Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 09:58:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Partner. (1968)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Partner. (1968)  (Read 2473 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2005, 02:28:47 PM »

http://www.noshamefilms.com/catalogue/dvd_01.asp?pdno=22

Bertolucci claims he doesn't care about or want to release his early stuff, but La Commare Secca and Prima Della Rivoluzione have gotten special edition DVD treatments, now Partner is coming out, and of course 1900 came out earlier this year. I hope Stratagem and Conformist are next Cool

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:09:57 PM »

Poggle, I saw in the news that Bernardo Bertolucci is being honored at the Venice Film Festival with an honorary Golden Lion award in September.  Articles Iíve seen indicate they would be showing a restored version of The Spiderís Stratagem along with one of his documentaries from the 60's.  Hopefully that would be an indicator of a forthcoming DVD release on The Spider's Stratagem. Itís been reported by quite a few news outlets so maybe youíve seen it already.  If not....

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117967120.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&query=bernardo+bertolucci

I think sometime soon Criterion will be announcing a release for The Last Emperor.  Iíve only seen Region 2 Pal versions of Prima Della Rivoluzione.  I Hope that gets remastered and released on DVD with extra material for all regions.  That would then leave Luna and Tragedy Of A Ridiculous Man.

To my disappointment, I also found out thereís been a change in his next upcoming project.   After he had completed The Dreamers, it was reported that he would be doing a film adaptation of Ann Patchettís Bel Canto.  I was quite excited about that because I enjoyed the novel.   I thought that some of the themes in the novel would be ones that Bertolucci would handle really well in film.  I recently saw that he dropped the project returning to an older idea of a film about the 16th century Italian composer Gesualdo. That was a project he was talking about when filming Stealing Beauty and Besieged.  Back in the late seventies, early eighties he was supposed to do an adaptation of Hammettís Red Harvest and it fell apart like this.  I hope he follows up on Bel Canto after the Gesualdo film.  Hereís little bit of information on that:  

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117965913.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&query=Bel+Canto

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:26:52 PM »

never discussed much here but I bet Bertolucci could make a great Western.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:28:06 PM »

CJ, I think he would satisfy two of your requirements for a good western film.  Visually it would be gorgeous.  Particularly if he were to reunite with Vittorio Storaro.  No doubt it would be a very beautiful film.  I think you would definitely get all your gorgeous landscape scenes beautfiully photographed and framed.  I think Darius Khondji (who did the cinematography in Tuscany for him on Stealing Beauty) would do a very good job as well.  The other thing is that I think he would satisfy your preference for a less dialogue driven western.  The thing I'm not certain about would be how he might handle action scenes, shoot outs and so forth.  If you look over his work, there really isn't too much of that.   Maybe the murders in The Conformist.  The scene of Anna Quadri running through the forest to escape from the assassins might be the best tell on how he might handle western action and violence.  That scene has been copied by a few.  After that would be bits in 1900 and The Last Emperor.  Had he made Red Harvest, there would of been something more significant to compare and reference.  I suppose it's a possibility that his western would not be an action driven gunfight western at all.  

I think also his western might be enjoyable for another reason.  Like OUATITW, I think his film would be packed with a lot of references to classic westerns.  He loved John Wayne when he was a kid.  I think I saw on the BFI site that he still cites Stagecoach as one of his favorites.   I guess the decline in the popularity of westerns, and maybe his small contribution to OUATITW were reasons why he didn't take a crack at it.    

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:40:09 PM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 05:34:35 AM »

CJ, I think he would satisfy two of your requirements for a good western film.  Visually it would be gorgeous.  Particularly if he were to reunite with Vittorio Storaro.  No doubt it would be a very beautiful film.  I think you would definitely get all your gorgeous landscape scenes beautfiully photographed and framed.

I think also his western might be enjoyable for another reason.  Like OUATITW, I think his film would be packed with a lot of references to classic westerns.  He loved John Wayne when he was a kid.  I think I saw on the BFI site that he still cites Stagecoach as one of his favorites. 

Thats what I was thinking.  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM