Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 10:30:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Praying Mantis Eats Hummingbird!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Praying Mantis Eats Hummingbird!  (Read 6423 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2005, 03:38:19 PM »

This has absolutely nothing to do with Leone, but I still thought it was interesting.  I came across the article in a bird-watching magazine which showed pictures of a praying mantis catching and eating a small hummingbird! Shocked Ick.  Two pictures which aren't too bad for me, but might turn some off:

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/backyardbirds/hummingbirds/mantis-hummer.aspx?

Don't know why I thought this would be of interest; maybe I'm bored.  Grin

Anyway school starts up again in about a week . . . so I'll have much less free time then.  Cry

Saturday nights with Groggy
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 03:40:37 PM »

That hummingbird had it coming.

It's class.
Beebs
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 03:43:45 PM »

Didn't pay the bill.

Groggy- I start up on Monday so I have 2 days of freedom left. I'll still get on when I can.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 03:54:41 PM »

Didn't pay the bill.

Groggy- I start up on Monday so I have 2 days of freedom left. I'll still get on when I can.

I've got 'til next Monday . . . I'll try to get on once a day but I plan to be involved in a number of extracurricular activities, plus driving lessons and perhaps a job.  Undecided

Beebs
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 04:08:10 PM »

Funny you should mention a job. My last day was yesterday. A bike shop in Dallas. I just got on after work. When school starts I have Crew (rowing) practice two hours after school everyday at the lake. I'll get home the same time I get off work but I'll have homework so we'll see how it goes. Stay with us though Grin  I;ll try to do the same.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 03:59:08 PM »

They all got it comming, lol, cool pics.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 10:40:16 PM »

it's "the deadly mantis" { film about a giant mantis loose int the big city} lol.   good going groggy.  bleach  Shocked

Movie Summary: This is one of those movies that is archetypal for our show: an insect grows to Brobdingnagian proportions because of nuclear or atomic radiation. William Hopper (AKA Paul Drake from Perry Mason) is a noted entomologist sent to an army base at the North Pole to investigate. He brings along his photographer lady friend, she falls in love with the guy in charge of the army base, and they all get attacked by said giant--and deadly--mantis. For some reason, when insects get enormous, they also have some sort of vendetta against humans. We have yet to do a movie in which a giant insect is giant and lives peacefully side by side with humans. Sure, there might be some friction over a gardening implement borrowed and not returned but they work it out. Or at least a giant anything who just minds his own business and doesn't get in anyone's way. Anyhoo, the deadly--and giant--mantis gets trapped in a tunnel in New York and is killed. Guy and Gal are in love; Gal gives up her silly career to be Mrs. Guy.  Paul Drake is fine!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 11:04:22 PM by Kermit » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 06:57:25 AM »

"The Deadly Mantis" - I've never seen it on MST3K to be honest, but I have seen it on its own.  It isn't a terrible movie, though it isn't as good as "Them!" (but better than "Tarantula" IMO). 

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 09:54:08 AM »

We have yet to do a movie in which a giant insect is giant and lives peacefully side by side with humans. Sure, there might be some friction over a gardening implement borrowed and not returned but they work it out. Or at least a giant anything who just minds his own business and doesn't get in anyone's way.

What about Clifford the big red dog?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398872/

It's class.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 04:00:09 PM »

As odd as this sounds... a praying mantis taking down a hummingbird is not an odd occurance, in fact I did a little research and in my encyclopedia on the list of things praying mantis' eat in their regular diet, hummingbird was third on the list behind other large insects and other praying mantis... yes 'hummingbird' specifically, not small birds or anything like that, that was farther on down the list, but apparently the mantis pretends to be a flower and just snatches them out of thin air.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 04:20:15 PM »

As odd as this sounds... a praying mantis taking down a hummingbird is not an odd occurance, in fact I did a little research and in my encyclopedia on the list of things praying mantis' eat in their regular diet, hummingbird was third on the list behind other large insects and other praying mantis... yes 'hummingbird' specifically, not small birds or anything like that, that was farther on down the list, but apparently the mantis pretends to be a flower and just snatches them out of thin air.

Interesting.  Praying mantis are one of the few types of insect that don't annoy the crap out of me.  We live near a forest, and during the summer (i.e. now) we get all kinds of visitors - sometimes into our food.  Ants, giant brown water beetles which look like roaches - and worst of all, little brown, almost microscopic bugs - thousands of them - which over the last week have forced us to throw away our toaster over, a good amount of our dishes, and roughly 33% of our food.  Shocked

I've only seen a praying mantis in the wild once, I think, but they're pretty interesting creatures.  I did not, however, know that hummingbirds made up a substantial part of their diets. Wink Live and learn, I say. . .

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 12:18:17 AM »

yeah they might be the least annoying insects... in fact when me and my bro saw this picture it made us think that a prehistoric giant mantis would make a great advisery in the next mothra movie... all of which are hilarious by the way and yes they were still making them as of 1996, anyone who can see rebirth of mothra II... anyway, thats what I automatically thought of when I saw the picture, I can see it in lights now THE THIRD REBIRTH OF MOTHRA BATTLES THE MIGHTY MANTISAURUS... anyway, way off topic but I thought I'd share.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
KERMIT
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 02:44:35 AM »

DIET

The praying mantis is a carnivorous insect that takes up a deceptively humble posture when it is searching for food. When at rest, the mantis' front forelegs are held up together in a posture that looks like its praying. These front legs are equipped with rows of sharp spines used to grasp its prey. They wait unmoving and are almost invisible on a leaf or a stem, ready to catch any insect that passes. When potential prey comes close enough, the mantis thrusts its pincher-like forelegs forward to catch it. The prey probably won't escape because the forelegs are so strong and armed with overlapping spines. The mantid bites the neck of its prey to paralyze it and begins to devour it. The mantis almost always starts eating the insect while it's still alive, and almost always starts eating from the insect's neck. This way, the mantis makes sure that the insect's struggle stops quickly. Praying mantises eat insects and other invertebrates such as other mantises, beetles, butterflies, spiders, crickets, grasshoppers, and even spiders. The praying mantises also eat vertebrates such as small tree frogs, lizards, mice and hummingbirds. Praying mantids can resemble flowers and can catch small, unknowing hummingbirds. Praying mantids also eat other nesting birds.

Beebs
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 05:24:56 PM »

Just have to say:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM