Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:56:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Wild North (1952)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wild North (1952)  (Read 1446 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0045329/

THE WILD NORTH (1952) 7/10

Typical Western story, a cop bringing in a fugitive, dragging him across the wilderness. What makes this movie different is that there is hardly a grain of sand or a horse: this chase takes place in the Canadian wilderness, all snow and ice; the cop is a Mountie, and his mode of transportation is a sled pulled by 9 beautiful Huskies; and the threatening animals are not coyotes but wolves.

Stewart Granger is the French Canadian trapper fugitive (with a slightly less exaggerated accent than Laurence Olivier's French Canadian trapper in 49th PARALLEL); Wendell Corey is the Mountie; and Cyd Charisse, with a bucket of mud on her face and two long braids, is an Indian girl, the typical Western dame whose job is to look pretty and not much else.

I saw the movie on TCM; it would be nice if someone did a restoration; as nice as this is to look at, the colors are very badly screwed up.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:03:15 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »

I wish I recorded this. Even though this looks promising on its own, I'll basically watch any genre movie with Cyd Charisse.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 06:32:17 PM »

I wish I recorded this. Even though this looks promising on its own, I'll basically watch any genre movie with Cyd Charisse.

Maybe you can rent dvd from Netflix. Or buy on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/The-Wild-North-Stewart-Granger/dp/B003YJ8JMK

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 07:32:56 PM »

But you might want to rent the dvd or stream the movie before buying the dvd. Charisse is not onscreen all that long, and the colors on the TCM version were very screwed up. I do not know how the dvd looks.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 10:42:16 PM »

A few minutes of Cyd Charisse https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jXhscyX3wys

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »

Thanks. I'll find a way to watch this one at some point.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:25:42 PM »

I bought the DVD (on Amazon from Warner Archive). Just came in the mail, and I put it in for a few minutes, skipping around just to check out the image quality.

I think it is better than the image quality on TCM. Far from great, plenty of damage marks, but I think it is better than the quality of TCM's print.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:19:20 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 04:44:48 AM »

What time period is it supposed to take place in? I've might have seen this a long time ago.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 08:19:58 AM »

What time period is it supposed to take place in? I've might have seen this a long time ago.

I am not certain, don't remember if a date was mentioned.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 02:03:41 PM »

Thanks

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM