Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 11:38:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Lo ammazzo come un cane... ma lui rideva ancora aka Death Played the Flute(1972)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lo ammazzo come un cane... ma lui rideva ancora aka Death Played the Flute(1972)  (Read 5378 times)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2005, 02:47:06 PM »

This weeks write up commences .........

DEATH PLAYED THE FLUTE
This is an extremely entertaining film from a director (Angelo Pannaccio) and cast that I know very little about.

Burton (Michael Forest) returns to his ranch to find his family have been raped and murdered by a gang of cattle rustlers, with his daughter Susie the only survivor. Vowing revenge, Burton soon encounters a lone gunslinger, known as Whistler on account of his flute playing, who indicates that he saw the faces of the culprits. Burton does not realise that Whistler was part of the gang that night, and agrees to pay him to help him track down the murderers. The gunslinger has his own agenda, and agrees to Burton's proposal.

The two start to track down the gang, but Burton soon becomes suspicious once Whistler starts to kill the gang members before they can talk.

This is a very dark film throughout, with the grim scene set right from the outset as the gang graphically attack the family ranch. The movie's black theme is suitably set by its compelling guitar driven soundtrack, with its quirks owing as much to the horror film industry as it does to the Italian western.

At times the editing leaves much to be desired, but lets face it that can be quite an expected (and somehow appealing) trademark of the spaghetti western genre. It certainly doesn't detract from the feel and mood of the film.

The character of the flute playing Whistler is a very interesting one. Despite his prowess with the gun (and of course the flute!) he always seems to demonstrate a level of vulnerability. And on the English soundtrack rarely speaks without a nervous laugh.

In summary, this film is gripping throughout, with its dark and bitter mood continuing until its great climax. It is not a movie that I had previously heard of, and in such cases I am usually dubious as to the likely quality. However, this turned out to be a really pleasant surprise, with a compelling yet grim and downbeat feel. For those searching for a hidden gem, I would definitely recommend it as a film to try and unearth.

Note - If you have seen it, feel free to rate it via the poll on http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns/reviews/deathplayedtheflute.html

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:09:43 AM by Banjo » Logged

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 05:51:36 PM »

plot-wise it sounds alot like death rides a horse... sounds like a good one though.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
KERMIT
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 10:27:31 PM »

marco, thanks. this sounds exceptionaly better than most, meaning :

1. everything's fine  Smiley
2. somebody gets killed   Shocked
3. it's vendetta time   Angry
4. the big payback   Cool
5. the big nod   Lips Sealed

they all can't be gems. marco, your description renews my faith to keep looking. i'll try to locate it and check it out. this one sounds different. thanks amigo. best/kerm

« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 11:49:47 PM by Kermit » Logged
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 01:06:16 PM »

plot-wise it sounds alot like death rides a horse... sounds like a good one though.

True, the basic idea is similar to Death Rides a Horse, but its alot darker, plus the two characters do not bond in anyway - there is always a distrust between them.

they all can't be gems. marco, your description renews my faith to keep looking. i'll try to locate it and check it out. this one sounds different. thanks amigo. best/kerm

True, there are some real gems.  This one in particular seems quite rare, and I don't understand why it never received the attention it deserved.  But I shall keep searching ebay for these lil treasures!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 05:49:25 PM »

Review for :DEATH PLAYED THE FLUTE

A decent western with a pretty nasty mean streak.

Our hero Barton comes back home to find that his daughter has been raped and his wife murdered. He sets out to seek for the baddies that did his family wrong...only...there is one problem...he doesnt know what they look like.
He finds a shady flute playing gunslinger named Whistler who agrees to accompany Barton after claiming that he knows who the baddies are. What Barton doesnt know is that Whistler was involved in the rape/murder (not giving anything away people, this is established in the very beginning) but now feels remorse for his victims.

I must say that Barton is the most useless spaghetti hero I have ever laid eyes on. The guy never once kills a member of the gang that raided his home. In fact he only kills two ruffians in a completly unrelated segment to the plot. The one who ends up avenging his wife's murder is Whistler. He kills all the members of the gang one by one and that sorta sets him up as the hero (even though he is a semi-baddie).
Barton never even finds out that Whistler was apart of the raiders...
The most unlikly of characters kills Whistler at the end ( I wont say who though).

The action scenes are sometimes bland but always entertaining.
The scene that brings this down is a love segment which features an embarassing number titled "a man is made of love". Doesn't that title make you want to puke?

Whistler is a cool "Hero". He wears a neat leather duster and plays a flute which can shoot darts (This gimick is used in one scene only).
Unfortunatly he has the worst hair-do I have ever seen...even worse then Tony Anthony.
I sometimes mistook him for an Elvis impersonator.
And he has quite an annoying laugh , more of a nervous chuckle really.

overall a decent straightforward spaghetti that doesnt try to be something special.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:12:45 AM by Banjo » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 09:02:19 PM »

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/come_cane.htm

I do not share the enthusiasm for this. I find it a quite boring, badly directed movie. But that it is not what matters: which is the fact that my version has a running time of 73' and odds. Where are the other 12 minutes? They have been cut up because the were of the xxx kind, that is clear both watching the cut scenes of sex and listening to some vulgar expression unusual in movies of any kind, both at the time and later.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:15:49 AM by Banjo » Logged

SilenceSWDB
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:10:08 AM »

Like this one.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM