Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:15:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dodge City (1939)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dodge City (1939)  (Read 2255 times)
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2005, 04:52:45 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031235/

Just watched FLYNN in a humdinger old school western called DODGE CITY! Great fun. It has one of the most amazing off the wall bar-room fights I've ever seen! A sense of zaniness that CORBUCCI could only dream of (and I like Corbucci). Dodge City is great craic (as we Irish say!) Wink

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:12:14 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 06:03:10 AM »

Sounds good Belkin... I've only seen him in Adventures of Robin Hood, but I like him a lot, and want to see more of his films. He also has to have one of the most bizarre life stories in all of cinema. According to the IMDb mini-bio:

In his late teens he set out to find gold, but instead found a series of short lived odd jobs. Information is sketchy, but the positions of police constable, sanitation engineer, treasure hunter, sheep castrator, shipmaster for hire, fisherman, and soldier seem to be among his more reputable career choices.

And that's before he became an actor!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:12:26 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

It's class.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:25:31 PM »

This has got, as many critics in the special features of the dvd point out, all the clichés of the genre. But it is better than most westerns because it is highly spectacular. They put money into it and it shows. CJ cannot miss the beautiful locomotive starring in some scenes. But they didn't save money for the saloon (which rivals that of Duel in the Sun), the streets of the town, where you see lots of people, the beautiful photography and a good rhythm, not much hindered by the love story between Flynn and ODH. Cabot makes a very good villain, but the best ones are Victor Jory and Guinn Williams. 8\10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 05:11:57 PM »

This played recently on TCM, saw it for the first time.

this movie has some of the most beautiful Technicolor cinematography of any western, ever. Stunning. And not a scratch on the print. Absolutely gorgeous.

The movie itself is decent, has some of the silliness you sometimes see in a Western, the cutesy romantic stuff and crappy bad guy and silly drunks, which take any real menace out of the movie. Better than your typical run-of-the mill Western, this has a good leading cast with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. Ann Sheridan is third-billed, she plays a dance-hall girl who does virtually nothing except sing in small dresses. I think at one point she says one line to a bad guy who is her boyfriend. But her role is almost literally to sing onstage in small dresses.

Aside for the conematography, this movie is most interesting for some of the references it has in later  Westerns.

The editor of the local newspaper, the Dodge City Star, prints the truth about the gangsters in town, so the gangster comes and whips him in the face. (He still doesn't learn his lesson, so a gangster later comes, late one night, and shoots him.) Certainly seems an inspiration for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Later in the movie, one of the bad guys is walking across the top of a train, but his shadow is seen in the desert sand - a scene later referenced with Harmonica walking on top of the train and Frank seeing his shadow in OUATITW.

Also, as Frayling has pointed out, an early scene involves a train racing a stagecoach, and someone says, "Gentlemen, that's a symbol of America's progress: iron men and iron horses" - perhaps a reference to early in OUATITW,  when Sam is driving Jill in his buggy, driving through the rail gang.

There is a scene with a guy getting a shave in a barbershop and hiding a gun under the cape – perhaps the opening scene in My Name Is Nobody is a reference to that.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:38:49 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »

There is a scene with a guy getting a shave in a barbershop and hiding a gun under the cape – perhaps the opening scene in My Name Is Nobody is a reference to that.

Could be, though Western Union has a similar scene IIRC.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM