Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 09:07:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  F.W. Murnau!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: F.W. Murnau!  (Read 2394 times)
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2005, 05:40:58 PM »

Just watched MURNAU's FAUST (1926). Powerful beyond words! Grab a copy!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 12:12:33 AM »

I'm going to be skeptical until I see a great one of his because I was really dissapointed by the crap 'classic' nosferatu... it was terrible... and I usually enjoy silent movies... even silent horrors, like dr jeckyl and mr hyde, but nosferatu was one of the worst movies I've seen.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 12:51:42 AM »

One of my favourite directors. I think I've seen them all, mostly at the theatre. Would like to resee some, like Tartuffe, Nosferatu (though watched 3 times) and Last Laugh. Faust has great moments (like the first scene, if I remember well, of the creation of the world or something akin  with good special effects and the flying of Mephistopheles and Faust) but didn't impress me as the other ones, a little too stretched. Sunrise also is a good one, though can't remember much. 

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 03:49:39 PM »

sunrise and faust are definitly on my to see list but hopefully they don't dissapoint as much as nosferatu... any warnings that if I hate nosferatu I should stay away from the other two... or are they different enough?

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 04:05:56 PM »

Faust is in some ways like a 1920s Matrix - showcasing all the special effects of the age. Although it's also a lot more intelligent than that - some brilliant use of lighting, lots of the startling imagery you'd associate with the German Expressionist period.

There's about a fifteen minute comic relief section about 2/3rds through, which is very at odds with the rest of the film. You will probably either love or hate that.

As to comparisons to Nosferatu... well it's a lot more abstract, with a lot more symbolism. It's entirely constructed sets whereas Nosf. was mostly location. Bloody impressive sets though I have to say. And like I said it is more or less one long special effect, most of which looks very dated of course, but some is still impressive today. The acting is better than Nosf. - all three lead players are superb.

Oh and it's also somewhat a romantic tragedy... might put you off I don't know.

In other news, this is my 500th post - I've joined the elite!  Grin

« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 04:08:37 PM by redyred » Logged

It's class.
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 06:35:03 PM »

Faust is in some ways like a 1920s Matrix - showcasing all the special effects of the age. Although it's also a lot more intelligent than that - some brilliant use of lighting, lots of the startling imagery you'd associate with the German Expressionist period.

There's about a fifteen minute comic relief section about 2/3rds through, which is very at odds with the rest of the film. You will probably either love or hate that.

As to comparisons to Nosferatu... well it's a lot more abstract, with a lot more symbolism. It's entirely constructed sets whereas Nosf. was mostly location. Bloody impressive sets though I have to say. And like I said it is more or less one long special effect, most of which looks very dated of course, but some is still impressive today. The acting is better than Nosf. - all three lead players are superb.

Oh and it's also somewhat a romantic tragedy... might put you off I don't know.

In other news, this is my 500th post - I've joined the elite!  Grin
Nice review, redyed! Congrats on the 500th! Looking forward to the next 500.  Wink

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM