Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 01:27:52 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  L.A. Times article on Leone exhibit (great pics!!)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: L.A. Times article on Leone exhibit (great pics!!)  ( 4577 )
Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

« : August 10, 2005, 04:56:00 AM »

I didn't see this posted anywhere else on the board, so here goes.

This is a link to a terrific article in the Los Angeles Times about the Leone exhibit. It has a coupla great photos, including one that shows the re-created rail platform from ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, with a film clip from COLOSSUS OF RHODES playing on the far wall in the rear of the area.

Check it out:

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/turan/cl-ca-leone7aug07,0,195499.story#Scene_1

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : August 10, 2005, 04:21:53 PM »

thanks for the link

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #2 : August 11, 2005, 10:29:17 AM »

This is a great article. Since taking photos inside the exhibit is not allowed for general visitors, these two photos are very valuable for us.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #3 : August 11, 2005, 12:13:11 PM »

the place looks amazing from those two pictures... but i'm curious what the collosus of rhodes is doing up on the screen at the 'westerns of sergio leone'... really wish i could see this exhibit in person.... I also loved the little story, which i hadn't heard before, about christopher fraylings first encounter with a leone film.

« : August 11, 2005, 12:16:28 PM grandpa_chum »

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #4 : August 11, 2005, 04:42:16 PM »

I just returned today from a trip to Los Angeles where I did see the Leone exhibit.  The exhibit was great.  It's free Thursdays 4pm to 8pm, and on the second Tuesday of the month (that's when I blindly wandered in).  The clips of the Colossus of Rhodes was with a clip from Ben-Hur to show Leone's earlier work.  Other screens included gunfight from Fistful, and GBU gunfight.  Poncho (with bullet holes from Fistful sewn up) and snake-handled revolver were there (Clint had them all this time), also Fonda's suit and Jill's black dress from Once/West, and Nobody's saddle.  Another screen showed entire beginning of Once/West (all the way until the McBains are shown), while another showed similar scenes from Once/West and American westerns, showing how Leone drew from them.  Another screen showed interviews with Clint, John Landis, John Carpenter, and one other.  There were huge movie posters of the Leone films, mostly in Italian, and original lobby cards as well.  One room had headphones where people were listening to Morricone scores form the various films.  There was a harmonica used by the guy who did it for the film, and said he taught Bronson how to hold it for the film.  There was a rifle as well.  One TV showed an episode of Rawhide from which Leone decided upon Eastwood.  There was the sound clap-board on loan from Donald Bruce. There were scriptbooks in Italian from the three Eastwood westerns: Blondie was referred to as Joe, Angel Eyes as Banjo.  The gift shop was pricey as expected, with full retail DVDs and they were out of Morricone soundtracks already (but I already have the European ones which may be out of print by now).  There was a GBU clock to match the GBU mug I already have, the Frayling books (new one for $40, mine was considerably less online).  I did pick up a Death Rides a Horse DVD for $9, and my wife bought me some stuff for Christmas.  If you get a chance, go to this, I don't think it's traveling anywhere else.  I also saw the King Tut exhibit, and Leone was way better.  I've seen the rest of the Autry museum in the past, and it's good too, even has weopons like Mortimer used, with detachable barrel.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #5 : August 11, 2005, 10:03:04 PM »

And I didn't see any pocket watches at the Leone exhibit or gift shop, too bad...

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines