Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:09:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Fan encounter
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fan encounter  (Read 5568 times)
Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2005, 07:02:34 PM »

I remembered this the other day and thought I'd post it up. I live in Melbourne, Australia, and there are not too many Leone fans around, but I did have a somewhat odd chance encounter with one about five years ago.

I had to go into the city (or, downtown if you prefer) one day and, being early, decided to grab a coffee. I went into the nearest cafe and right away heard the unmistakeable soundtrack to OUATIA playing on the cafe stereo. I ordered a coffee and read the paper, listening to the soundtrack, figuring the owner must be a fan.

There were only two other girls in the cafe, and they went up to pay, had a brief chat to the guy behind the counter, then left. I went up to pay as well and I heard the guy talking to someone else in the kitchen. He said, in a somewhat disdainful tone, 'those girls asked me what the music was and I said I didn't know'.

Right away, I said, 'I can tell you what it is, it's the soundtrack to Once Upon a Time in America'. He looked at me, surprised. 'You know it?' 'It's one of my favorite films' I replied, 'I've seen it at least 20 times'. He said it was his favorite film too, that he owned it on vhs (this was pre-dvd days) and he played the soundtrack all the time in his cafe, but never liked telling people what it was because 'if they don't know, they don't deserve to know' (this was clearly a hard-core fan here).

I felt like we were in the Freemasons or something, identifying ourselves with secret insider knowledge. We chatted about other Leone films for a few minutes, then he refused to let me pay for my coffee! So there you go, a chance encounter with a fellow fan and a free cup of coffee into the bargain!

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 10:28:05 PM »

All of those times at Dunkin Donuts saying "Salama laken" and I never got a free iced latte Sad

I know quite a few film buffs and not even they know a lot about Sergio except one. But it's always fun watching Sergio movies with those who know nothing about him, especially the OUAT's. It's almost like being resensitized to the movie and seeing it for the first time when you watch it with a first-timer.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 04:26:59 PM »

I remembered this the other day and thought I'd post it up. I live in Melbourne, Australia, and there are not too many Leone fans around, but I did have a somewhat odd chance encounter with one about five years ago.

I had to go into the city (or, downtown if you prefer) one day and, being early, decided to grab a coffee. I went into the nearest cafe and right away heard the unmistakeable soundtrack to OUATIA playing on the cafe stereo. I ordered a coffee and read the paper, listening to the soundtrack, figuring the owner must be a fan.

There were only two other girls in the cafe, and they went up to pay, had a brief chat to the guy behind the counter, then left. I went up to pay as well and I heard the guy talking to someone else in the kitchen. He said, in a somewhat disdainful tone, 'those girls asked me what the music was and I said I didn't know'.

Right away, I said, 'I can tell you what it is, it's the soundtrack to Once Upon a Time in America'. He looked at me, surprised. 'You know it?' 'It's one of my favorite films' I replied, 'I've seen it at least 20 times'. He said it was his favorite film too, that he owned it on vhs (this was pre-dvd days) and he played the soundtrack all the time in his cafe, but never liked telling people what it was because 'if they don't know, they don't deserve to know' (this was clearly a hard-core fan here).

I felt like we were in the Freemasons or something, identifying ourselves with secret insider knowledge. We chatted about other Leone films for a few minutes, then he refused to let me pay for my coffee! So there you go, a chance encounter with a fellow fan and a free cup of coffee into the bargain!

I guess I can relate, LOL.  The other day I was listening to the soundtrack for this film at school and a couple of people went up to me and asked "What kind of music do you listen to?"  I feel, if I tell them, they'll think I'm a dork; if I don't, I'll seem like a jerk.  Great choice, huh?

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 05:11:36 PM »

Many of my friends think I'm wierd because I like old cinema and westerns. I laugh sooooo hard every time I ask them if they've ever seen any old movies and they respond with somethink like " yeh I just saw Titanic the other day. " Our generation has this fear of watching old movies but if you sit them down and show them a Leone picture they end up loving it. I too agree that watching a Leone picture with a first-timer makes you feel like you're watching it for the first time too.

Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 10:02:36 PM »

It's scary - I was talking to a film producer recently, younger guy, trying to get a horror movie made, and his cinematic memory stretches all the way back to Blade, with Wesley Snipes! That's his idea of an older, 'classic' movie, for the love of God!

roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 09:14:38 AM »

Hi chaps. Once upon a time in america is clearly my favourite as well and I recently bought the soundtrack to give it to the owner of my favourite bookshop who's playing it sometimes. So if you come down to Southampton (uk) one of these days, have a coffee at Peter Rhodes bookshop. You'll have the opportunity to listen to the soundtrack of once upon a time in the west as well. See you there may be.I'll ask the owner to report somewhere how many people  are asking to know which music it is.

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 05:52:20 AM »

It's scary - I was talking to a film producer recently, younger guy, trying to get a horror movie made, and his cinematic memory stretches all the way back to Blade, with Wesley Snipes! That's his idea of an older, 'classic' movie, for the love of God!

Tell me you are kiddin', please...

By the way - listen to Morricones Arena Concerto and the beautiful version of OUATIA performed live... it's just so goddamn beautiful - like Duck you Sucker on the same disc - these two are clearly the most beautiful themes from the concerts a couple of years ago...

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 06:30:10 PM »

Which disc?  And what song are we referring to?  Was it the "Main Theme", "Deborah's Theme", a suite, what? 

Saturday nights with Groggy
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 02:22:07 AM »

The music from the film "Arena Concerto" (some of it) on this CD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000W3O3I/qid%3D1135239105/203-7017569-9813518

And yes, it is a suite - but performed with such intensity and "live"-feel - the sound quality is sublime - lacks some of the soprano parts though...

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 05:26:06 PM »

I posed the question once and got no answer, so I do it again. How many copies were sold of Leone's movies, on vhs and dvd? If they are (as I think they are) in the millions, then I wonder where are all the people who bought them.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 07:23:32 AM »

I know a director just like that and he is much older then me...

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 04:47:42 PM »

I posed the question once and got no answer, so I do it again. How many copies were sold of Leone's movies, on vhs and dvd? If they are (as I think they are) in the millions, then I wonder where are all the people who bought them.

titoli I don't know where you'd find this info, we'd probably have to go to who ever owned the rights back over the years in individual continents.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 07:01:08 AM »

I feel you, I live in Sydney and the only Leone fan I knew was my Religion teacher back in Year 11. He was Italian and loved the works of Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 06:19:02 AM »

Are you saying Leoneism is a religion?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM