Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 03:38:53 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Favorite Peckinpah Film
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
: What is your favorite Sam Peckinpah film?
Ride The High Country   -3 (7.5%)
Major Dundee   -3 (7.5%)
The Wild Bunch   -15 (37.5%)
The Ballad of Cable Hogue   -1 (2.5%)
Junior Bonner   -0 (0%)
Straw Dogs   -1 (2.5%)
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid   -6 (15%)
Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia   -9 (22.5%)
The Osterman Weekend   -0 (0%)
Other   -2 (5%)
: 33

: Favorite Peckinpah Film  ( 44847 )
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #135 : May 15, 2007, 05:49:02 AM »

FC you appear to be slowly but surely becoming a Peckinpah convert!! :o

I hope so  O0

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #136 : May 15, 2007, 08:54:45 AM »

FC you appear to be slowly but surely becoming a Peckinpah convert!! :o

Hardly, the only thing I remotley like from his camp is PGABTK and Straw Dogs.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #137 : May 16, 2007, 05:23:19 AM »

Hardly, the only thing I remotley like from his camp is PGABTK and Straw Dogs.
I've got a widescreen video of Straw Dogs which i bought because we lived in St.Buryan(the Cornish village where it was filmed) for a short while and despite (due to its subject matter) it being a taboo subject in the village,we were told about it be legendary folk/blues singer singwriter Wizz Jones in a gig he played near Sennen Cove.Its a really good movie in fact ,a Cornish western(they call themselves the Wild West down there)and for me  its much better paced and enjoyable than PSABTK or WB.

St.Buryan definately isn't a very cheerful place but the photography in Straw Dogs does make it look a helluva lot more bleaker than i remember it to be.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #138 : May 16, 2007, 08:35:01 AM »

Taboo..
Interesting. I'd guess nobody over there would be overwhelmed with the films content, but it seems to be a no-go there...
I wanted to shoot there for my Peckinpah-film. But then I learned that the Scottish BBC's Kermode was just shooting there, so I left it alone since that location wasn't 'exclusive' any longer in terms of documentary footage (their o.k. doc is called MAN TRAP).

So maybe it was better I didn't go, eh? Not welcome, asking the town folks about 'ol Sam shooting in St:Buryan....

But I went to Mapache's Hacienda and dug out WILD BUNCH ammo, that was fun :)

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #139 : May 16, 2007, 09:03:15 AM »

We were only there for 10 months in 1999 but things didn't work out and we moved back to the SE.

Unfortunately much like the Welsh,they're not terribly friendly in Cornwall to the English(they don't count themselves as English) and in our case it seemed that by buying a house in this part of the country(many London commuters do this,as well as people buying Cornish property as holiday homes)we were contributing in pushing up house prices which was perceived as denying young born and bred Cornish couples from being able to take a step on the property ladder.

I suppose thats  understandable  but we also encountered some Cornish Heritage nutters who were handing out pamplets about the English somehow ethnically cleansing them of their culture and heritage.They would be picketing neolithic sites like Carn Euny village because they are owned by the English Heritage charity but overlooked the fact that the costly maintenance of these sites meant that they were running at a loss so English Heritage was in fact heavily subsidising the upkeep of these places.

St.Buryan just didn't have any atmosphere (try instead St.Just north of Lands End where theres a good night to be had with plenty of pubs including a fiddley-dee night on Mondays),and like in the movie they were very frosty in the one pub of the village.We came back in early 2000 which was just a few months before the dvd so we must've just missed Kermode who did  that documentary.Its quite remarkable on seeing the film just how little the village has changed though you never really see anything apart from the high street,pub and church.We were living in a characterless newly tagged on housing estate built some time after the film.

« : May 16, 2007, 09:25:00 AM Banjo »
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #140 : May 16, 2007, 01:22:03 PM »

Thanks for these insights!!  First hand stories are the best by far.

I love the internet. Earth becomes so small. When I wanted to film the WILD BUNCH hacienda nobody knew its whereabouts. That desert is bigger than the UK. So I asked in a Mexican forum whether anybody knew that place. Nobody did (it was deserted in 1913 after an earthquake dried out the wells) but a 70-year old guy said: 'I live in that area, i'll search for it..' So he drove for two days with a jeep and found it (there are no roads!).He invited me, I flew to Mexico and we went there filming (3 years before the Dog(sic) Brothers for the PECKINPAH WESTERN BOX documentary).
Without the web that never would have happened.

Kermode filmed early in 2003 there. The DVD came out in November 2002, I was in London then celebrating it since I worked on it a bit too...

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #141 : May 16, 2007, 03:31:13 PM »

Kermode filmed early in 2003 there. The DVD came out in November 2002, I was in London then celebrating it since I worked on it a bit too...
As soon as myself and Mrs Banjo got back to Sussex and got a computer we made a big point of trying to get hold of Straw Dogs and was totally amazed when Mrs Banjo spotted the uncut vhs edition in a record shop.

We never heard anything about the taboo within St.Buryan,only outside of it so it did become the Holy Grail for us.

There was a definate clique (we got the same sort of looks that Sgt Howie got from the Summerisle residents in Wicker Man)in the general store,the post office and pub and its not too hard to understand why there was such a big (unspoken) local hang-up about the movie.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #142 : May 17, 2007, 12:29:49 AM »

Somehow NOW I really want to go there :)

That tape, yeah. Good one.
In 1992 I was at Westminster film fair buying paper as usual and asked a video guy: 'How about STRAW DOGS'.. And he told me the story of it being banned adter 1984 and that there is an uncut tape from 83 or 84 which is about 50-70 quit. People next to him nodded.. I was sad having seen the film never in English.
Five tables next to him was a guy with Disney & Carry-On videos. AND STRAW DOGS. Presumly uncut since there was no rating. 5 pounds. 'Bought it and showed it too the other dealer. 'Blooody Germans... and lucky too..(he was fun).

In Germany the film had the same history: Uncut in the theatres, banned from HomeVideo in 1983. And we had to fight t0o to get it off that ban last year. I think it's gonna be better than the Freemantle. Although it is a milestone DVD, too many mistakes were made, like the master of the film, which is not sharp enough. It should have been a 2-Disc like we're doing right now. Yet it was soo cool to stand in HMV and see STRAW DOGS making the TOP 3 list next to LORD OF THE RINGS and HARRY POTTER !

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #143 : May 17, 2007, 01:44:24 AM »

Somehow NOW I really want to go there :)
Go for it,the surrounding countryside(and the many coves onthe coastline) in that Penwith peninsular is absolutelty
breathtaking.A great place to spend for a holiday(btw the Cornish like to refer to  holiday makers as "Ents" because they scurry around Penzance and St.Ives like ants!!!) but unfortunately no work available.

Try not to fall down an old tin mine. ;D

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #144 : May 17, 2007, 09:44:38 AM »

As for DEADLY COMPANIONS: almost like COLOSSO for Leone-Fans, eh? nobody really seems to care for the feature debut of our heroes. Very interesting that DEADLY has a fan here, after all it's really only interesting for die-hard Peckies. But if you like it, you should watch THE WESTERNER, Sam's TV-Series which belongs to the very best every done for the little screen. MUCH better than DEADLY, where Sam wasn't allowed to work on the awful script thanks to O'Hara's brother. He even recut the ending: Peckinpah wanted Keith's character to kill Cochran as it was filmed.  Fitzsimons went for the nice American good guy stuff and cut it in such a way it appears that Wills is doing the job.
SEE PICTURE of the cut scene.

But the worst is the music. Peckinpah always claimed that Bill Clothier saved the day by getting good images on that awful Pathe Film stock. Peckinpah also wanted to do add elements Leone introduced later: Sweat, and flies and sounds. After all they're carrying a body through the heat of the desert!  But Mr.Producer wouldn't go for it.
And of course P got his second chance with this when he did Alfredo Garcia. In fact, just as Major Dundee is in some ways an early run-through for The Wild Bunch, TDC is a kind of demo for BMTHOAG. The later films are better than their forerunners, but those early works are interesting too.

I can't imagine why you don't like the music for TDC. There is an awful song that Maureen O'Hara sings over the opening credits, but the score itself is a simple composition for accordion and guitar. At best not unpleasant, at worst unobtrusive, the piece does nothing to harm the film as a whole.

Yes, the ending was not as good as Sam's intention. Not the last time a producer would fiddle with P's work, eh?. Still, the difference isn't all that great: the bad guys end up dead, the hero rides off with the heroine. It was always going to be a fairly conventional ending.

Balance this against all the positives in the film: the "grabber" in the first minute, when Brian Keith walks into a bar and sees Chill Wills, strung up and balancing for dear life on a beer keg; Steve Cochran shooting at his image in a mirror (much better use of the idea than what was done later in PG&BtK); the religious meeting in the saloon (the bit with covering up the paintings is choice); the bank robbery that occurs before our heroes can rob it (and which they prevent, so as to rob it themselves later); the central problem (not unlike the one in BMTHOAG); the encounter with the braves playing Indian & Cowboys with a stolen stage coach; Keith's stealing a horse from a brave, thus initiating their duel to the death; burying the wagon; the final showdown. Then there are some great characters: Chill Wills, with his whining, bullying, and ideas about starting his own republic, is both menacing and comic. Steve Cochran's laid-back snake approach is also fascinating to watch: you keep wondering when he's going to strike (the interaction between Wills and Cochran is also a delight). And even the usually dull Brian Keith is here made interesting (granted, there's no saving Maureen O'Hara).

I don't doubt that The Westerner is worth a look, but what opportunity is there to see it? Anyway, how can it possibly compare with color and widescreen, which show off P's Arizona locations to advantage ?(nothing in the film was shot in the studio, even interiors were shot in Old Tucson) No, far from being of interest only to die-hard Peckies, I'd say TDC is essential Peckinpah...

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #145 : July 25, 2007, 08:32:31 AM »

In case anybody is interested in my book PASSION & POETRY - SAM PECKINPAH IN PICTURES: At AMAZON.DE they're practically giving away some left-over books!
I'm sure it's just for a very short time, the price is unbelievable: about 8,00 Euro. That's over 70% less! (29,90 is the regular price.). And there won't be a 2nd printing, that's for sure.
The writing is in German but it is basically a photo-book with over 1000 images, 300 in color. It is very heavy, 3 pounds, with 576 pages. The filmography is more exlizit than in any of the other books. And those who want the read about the Man or the Films surely own the great publications by Garner Simmons, David Weddle & Paul Seydor.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3896024728/qid=1092387857/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/302-6206201-6208832

On my website you can take a look inside the book:
www.eldorado-film.de

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #146 : July 25, 2007, 08:44:43 AM »

Thanks, Mike. I was reading your posts on another board and I saw you mentioned this: http://www.amazon.com/Getaway-Unused-Score-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B000E1NVB0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1512335-1543158?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1185377320&sr=1-1

Wow, I didn't know 1) that there was an unused soundtrack to The Getaway; 2) that it is available on CD; 3) that the CD comes with a bonus DVD of a 30 minute Peckinpah doc by Nick Redman. Kinda pricey, but I guess I'm gonna have to get it.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #147 : July 25, 2007, 08:47:28 AM »

Thanks, Mike. I was reading your posts on another board and I saw you mentioned this: http://www.amazon.com/Getaway-Unused-Score-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B000E1NVB0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1512335-1543158?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1185377320&sr=1-1

Wow, would you look at that guy's review.   ::)  He buys something called "The Getaway: THE UNUSED SCORE" and gives it one star because it's not the original soundtrack....

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #148 : July 25, 2007, 08:49:46 AM »

;D

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #149 : July 25, 2007, 08:51:54 AM »

Yeah, that guy is about as smart as Christopher Null . . .

: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines