Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:21:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Opening Day at Leone Exhibit
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opening Day at Leone Exhibit  (Read 10483 times)
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2005, 10:28:01 AM »

Here’s another report on “Once Upon a Time in Italy” exhibition at Autry Museum in L.A.

I visited the exhibition on the opening day. I picked this day to see both Sir Christopher Frayling and Alessandro Alessandroni at the screening of “Fistful of Dollars.” (I did not know Claudia Cardinale was there for the preview.You are lucky to see her, Jordan!)

This event was held at the Wells Fargo Theater, which is right next to the museum. First, professor Frayling introduced the background of the production of “Fistful of Dollars” using lots of interesting slides that include a school photo of Leone and Morricone sitting in a group.

Then, he introduced Maestro Alessandro Alessandroni. He played a guitar as he performed his famous whistle. And Oh, was it so beautiful! The pure sound of that ever so familiar whistle never changed for forty years! I don’t know how he does it, but the melody coming out of his mouth is just a magic. He played “Titoli” from “Fistful of Dollars,” themes from “For a Few Dollars More” and “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” plus “Addio  a Cheyenne” from “Once Upon a Time in the West.” Seeing a live performance of this maestro was such an incredible experience.

Jordan has already reported about the exhibition, but I can tell you also that this exhibition is an extremely well organized encyclopedia of Sergio Leone.  For a life long Leone admirer like me, this exhibition is a HEAVEN! All Leone fans should go. This could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Where else can you see a collection like this! You can see; what influenced Leone as a child, like Sicilian puppets and American comics, props like Ramon’s Winchester and Nobody’s saddle,  wardrobes for Eastwood, Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale and James Coburn, Sketches of Carlo Simi and Franco Carretti. The exhibition is using video screens very effectively. Highlight is comparison of Once Upon a Time in the West and Hollywood westerns scene by scene.

Don’t forget to go to the gift shop after seeing the exhibition. You can get the official exhibition book, “Once Upon a Time in Italy” and other books on Italian Westerns. If you have extra cash, you can buy a replica of Eastwood poncho.

Autry Museum

Wells Fargo Theater

Maestro and Professor

Gift Shop Display     

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 12:01:17 PM »

pics dont work?

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 01:35:29 PM »

pics dont work?

Sorry about the photos folks. I have re-uploaded photos. I hope it works this time.

Wells Fargo Theater

Autry Museum

Maestro and Professor

Gift Shop Display

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 07:55:57 PM »

Hmmm, pics still don't seem to work - but a really great review - I wish I had been at that fistful screening! (I arrived late monday night that week) I agree that if you're a huge fan it's worth it - I was practically drooling the whole time!

Jordan

Sorry about the photos folks. I have re-uploaded photos. I hope it works this time.

Wells Fargo Theater

Autry Museum

Maestro and Professor

Gift Shop Display

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 12:47:12 AM »

Okay, this should work now (I cross my fingers). As an apology for your disappointment, I added one extra photo.

This is the first image you see at the entrance of the exhibit. This photo is about 7 foot high.

Autry Museum

This is where Alessandroni performed.

Maestro Alessandroni & Prof. Frayling

Gift shop display. This year, the Style is Leone.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 04:06:51 AM »

Thanks, cool pictures.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
phantomstranger
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 07:41:42 PM »

SERGIO LEONE EXHIBIT -- LOS ANGELES, CA

Hey Gang,

I just got back from the Autry Museum "Sergio Leone Exhibition: Once Upon A Time In Italy". Very impressive. A little smaller then I expected, but still fun. A great collection of Leone posters, as well as posters from American films that were influences of his. (John Ford,Anthony Mann, Howard Hawks etc) and of course the Holy Grail of "Spaghetti Western" lore: Eastwoods Poncho from the "Dollars" trilogy. Awesome! There were also costumes from Henry Fonda and Claudia Cardinale, scripts, production stills and costume sketches. Overall a great day.

BTW.. the rest of the Museum with costumes from Clayton Moore, James Arness, movie posters and props is great. There is also some beautiful artwork about the true American West. If you can make it to the show...GO!!!

Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 06:29:48 AM »

Wow, I really envy anyone who gets to see that I'm probably never going to see anything like it in my life  Undecided

Scarabaeus
Chicken Thief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 04:36:54 PM »

I just got back from the Autry Museum "Sergio Leone Exhibition: Once Upon A Time In Italy". Very impressive. [...]

I can only second that. I liked the exhibit a lot. My Wife and I took a little weekend trip and drove from San Francisco to LA via Highway 1 to see it. Even though she doesn't care too much about western, she liked the exhibit as well.

And the rest of the museum has lots of interesting stuff, too. There is one exhibit about western movies in general, a big exhibit about the wild west as such, and currently a special exhibit about the fur trade. You can learn all kinds of things, for example that the fringes on the trapper leader suits actually made the leather dry faster.

Go and see it!

Cat Stevens
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 02:38:11 PM »

I went to this back in August and had a great time (though I had a hard time finding the Gene Autry museum at first).  I was on a time constraint, so was only able to hang around for an hour or so.  I picked one of the small posters 11x17 and am finally getting around to finding a frame for it.  All in all, an impressive display.

You dirty son of a
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 07:20:16 PM »

Official site:
http://www.museumoftheamericanwest.org/explore/exhibits/leone/

You dirty son of a
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 07:39:06 PM »

Hi, I am in San Fransisco in January and was wondering if anyone could tell me how long a train or bus would take from SF to the Autry National Centre?

Is it easy?

You dirty son of a
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 07:42:35 PM »

Francisco, that is.  Embarrassed

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 09:41:28 PM »

Hi, I am in San Fransisco in January and was wondering if anyone could tell me how long a train or bus would take from SF to the Autry National Centre?

Is it easy?

For a train, you should check with Cal Train. If you take a Grey Hound Bus, it might take 6 to 7 hours.

The best way is to fly from SFO or Oakland Airport to Barbank Airport which is the closest to the museum. It takes a little over one hour.

You dirty son of a
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 03:35:16 PM »

Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM