Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 02:51:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Place Only Mary Knows
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Place Only Mary Knows  (Read 9337 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2005, 06:27:26 PM »

Do you think this was supposed to be a prequel to GBU?

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 08:13:08 PM »

Were any of leone's movies really sequels or prequels... c'mon the man made 3 movies with the same lead actor and character and he never made a true sequel or prequel, it's a completely new story, he wrote the script and apparently the only thing in common with GBU are that it's set in the civil war and there is some gold people are after.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 09:15:11 PM »

Not directly through character or situation, but the American Dream trilogy kind of had a story line that was continued in each movie: opening the floodgates for capitalism in OUATITW, foreigners wanting to live the American dream in DYS and an immigrant eventually making it in OUATIA.

I think all of Sergio's movies had relevance to eachother in that respect.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 12:35:35 AM »

no contest there... it definitly seems like it has the distinct leone theme's to it... all i meant was no not really, i wasn't sure how much you knew about it and maybe you thought it might have an actual connection through character or situation.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 04:58:40 PM »

Based on what I've read, if Leone had been able to get some good actors in the lead roles, this would've been one hell of a movie.  I'd rather have seen it than "Leningrad", personally.

Saturday nights with Groggy
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 11:10:16 PM »

according to fraylings book he wrote it in the 80's for richard gere and mickey rourke as the lead roles.

Sentenza
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 08:45:35 AM »

Based on what I've read, if Leone had been able to get some good actors in the lead roles, this would've been one hell of a movie.
I absolutely agree! Wink As Kermit already pointed out Leone wanted Rourke and Gere for the lead roles, he even named the characters Mike and Richard. If I remember correctly he already had talked to Rourke about the project.

According to Italian sources Andrea Leone, Sergio's son, was still planning to have the movie made.

We kill him now, papa?!
franc tireur
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 08:30:48 AM »

According to the english Wikipedia entry for Sergio Leone, A place only Mary knows is the title of a treatment written by Leone, Morsella and Tonicelli about two soldiers in the Civil war. Anyone knows more about it ? I used the search function but wasn't very successful.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 09:02:02 AM »

The movie was never made.

It was just an idea Sergio had. He had a few others such as a remake of sorts of Winchester '73 called Colt 45, and an epic movie about the Siege of Leningrad.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 09:04:15 AM »

franc tireur, a heads up on Wikipedia, a lot of entry's have errors, that said,  I've heard about "A Place Only Mary Knows" from other sources I think Frayling, and supposedly Leone was thinking of Mickey Rourke and Richard Gere for the leads.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 05:56:03 PM »

franc tireur, a heads up on Wikipedia, a lot of entry's have errors, that said,  I've heard about "A Place Only Mary Knows" from other sources I think Frayling, and supposedly Leone was thinking of Mickey Rourke and Richard Gere for the leads.

Yeah that's basically all we know about it. I think the woman (Mary) only knows where a large amount of gold is and she two-times either the Gere or Rourke character. There wasn't much info and I odn't even know if a treatment was even written.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 06:35:47 PM »

There was a 25 page script treatment and it was featured in Italy's Ciak magazine.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 08:20:02 PM »

I didn't even know that there was that much written, certainly more than I originally thought.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 06:57:56 AM »

There was a 25 page script treatment and it was featured in Italy's Ciak magazine.

From Wikipedia: "Although the written draft never got into pre-production, Leone's son Andrea had it published in 2004."

I would love to see a copy of this.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 07:12:05 AM »

Then buy it.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM