Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 02:43:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Duck, You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite) 2-Disc Collector's Edition DVD is available! Order your copy today!

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Rape Scenes
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Rape Scenes  (Read 23983 times)
bling
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2005, 04:51:32 PM »

I am a big fan of the epic operatic scope of this film (and can not understadn why ipeople find it so hard to follow - watch it and concentrate!!) - however I have never been able to justify the explicit rape scenes. The films heroes are the perpetrators and there seems to be an uneasy acceptance of this throughout the film. This has always left a misogynistic feel about the movie i.e. sometimes no means yes. I know that Leone films generally are women free zones but this seems to cross the line.

Am I missing something?
Was Leone such a bitter old man by then that it impaired his judgement or is it just another paradox to this movie?
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »

Well in Leone's world of cinema it usually IS a man's world. Corrupt men Wink Murderin', beatin' people to a pulp, rapin' women, and bein' greedy, says I.
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 06:46:25 PM »

Also covered here:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2080.0

Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 07:33:30 AM »

You are missing something. For a film to be mysoginistic in my eyes, it has to condone mysoginy, or have mysoginy throughout with no justification or condemning of it. Leone condemns the act with the driver stopping the car and refusing a tip. I hate how people say any rape scene in a film makes it mysoginist, very narrowminded in my opinion, I can understand why people would be offended by it though, and I agree with Christopher Frayling in that I think the actual on screen raping goes on for slightly too long. It is not a mysoginist film though, in fact I think it is the most feminine of all Leone's films just in the feel and atmosphere of it.
lazyranchhand
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 06:38:11 PM »

I have to say, OUATIA is clearly misogynistic, possibly as a reflection of the characters' misogyny. Remember there are actually two rape scenes, and Tuesday Weld's character identifies her rapist in that memorable scene...

I love the movie, but its treatment of the female characters has always made me feel uneasy.
Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 10:23:00 AM »

I have to say, OUATIA is clearly misogynistic, possibly as a reflection of the characters' misogyny. Remember there are actually two rape scenes, and Tuesday Weld's character identifies her rapist in that memorable scene...

I love the movie, but its treatment of the female characters has always made me feel uneasy.

Tuesday Weld's character was never raped. You've misinterpreted the film there. You've ignored that the film actually condemns the rape too. Having a rape scene in a film does not make it mysoginist.
Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 12:20:39 PM »

Both of these scenes come straight out of the source novel, THE HOODS by Harry Grey. For many years Leone wanted to make a movie based on this book and he certainly couldn't elimnate these two very important dramatic bits if he wanted to stay faithful to the source.

The Tuesday Weld character asks to be beaten and violated because rough treatment turns her on. The book makes an important point about how her twisted perversion infects the men around her, who become callous, disrespectful, and downright delusional/crazy under her influence. This is why Noodles double-crosses the gang -- he feels Max has become insane under this masochistic female's evil influence.

Noodles rapes Deborah (her name is Dolores in the novel) in desperation because she has such a complete hold on his imagination that he feels he must "break the enchantment" with a rape and also because he believes that violating her will force her to marry him. This is stated very clearly on page 208. He also admits to himself that this is a "crazy thought" but proceeds anyway, until interrupted by the chauffeur.
Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 01:54:52 PM »

Does the cheuffer get out and say "Oh well done Noodles that was very good here's a tip"? NO!!!!!!!! He is disgusted by the act and that is the moral guideline, the rape is condemned it isn't misogynist, read it, watch it, come back if you still think it's mysoginist then eat your own head and shut up
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 02:49:34 PM »

No matter what the message is, your point of view shouldn't change because of it. Just think of any story about a character like Noodles, your point of view is what matters, even if the teller of the story has a different one, it's still stuff that happens and it shouldn't change the way you look at it Wink
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 02:53:51 PM by Poggle » Logged
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 02:36:15 AM »

Actually I never interpretated that Noodles raped Deborah, what I saw is that he was interupted by the driver and Deborah suceeded to reject him. So it was a rapt tentative but not a rape, as it didn't go till the end.
 Unless there had been some off screen scene, those two elements: the driver interruption and Deborah rejection let me understand there had been no rape.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 02:38:10 AM by Dlanor » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 02:49:46 AM »

what version did you watch ?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
bling
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 07:58:30 PM »

I've seen the full version - it was shown at a Leone festival at the British Film Institute a few years ago plus recent DVD release version. Lets get facts straight Deborah is raped.

Alan Shearer's comments clearly demonstrate the misogynistic elements of the film - female characters depicted as manipulative temptresses who either deserve a good slap or in fact like a good slap. Men led into these acts by said temptresses evil work!!! Bit archetypal characterisation going on I think.

True at the end of the day it is the individual perspective that counts and we do not need to be spoon fed consequences that make us feel justice is done but without a degree of direction by Leone it leaves the film feeling like the work of a bitter old man.

Are there any female fans of this film out there??!!

Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 08:15:27 PM »

Alan Shearer's comments clearly demonstrate the misogynistic elements of the film - female characters depicted as manipulative temptresses who either deserve a good slap or in fact like a good slap. Men led into these acts by said temptresses evil work!!! Bit archetypal characterisation going on I think.

Are there any female fans of this film out there??!!

Of course there are. Explain in detail and in specific context how anything I've said shows that MORE than one female character in the film is depicted as a manipulative temptress who deserves a good slap. My initial point about THE RAPE, the one and only rape in the film is that it is shown to be an immoral act through the chauffer refusing the tip. In case you didn't know, immoral means how should I put it, bad, nasty, unnacceptable. We aren't meant to be jumping out of our seats cheering at this moment of the film in case you didn't realise.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 08:22:45 PM by Alan Shearer 9 » Logged
J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 06:05:04 PM »

My problem with the rape scenes was that it was just so hard for me to have any sort of sympathy for a character who does something like that.  I know a lot of movies have protagonistst that are bad people, but in this case it just seemed to be a small thing that was just glossed over.  Almost like people would just forget that Noodles did it.
Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 04:34:43 AM »

it was the most important scene in the film you fool. You don't have to sympathise with Noodles, if you do then shame on you
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Support this site! Order Sergio Leone:
DVDs | Books | Soundtracks | Posters | Donate

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM