Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2019, 06:48:25 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  How many dollars, where's the other $1000???
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: How many dollars, where's the other $1000???  ( 4378 )
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« : November 21, 2005, 05:20:32 PM »

With seeing the restored, extended GBU last year, there comes a question: if Tuco was worth $2000 the first time, after which Blondie says Tuco's now worth $3000, why in the cave scene does Tuco say to the three that Blondie has $4000 - $1000 for each of them.  Obviously Blondie would handle all the cash when he turned in Tuco for ransom - so why didn't Blondie have $5000 then?  I can't believe he and Tuco spent $1000 in between, I think it might just be a mistake, or that the sheriff at the second "hanging" only paid Blondie $2000 instead of the new value of $3000 (maybe news traveled real slow, or $2000 was all the sheriff had).

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #1 : November 21, 2005, 06:03:13 PM »

The question about the money's a good one with reference to several characters in any of the Eastwood starrers. In each of these films we see many different protaganists being paid huge sums of cash for various different jobs.

What the hell do they do with all the money? Although we never see them spend any of it, put it in a bank or send it home to their dear old mother, they always wear the same ragged clothes, carry the same weapon and always seem broke and desperate for more.

Was it really that easy to spend a couple of thousand dollars (worth goodness knows how much in today's money) in a small, dusty flyspeck in the West at the end of the 19th century?

Perhaps this is why the non-Eastwood starrers become more economically realistic? The mystery at the heart of OUATIW is all about money, but not the kind that comes in bags with $ signs. Rather it comes in the John Fordian form of "civilisation", with a Station.

In GIU LA TESTA, a quest for cash from a bank robbery becomes a downbeat lesson in politics instead. In OUTIA, one character's simple faith in easy dollars is ripped apart by his friend's faith in something more political, more economically lasting.

Leone started his Western career with a simple image of a fistfull of dollars, but he ended it by asking some awkward questions about just what does it mean to have so much of the stuff that it'll no longer fit in a suit case in a locker in Grand Central Staion.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #2 : November 21, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »

Juan, yeah, okay, but have you ever heard of a MacGuffin?

Cusser, Tuco was telling the boys what they needed to know to do the job. 1K is a nice round number they could understand and would be big enough to push their "go" buttons. Of course, he didn't mention the fact that he was not splitting evenly and was keeping an extra thou for himself (no reason to confuse the boys at that point).

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #3 : November 22, 2005, 08:47:41 AM »

Dave - so you think Tuco just told the boys that and was to keep $2000 for himself?  It shocks me to think that Tuco might not have been 100% truthful....

Beebs

« #4 : November 22, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »

Either i'm going crazy or my American non special edition DVD is missing a scene. The only cave scene I know of is Blondie and Tuco counting money out with the I want more that half conversation

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : November 22, 2005, 09:09:29 PM »

What the hell do they do with all the money? Although we never see them spend any of it, put it in a bank or send it home to their dear old mother, they always wear the same ragged clothes, carry the same weapon and always seem broke and desperate for more.

Was it really that easy to spend a couple of thousand dollars (worth goodness knows how much in today's money) in a small, dusty flyspeck in the West at the end of the 19th century?

Well, thats what I thought too but then you read about all the train robberies and bank robberies that the Wild Bunch, The James, Dalton, Doolin, and other gangs pulled off and the amounts of money you think they would have been set for a pretty good spell, but they pretty much kept pull off jobs left & right, grant it on some jobes they made peanuts but others were tidy sums.

Beebs the "Cave" scene, more like an old mine actually is in the "Extended English Language Edition" a white box with Clint on the cover two disc set.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Hanley
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #6 : November 23, 2005, 03:26:48 AM »

With seeing the restored, extended GBU last year, there comes a question: if Tuco was worth $2000 the first time, after which Blondie says Tuco's now worth $3000, why in the cave scene does Tuco say to the three that Blondie has $4000 - $1000 for each of them.  Obviously Blondie would handle all the cash when he turned in Tuco for ransom - so why didn't Blondie have $5000 then?  I can't believe he and Tuco spent $1000 in between, I think it might just be a mistake, or that the sheriff at the second "hanging" only paid Blondie $2000 instead of the new value of $3000 (maybe news traveled real slow, or $2000 was all the sheriff had).

Blondie split the $2000 with Tuco (hanging rock scene) - Blondie had $1000 from the first foiled hanging. After the second foiled hanging, Blondie kept all the money ($3000). Thus, Blondie had a total of $4000. That's was a lot of money since the average weekly wage back then was, I think, around $20.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #7 : November 23, 2005, 07:42:40 AM »

All wrong, Hanley: Blondie would've had to have "held" all Tuco's money when Tuco was turned in for ransom, as the sheriff would've just kept it all.  One could take the opinion that Tuco hid or buried his share in between, though...

iceman
Bounty Killer

« #8 : November 24, 2005, 12:23:37 PM »

All wrong, Hanley: Blondie would've had to have "held" all Tuco's money when Tuco was turned in for ransom, as the sheriff would've just kept it all.  One could take the opinion that Tuco hid or buried his share in between, though...

Say again!....Hanleys version seems to make sense to me. ::) ::) ::) ::)

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #9 : November 24, 2005, 06:08:57 PM »

How difficult can this be to get? Sure, Blondie pays Tuco his half of the reward after the first "hanging," but what happens to that money before Blondie turns Tuco in the second time? He can't keep it on him: the authorities will confiscate it (and all his possessions) before they hang him. The logical move is for Tuco to give his thousand back to Blondie to hold for him while they go through the charade. So, when Blondie crosses Tuco after the second "hanging" he actually is crossing him twice (no wonder he was so ticked off!).

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
iceman
Bounty Killer

« #10 : November 25, 2005, 01:24:06 PM »

How difficult can this be to get? Sure, Blondie pays Tuco his half of the reward after the first "hanging," but what happens to that money before Blondie turns Tuco in the second time? He can't keep it on him: the authorities will confiscate it (and all his possessions) before they hang him. The logical move is for Tuco to give his thousand back to Blondie to hold for him while they go through the charade. So, when Blondie crosses Tuco after the second "hanging" he actually is crossing him twice (no wonder he was so ticked off!).

Righhhtt! understand now, sorry for being thick :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines