
      During the exhibit there are headphone to listen to various musical scores. Most of the headphones, but not all, worked the day we were there. (Tuesday 8/2, no special guests that day, and be aware, the musuem is closed Mondays.)
    The reason you are not able to photograph most of the exhibit is that camera flashes can be damaging to props and posters especially. The poster selection is exquisite, with lots of European variations you won't see in person together, perhaps ever again. I was under the impression I could take photos of the statues representing Harmonica's arrival at the train station, so I did.
      The gift shop will allow you to buy a near complete "Joe" outfit, vest shirt serape and hat. There are some good posters, but the bad news is the great red and black banner is not available as a poster for sale. Well, you can take a photo of it outside the entrance and have it blown up, eh? The shop told me the image was copyrighted and they weren't allowed to put it on the poster. They do have a souvenir poster you can buy, but the graphics aren't very impressive. I suspect those banners all over LA will soon become collector's items. (Some billboards exist as well.)
      The rest of the museum is great as well, especially if you want to see the history of american westerns, from William S Hart to present. Didn't get downstairs tho, looked like some great history of the real US west.

Michael

« : August 17, 2005, 09:31:03 AM VA Gringo »

This train will stop at Tucumcari.
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines