Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 05:59:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Post 1979 Westerns
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post 1979 Westerns  (Read 84 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2017, 05:23:48 AM »

I'll make this it's own topic rather than have it buried in the thread it originally came up in.

Westerns Worth a Shit (WWAS): The post 1979 Westerns that I've seen that I thought were either Good to OK but flawed (there are of course some more that may make the list if I catch them). I'll expand the blurbs also.

The Long Riders (1980) good Western that uses sets of acting brothers to play historical outlaw brothers still has a "Golden Age" feel.

Tom Horn (1980) good still has a "Golden Age" feel. Steve McQueen's last Western.

Death Hunt (1981) good early 1900's "End of the West" Great White North Western.

The Grey Fox (1982) good "End of the West" Western.

Lonesome Dove (1989) miniseries good - the non PC "pokeable" town whore Lorena makes it special though bad guy Blue Duck should have been a stronger part.

Unforgiven (1992) works because of Eastwood. You just know that no matter how much pig shit he's laying in he's gonna switch into "Man With No Name" mode eventually.

Geronimo: An American Legend (1993) OK - flawed should have told Geronimo's story. If you call it Geronimo you'ed think he'd have more screen time than the US Cavalry, no?  Wes Studi who was great in The Last Of The Mohicans got short shifted, too bad.

Tombstone (1993) Good - hats look a bit right out of the hatbox stupid though.

Legends of the Fall (1994) OK early 1900's "End of the West" Western/Drama.

Wyatt Earp (1994) Good but a bit too talky Costner over indulges- Quaid's Doc Holiday looks more believable than Kilmer's in Tombstone.

And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself (2003) OK- flawed Zapata Western with Hollywood angle.

Open Range (2003) OK but the "Range" in Alberta Canada was a bit way too green.

Blueberry-Renegade (2004) Good a modern Spaghetti Western feel to it with a shaman Native American "peyote hallucination" (this one got panned by the fans of the Blueberry Comic strip for not following the comic, but if you weren't familiar with it and see it cold turkey it's good.) You are either gonna hate it or like it and roll with it.

The Proposition (2005) Good "Down Under" Aussie Western. It works.

3:10 to Yuma (2007) OK effort but with no epic landscape shots, contemporary PC inserts, and plenty of WTF were they thinking flaws.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) Good but flawed, looks good but it has these WTF, ridiculous, can't hit the broadside of a barn shootouts with legendary outlaws who you'd think during long periods between robberies would like the ranchers I knew out West who had nothing else to do would spend a lot of their leisure time target shooting and getting to know their weapons.

Appaloosa (2008) OK, but you just get the feeling that if a John Wayne, Gary Cooper, or Jimmy Stewart made an appearance they would just blow everyone else away with just their presence, but it's worth a look.

The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008) Good a Spaghetti-Manchurian Eastern with an "End of the West" Western feel. Some great RR shots.

True Grit (2010) Good, better than original in the fact that it was filmed in more correct looking landscapes for the novel it was based on. It's main area of lacking is the loss of all the great Western character actors that a director could tap into that were available in the John Wayne version.

Django Unchained (2012) Good A Spaghetti-ish-Southern but with a hurried over the top flawed ending.

The Salvation (2014) Good, a surprising modern Spaghetti/Danish Western.

The Homesman (2014) Good, but still, all these overly touchy feely arty Westerns seem to be more what I'd call Woman's Westerns. They just ain't the same animal, they got a different vibe to 'em, they still don't even compare to say a Woman's Western from the Golden Age like Westward The Woman. They just got an off feel to them.

Bone Tomahawk (2015) Good but a cop out, this is what happens in this fucked up overly sensitive let's not offend anyone PC world today, the Neanderthals substitute for Native Americans who did exactly all the same brutal tortures, and butcheries depicted. Some have said it's supposed to be Sawsquatch. Western Movies are doomed.

The Hateful Eight (2015) Good but flawed, another Spaghetti-ish Western but needed way more landscapes. I had an idea once for something similar, I'll explain. My Western would have involved a summit mining town on mountain pass where a train get's stranded by blizzard and avalanches on either side blocking the tracks. So you'd have the snowbound town like Day Of The OutLaw and The Great Silence, and a stalled train with it's passengers like Breakheart Pass. You'd have the action taking place in the saloon, the whorehouse, similar to McCabe & Mrs. Miller and Deadwood, and also around the puffing steam engine, etc., etc. But I never got past the opening setting scenario.

The Revenant (2015) Good, great look but stupidly flawed, when it didn't have to be, watch The Man In The Wilderness.

The Free State of Jones (2016) OK Southern., looks good but pretty boring, sort of a Civil War within the Civil War.

The Magnificent Seven (2016) OK but keeps ratcheting up the action to the point of non stop ridiculousness. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »

Bone Tomahawk, The Revenant, The Homesman, and to some extent, the Mag7 remake, were all pretty good. I haven't seen True Grit.  I think you omitted Silverado by mistake. It was a pretty good western.  I'm not feeling Quentin Tarantino anymore.  Too over the top unnecessary violence in his films.

I think you have to look at the " modern westerns" as a whole new animal all to themselves. Hollywood isn't interested in making " classic " movies anymore.  Its all about the bottom line with fast bucks. Hollywood spent $250 million dollars to make that garbage they called the Lone Ranger. After getting burned by it, they STILL think the way is to throw a ton of money at a superhero themed western. ( Mag7). Thats not how you make a western.

It would have to be a independant film maker who has to make the " next" classic western. Heck, Hollywood was DONE with westerns right about the time that Leone came along and helped create the sphagetti western genre which basically kept alive the whole western genre in general. Its THE reason that Lee Van Cleef made all those sphagetti westerns. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »

Yea, in another thread I was calling them Neo Westerns, and they should always be separated from the classics.

Silverado for me was another case of too over doing it. I'd give it a 6-7/10. And Costner hanging around like an orangutan WTF was up with that? That was sort of spell breaking for me right there, lol.

The thread that ran through every Western from 1903's Great Train Robbery to the early 70's was broken somewhere near the end of the 70's it seems. Every Western had elements of Westerns that came before, lots familiar actors, familiar faces, familiar locations. Each fed on previous Westerns.

With Silverado where were the familiar Western faces? Only one Sheb Wooley from "Rawhide", and I don't even remember his particular part. In my opinion Kevin Kline, John Cleese, Jeff Goldblum, just don't seem right belonging in a Western, they stick out like sore thumbs, at least to me, they don't seem rugged enough too metrosexual. I don't think they know how to cast Westerns anymore.

Its the same way with The Quick & The Dead you had token parts for Pat Hingle & Woody Strode and everyone else just don't seem right, aside from Gene Hackman.

The stable for Western character actors is too thin.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »

You should add Dances With Wolves. It has its problems and certainly didn't deserve to beat Goodfellas for all those Oscars, but it is, as you say, worth a shit.

What about Pale Rider? I'm not a big fan, but I suspect yopu'd want to add it to your list.

Finally, Legends of the Fall is a terrific movie, but it ain't no Western. Not even "an end of the West." Yes, it takes place in Montana, set largely on a ranch, but much of the action takes place well into the 1920's; there's none of the usual Wild Western themes. If this is a Western, so is A River Runs Through It. Neither are Westerns. Not every movie set west of the Mississippi is a Western  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 03:45:47 PM »

You should add Dances With Wolves. It has its problems and certainly didn't deserve to beat Goodfellas for all those Oscars, but it is, as you say, worth a shit.

What about Pale Rider? I'm not a big fan, but I suspect yopu'd want to add it to your list.

Finally, Legends of the Fall is a terrific movie, but it ain't no Western. Not even "an end of the West." Yes, it takes place in Montana, set largely on a ranch, but much of the action takes place well into the 1920's; there's none of the usual Wild Western themes. If this is a Western, so is A River Runs Through It. Neither are Westerns. Not every movie set west of the Mississippi is a Western  Wink

You just did that is what this thread is for. My problems with Pale Rider stem from the depiction of the placer miners. It's all shown like a nice little hippy commune circa 1968, it just doesn't compute, most of these camps were rip roaring hell holes and devoid of women.  The countryside in these placers would look like a moonscape and when you see the remains of of these placer mining camps today you still see the scars on the landscape.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM