Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 06:36:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Fat Moe
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fat Moe  (Read 11493 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2003, 03:49:16 PM »

Fat Moe, Larry Rapp, was he ever in any other movies? Anyone know?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Noodles
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 11:39:31 PM »

According to the IMDb, this is the only movie he has been in.  Other than that I don't know.

rusty26
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 06:37:23 AM »

I asked the same question on the IMDB message board for OUATIA.  You can look up the answer I got  there.  It seems that Rapp was not a trained actor and this is his only role.  

poppyseed
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 06:44:03 AM »

fat moe is a great character, the only real constant and consistent guy in the film! but what puzzles me is his attitude to Noodles. Watch when Noodles returns to Fat moe's after 30 odd years away. Moe is delighted to see him, tries to hug him and warmly welcome him. Noodles blanks that and just passes him the key back.

Why does moe want to welcome the man who raped his sister? If i had a sister and a man raped her, I wouldn't be so keen to be his friend.

Very weird. Any thoughts on that?

Also, anyone else think Moe might fancy Noodles?

Half-Soldier
Chicken Thief

"Adios, half-soldier"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 10:00:28 AM »

fat moe is a great character, the only real constant and consistent guy in the film! but what puzzles me is his attitude to Noodles. Watch when Noodles returns to Fat moe's after 30 odd years away. Moe is delighted to see him, tries to hug him and warmly welcome him. Noodles blanks that and just passes him the key back.

Why does moe want to welcome the man who raped his sister? If i had a sister and a man raped her, I wouldn't be so keen to be his friend.

Also, anyone else think Moe might fancy Noodles?

Moe always wanted Noodles and his sister to get together, but it wasn't to be and he probably knows about the rape. After 30 years he's obviously willing to forgive and forget and his old feelings for Noodles are still there. Noodles too, quickly trusts Moe again, once he realizes it wasn't him who took the money. These two could be friends again, but one suspect that Noodles will return to anonymity (whether it's smoking opium or just going to bed early...)

"People with ropes around their necks don't always hang!"
guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 07:31:24 AM »

I don't know what makes you think Moe is informed about his sister's rape. I really can't imagine Deborah telling anybody about that. Besides the day after the rape she took the train to Hollywood, while Noodles and Moe kept on being friends until Noodles had to run away from NY. She might have told Moe about it after that, but it sounds quite unlikely to me.

As for Noodles keeping the distance from Moe, I think that's very Noodles... remember he doesn't know yet who made him come back and why, he might as well have been a little suspicious about anybody, Moe included.

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“What have you done all this time?”
“Going to bed early.”
ChochHolla
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 09:50:39 AM »

She might have told Moe about it after that, but it sounds quite unlikely to me.

Hm... I want to agree with you on that one, but my reluctance relies on the scene after the rape/train departure. There was definitely some tension between all the characters, even Moe. Look closely, Moe definitely had something churning in his head when Noodles sat down.
Leone had Moe so deliberately playing with scissors directly behind Noodles; I was sure that it was going to be an attempted hit.
I really feel that Moe knew, especially seeing that Deborah and Moe were so close. (I think I remember a line from Deborah when Noodles came home: 'It's always Moe.')

"i've seen better."
"you've seen lots."
cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 09:57:34 AM »

yes but I think Moe Likes much more Noodles than his sister, He always wanted to them together, so I don't think he really wants to hurt noodles after the rappe...
remember: I would have bet anything on you (when Noodles comes back in 68'

McWatt
Road Apple

Who are yeh?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2003, 09:02:44 PM »

(Poor man, everyone in the film disses him, even those who won't leave straight away when he asks!)

Anyway, watching the film again last night (on DVD for the first time) - I noticed that when the young gang first meet at the locker, they agree to give the key to Moe... and not tell him what it is for.

At the start of the film when Noodles gets the key, Moe notes that "it is all yours now."

What is the enterpretation of that?  Moe found out?  Someone told him?  The group told him?  Noodles forgot that detail in his dream state ( Wink)?  Sloppy editing?

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 04:37:26 AM »

I would say that Moe probably knew about the money all along,he always did seem to know more than he let on.Another possible reason could be that as we know Leone cut something like 45 mins from the film to reduce the length and maybe a scene was shot that explained it[although not to my knowledge].

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 08:18:39 PM »

At first no but I think Moe eventually became part of the gang, remember Fat Moe's was his speakeasy so he became a partner, so he would not only know but be a part of it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2003, 08:54:48 AM »

Thanks to Mc Watt for this quote: Fat Moe is the character whose nobody speaks about.
But Fat Moe , his sister, his restaurant, his cake, his toilet ,his clock ... takes a big place in OUATIA.

Your question is interesting, I think that young Moe is too different to be a real partner for Noodles street gang.He has a job, he is the future boss of a big restaurant, his sister learn dance and diction, he goes  to Synagogue, he is clean.

But  he join the gang to say goodby Noodles in front of the jail. And Max 15 years later says"  Noodles, the Funeral Company belongs to us 5 .." and not 4 . Moe becomes a partner for that and also for the rest: speakeasy, murder, robbery even he doesn't participate ... but he makes coffee.  

I think also that Moe replaces Frederik , the youngest kid killed by Bugsy, in the heart of our 4 muskeeters.

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Sid the Pig
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 04:31:39 PM »

I wonder what you guy's feelings are about when Noodles says to Moe "I bought back the key to your clock".
Why would or did he take the key anyway, and why keep it for all those years?

People scare better when they're dyin'.
Sid the Pig
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 05:54:54 PM »

The first obvious thing that hit me about Fat Moe and Noodles was when he called on Moe for the first time in years.
There was no hug, after all those years he refused the guy a hug.
You can see Moe go for the hug but gets balked by Noodles, but the reason for his coldness is never really explained.
Why do you think?

People scare better when they're dyin'.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 05:07:29 AM »

Noodles thinks Moe took the money at first, but then he says something like "I can see your on your ass worse than ever".

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM