Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:56:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Opening Day at Leone Exhibit
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opening Day at Leone Exhibit  (Read 10462 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 04:00:05 AM »

I read this article today about Leone, written shortly before the Autry exhibit. (I'm 8 years late, but hey, I wasn't a Leone fan yet back in 2005, unfortunately, so I'm going back and reading some of this stuff now)

http://sergioleoneifr.blogspot.com/2005/06/gene-autrys-summer-of-sergio-leone.html

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:30:16 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 03:39:05 AM »

I attended the Leone exhibit at the Autry Western Museum, was great. 

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 05:39:28 AM »

Here are articles on the exhibit from:
the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/30/movies/MoviesFeatures/30leon.html?_r=0
the Los Angeles Times http://articles.latimes.com/2005/aug/07/entertainment/ca-leone7
not sure where this is from http://www.thefreelibrary.com/LESS+TALK+MORE+STYLE+SERGIO+LEONE%27S+SPAGHETTI+LEGACY+CELEBRATED+AT...-a0135733535

Frayling's companion book to the exhibit "Once Upon a Time in Italy: The Westerns of Sergio Leone" has lots of photographs of the sets of the movies, as well reproductions of posters, lobby cards, fotobustas, etc. But unfortunately, the book hardly has any other artifacts, besides some of Simi's drawings of some of the sets and costumes.

Are there any photos out there of the other stuff at the exhibit? it would be really nice to see the firearms, the costumes, and all the other awesome stuff they showed there....

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:58:03 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »

Photography was not allowed there.  I do have the book "Once Upon a Time in Italy", good.  It's up on the mantle with a piece of "the arch", my GBU coffee mug, some stuff like that.

Eastwood has the original outfit, hat, vest, boots, etc., and pistols with the snake handles, he lent them to the exhibit.  Fonda's suit from Once-West was on his mannequin.  You could see the fade of the poncho, why sometimes it looked brown, sometimes green.  The bulletholes from "Fistful" were sewn shut, and in earlier parts of "Fistful" and in the two later films there are scenes where the bullethole repair shows.  Similar with the hat shot in FDM.There were large original posters from around the world, and headphone exhibits to describe the music.  There was a continuous screening of the first 20-like minutes from Once-West.  I remember hearing that at USC Film School it was taught that the last 20 minutes of GBU and first 20 minutes of Once-West were the ultimate in film-making.

This was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  And was even free on Tuesdays !!!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:06:31 PM by Cusser » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 04:49:25 AM »

Photography was not allowed there.  I do have the book "Once Upon a Time in Italy", good.  It's up on the mantle with a piece of "the arch", my GBU coffee mug, some stuff like that.

Eastwood has the original outfit, hat, vest, boots, etc., and pistols with the snake handles, he lent them to the exhibit.  Fonda's suit from Once-West was on his mannequin.  You could see the fade of the poncho, why sometimes it looked brown, sometimes green.  The bulletholes from "Fistful" were sewn shut, and in earlier parts of "Fistful" and in the two later films there are scenes where the bullethole repair shows.  Similar with the hat shot in FDM.There were large original posters from around the world, and headphone exhibits to describe the music.  There was a continuous screening of the first 20-like minutes from Once-West.  I remember hearing that at USC Film School it was taught that the last 20 minutes of GBU and first 20 minutes of Once-West were the ultimate in film-making.

This was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  And was even free on Tuesdays !!!

Rub it in rub it in  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 05:40:19 AM »

yeah I read about the exhibits on these boards and in those newspaper articles i linked to in my previous post. And I figured that visitors would not be allowed to take photographs. But I am just wondering if the museum itself ever published any photos of the exhibit? I mean, there's no doubt that the museum itself took lots of photos of the exhibits. The question is, did they ever post them anywhere? Now that it's 8 years after the exhibit and who knows if this exhibit will ever be shown again, I don't think the museum would have anything to lose by releasing the photos. Maybe we should just call them and ask them - tell 'em there's a big interest by Leone fans in seeing the photos of the exhibit, maybe I'll ask them if they would email them or something. As my father always says, "The worst they can tell you is 'No.' "

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »

Here are articles on the exhibit from...

Cinema Retro issue 3 from 2005 (the Peckinpah special) also had an article

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »

Cinema Retro issue 3 from 2005 (the Peckinpah special) also had an article

any photos of the exhibit there?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 05:23:40 PM »

4 page article with a few photos and also some of visiting celebs (Frayling, Cardinale, Alessandroni etc) - all full color as you'd expect from Cinema Retro. No photo of the famous poncho as they said you should really visit the exhibit to see it.

It seems Cinema Retro issue 2 had an article previewing the exhibition, although I don't have a copy of that one.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM