Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:25:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Leone help for a new fan
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leone help for a new fan  (Read 6539 times)
Taraka
Road Apple

El Hefe

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2003, 11:16:38 PM »

Forgive me if I ask questions that are answered elsewhere on this great site. I am semi-new to Leone, and I currently own only the Dollars trilogy. I found this site while searching for a release date for Once...West, and having easily found it here I thought I might try and join the discussion a bit. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Can The Good.... be viewed as a prequel to the other 2 movies? What I mean is, has anyone proposed a chronology for these 3 movies. My impression is that it takes places prior to Fistful. Without touching on any nerves, are we "supposed" to disect the connections between these 3 movies (ie settings, characters, "name", chronology), or do most fans allow them to exist independently of another?

Is Duck, You Sucker also refered to as Once upon a time in the Revolution? Is this a VHS only title atm?

I have seen references to Fistful of Dynamite and My Name is Nobody (both titles I had never heard of before today). For a guy like me who has only seen the Dollars movies and UOATITWest/America, can you recommend other English (spoken or subtitled) Leone titles.

Thanx in advance.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2003, 11:42:55 PM by Taraka » Logged

What we have here is a failure to coagulate!
Taraka
Road Apple

El Hefe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 11:42:20 PM »

Ok, I answered most of my above questions by checking out the other threads (especially the DYS/FODynamite/OUATITR refernce). I even checked out the GBU--->PONCHO thread, and saw that indeed I was touching on a nerve. Good stuff though. Anyone who still wants to respond please do, I think I only touched on the answers I was looking for, and I am sure many of you can expand on them further. I am also still looking for other Leone titles that can be recommended.

TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 04:06:30 AM »

Taraka, I think the best thing is you read Christopher Frayling's biography of Sergio Leone, called "Something to do with death".
You'll discover, for example, that the dollar trilogy was not planned before the making of the movies, and many other things.
Have you a good reading.

Bye and bye

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 12:34:05 PM »

"Once upon a time the revolution", "A fistful of dynamite" and "Duck you sucker" are different US names of the same movie.

As for "My name is nobody", it's a speghetti western but not a Leone one.

I hope this will be helpful.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 01:20:56 PM »

I think you don't need to look for chronology in the dollars-movies.  The three films stand apart and they are set in whatever time necessary for the story.  You can find details that may tell you that this film comes before that one and so, but I think Leone didn't mean to.

For My Name is Nobody Leone was executive producer and rumours say that he's directed the opening sequence for Nobody.  And you can see in the film he probably had a some influence.

For the rest:

A Fistful of Dollars is from 1964
For a Few Dollars More from 1965
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly from 1966

Duck You Sucker/Once... Revolution 1972

OUTIA 1984

Hope this was of any help.  If you have more questions, just ask...  I should be getting my fourth star soon and become a die hard senior  ;)member or something.... Grin

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 03:51:10 PM »

Don't forget Colossus of Rhodes.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Taraka
Road Apple

El Hefe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 04:31:18 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Knowing that DYS is the only one I haven't seen is good and bad. Good in the aspect that I don't need to spend a fortune on other titles (the only Leone title for rent at my local Ballbuster Video store is Once...America, so I am forced to buy these movies, which in the long run is better anyway), and bad in that there is only one more Leone movie for me to experience for the first time.

I can't wait for the release of OUATITW on DVD...as far as a newbie's perspective goes, I consider it the "Leone masterpiece" that so many discuss. Don't get me wrong, Once....America is a great film, but if I were asked to pick between the two I would cast my vote to the West. Perhaps it is just a question of which movie a person can identify with more.

TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 11:17:47 PM »

... DYS is the only one I haven't seen ...

A little hint: don't read nothing about DYS, neither books or in the internet, just watch the movie. Now you know where it stands in Leone filmography and, trust me, that's enough.

Taraka
Road Apple

El Hefe

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2003, 03:21:15 AM »

No worries there, I am not much for reading about films anyway. In fact this is the only film related site that I have ever visited.

I am not sure what you are trying to say about the film itself. If I had to guess, it sounds like you are saying that the movie gets bad press, and I should watch it and form my own feelings. Correct?

TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2003, 04:29:44 AM »

No, I never meant so, also because it would have been very unkind to you to presume that reading about the movie can distort or influence your own feelings.
The fact is that I saw DYS, just like you, after all the other movies from the dollar trilogy on, and I knew nothing about it but its chronological position. I consider that a fortune to me because many things surprised me, so that's why I told you so.
As for the press, I'm not much interested in it in general, so I don't really know if the movie's got bad or good press.
Now I can tell you a secret: I love DYS, it's one of my six favourite Leone movies...  Wink

Bye and bye

« Last Edit: April 04, 2003, 04:31:25 AM by TBPJMR » Logged

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 09:06:38 AM »

A little hint: don't read nothing about DYS, neither books or in the internet, just watch the movie. Now you know where it stands in Leone filmography and, trust me, that's enough.

I agree.The film IS under-rated in Leone's 'ourve',probably becuase he did not initially intend to direct it.

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 06:59:15 AM »

If the three movies are regarded as a continuous trilogy,
the GBU is most often thought of as a sequel to the two other dollar movies.However,it's worth noting that there are no references to the other dollar movies in any of them.

Duck You Sucker is also referred to as A Fistful of Dynamite.

aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 07:15:17 AM »

If the three movies are regarded as a continuous trilogy,
the GBU is most often thought of as a sequel to the two other dollar movies.However,it's worth noting that there are no references to the other dollar movies in any of them.

Duck You Sucker is also referred to as A Fistful of Dynamite.

Why people speaks about DOLLAR trilogy ? It's a trilogy but dollars appears only in the title of two first movies no ? Its a CLINT trilogy or a PONCHO trilogy ? Do you agree ?

Nobody speaks about a "Once upon a time " trilogy : in te west, the revolution, in America ?

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 11:09:56 AM »

The 'dollars' trilogy is called 'dollars' trilogy because it's all about... dollars.  The main theme and the raison d'tre for the main character... is to get dollars, as many as possible.

And OUTIW, DYS and OUTIA have been referred to as the 'time'-trilogy, as it deals with main characters who don't feel well in the time they are living and fight with frustrations from the past...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2003, 03:26:53 AM »

The 'dollars' trilogy is called 'dollars' trilogy because it's all about... dollars.  The main theme and the raison d'tre for the main character... is to get dollars, as many as possible.

And OUTIW, DYS and OUTIA have been referred to as the 'time'-trilogy, as it deals with main characters who don't feel well in the time they are living and fight with frustrations from the past...

Il buono, interesting point of view but......
Dollars and Banks are very present in DYS  and past is important also for Mortimer and El Indio !  
I'm quite sure than if Clint would have been hired in DYS in place of James Coburn , people would speak about Dollar Quartet  (whith or without a Poncho )

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM