Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 08:53:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Rape Scenes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Rape Scenes  (Read 32246 times)
HEX
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 09:09:15 AM »

i sense an arguement in  the horizon. Sad

the man was just stating on how he took the scene. CALM DOWN SIR.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 11:41:50 AM by HEX » Logged
J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 11:38:51 AM »

Alan,

Whoah, hey now!  I was definitely not expecting to be called a fool for my last comment.  Maybe sympathise was the wrong word.  What I was trying to say was I had a tough time even caring what happens to Noodles because of what horrible things he did.  A lot of horrible characters that you're not supposed to like still have some redeaming qualities.  I just couldn't find any in Noodles.  Maybe it was the most important scene in the movie.  I honestly have to see it again.  It's possible I'll change my mind.  I just don't remember it being clearly the most significant thing that happens by any means.  My intention was not to start a figh.  I'm sorry if offended you or got you angry.

Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 12:20:35 PM »

I DON'T GET ON NO PLANE FOO'!  Tongue I was out of order really, just get annoyed because I have to argue the case for this film with pretty much everyone I know who's seen it, sorry about that anyway I'm sure you're no fool

J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2005, 12:51:17 PM »

That's alright, I forgive you.  Since I've only scene this movie once several months ago, I really don't feel qualified to argue anyway.  You actually reminded me that I need to watch it again.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2005, 08:36:40 PM »

You have to be ignorant to see that the rape scene was not intended to be shown as morally correct. It was meant to condemn rape but most importantly to " throw alittle dirt " on De Niro's character. All of Leone's film heroes are NOT good people and if they were placed in an American film they would probably be portrayed as the bad guys. Clint Eastwood's character cared about nothing but money and let executions happen while in most films the hero would spring into action to save the day. Bronson's character in OUATITW only cares about revenge and has no real feelings towards Jill except he protects her simply because she's his one way to find Frank, it has nothing to do with being morally good. Even Coburn and Steiger are in for money until the end when they turn to the side of revolutionaries because of their own personal vendettas. So in conclusion, all of Leone's main characters are anti-heroes and the rape scene was intended to portray this in a severe way.

J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 12:20:52 AM »

I basically agree with you.  It's true that all of Leone's main characters have "a little dirt" put in them as you said.  That's one of the many many things that makes his movies great.  However, I think Noodles had quite a lot more dirt thrown into his character than any of his others.  I'm not going to pretend that being bent on revenge of money is the same as rape.  Not even close.

Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 10:20:00 AM »

I say this constantly, the reaction of the driver is the thing in the scene which condemns it, I can't believe people can't see this. What's more interesting to me is do we think Noodles regrets doing it? I think he does and deep down I don't think he likes himself much because he can't control himself, and he treated Deborah like shit there

J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 11:25:14 AM »

Actually, I remember being a little confused why the driver didn't stop the car a lot sooner than he did.  I'm not sure why someone would let something like that happen for so long without doing anything about it.  I think his reaction, the clearly an angry disaproving one, was fairly toned down.

HEX
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 11:40:21 AM »

and wouldnt the driver call the police?
perhaps in the 30's rape looked down upon but not a serious crime? thats what it certainly seems like.
i know its a film but what was to stop the guy from parking in front of the nearest police station and hauling NOODLES'S ass to jail?

perhaps it was of the drivers own interest to let NOODLES off with a scowl so he can still get his tip?  Grin

oh no wait.... he refused the tip. whoops Roll Eyes.

Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 01:56:27 PM »

they didn't have mobile phones in those days HEX  Tongue But no, he probably knew who Noodles was and knew it was in his best interest not to take him to the police, I think he showed a lot of balls doing what he did if he knew who Noodles was

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 03:43:11 PM »

I've always thought that the drivers prevented the rape, I mean I see him stopping the car before the rape is commited and in fact the rape isn't comited because the driver interupted it. Actually we don't see Noodles raping Deborah, we see him fighting with her, but at the end and thanks to the driver she succeeds rejecting him before it's done and he gives up. I have always seen things this way.

scramdollface
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 03:55:31 PM »

The rape seems pretty explicit to me in the 229 minute DVD I have... I remember when I first saw it on VHS, it was much shorter and seemed more like what you described... maybe you're watching a different cut

HEX
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005, 04:15:32 PM »

ALAN u must see me as an idiot(as much as iam setting myself up again).

I KNOW THERE WERE NO MOBILE PHONES AT THAT TIME. USE YOURE IMAGINATION HE COULD HAVE STOPPED AT A PAY PHONE AND I OBVIOUSLY SAID THAT HE COULDVE PARKED IN FRONT OF A POLICE STATION!

anyway i see youre point about him knowing who NOODLES was. but he still could have easily reported him when he got home. though iam sure the cops would have turned a blind eye.
all iam saying is the guy really didnt do much of anything. he stopped the car 3 minutes to late.
thats like getting a pardon from the governer after they fried youre ass on old sparky.

no hard feelings sir Wink

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 07:01:13 PM by Harmonica » Logged
J B
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005, 05:34:32 PM »

Finally, some people are actually agreeing with me!   Smiley

Alan Shearer 9
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 02:22:11 PM »

ALAN u must see me as an idiot(as much as iam setting myself up again).

I KNOW THERE WERE NO MOBILE PHONES AT THAT TIME. USE YOURE IMAGINATION HE COULD HAVE STOPPED AT A PAY PHONE AND I OBVIOUSLY SAID THAT HE COULDVE PARKED IN FRONT OF A POLICE STATION!

anyway i see youre point about him knowing who NOODLES was. but he still could have easily reported him when he got home. though iam sure the cops would have turned a blind eye.
all iam saying is the guy really didnt do much of anything. he stopped the car 3 minutes to late.
thats like getting a pardon from the governer after they fried youre ass on old sparky.

no hard feelings sir Wink

I was only joking about that hence the  Tongue lol I know you know there weren't any mobiles then, you'd have to be a complete moron to think that  Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM