Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2018, 10:22:33 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  F.W. Murnau!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: F.W. Murnau!  ( 2691 )
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« : August 27, 2005, 04:40:58 PM »

Just watched MURNAU's FAUST (1926). Powerful beyond words! Grab a copy!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #1 : August 27, 2005, 11:12:33 PM »

I'm going to be skeptical until I see a great one of his because I was really dissapointed by the crap 'classic' nosferatu... it was terrible... and I usually enjoy silent movies... even silent horrors, like dr jeckyl and mr hyde, but nosferatu was one of the worst movies I've seen.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #2 : August 27, 2005, 11:51:42 PM »

One of my favourite directors. I think I've seen them all, mostly at the theatre. Would like to resee some, like Tartuffe, Nosferatu (though watched 3 times) and Last Laugh. Faust has great moments (like the first scene, if I remember well, of the creation of the world or something akin  with good special effects and the flying of Mephistopheles and Faust) but didn't impress me as the other ones, a little too stretched. Sunrise also is a good one, though can't remember much. 

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #3 : August 28, 2005, 02:49:39 PM »

sunrise and faust are definitly on my to see list but hopefully they don't dissapoint as much as nosferatu... any warnings that if I hate nosferatu I should stay away from the other two... or are they different enough?

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #4 : August 28, 2005, 03:05:56 PM »

Faust is in some ways like a 1920s Matrix - showcasing all the special effects of the age. Although it's also a lot more intelligent than that - some brilliant use of lighting, lots of the startling imagery you'd associate with the German Expressionist period.

There's about a fifteen minute comic relief section about 2/3rds through, which is very at odds with the rest of the film. You will probably either love or hate that.

As to comparisons to Nosferatu... well it's a lot more abstract, with a lot more symbolism. It's entirely constructed sets whereas Nosf. was mostly location. Bloody impressive sets though I have to say. And like I said it is more or less one long special effect, most of which looks very dated of course, but some is still impressive today. The acting is better than Nosf. - all three lead players are superb.

Oh and it's also somewhat a romantic tragedy... might put you off I don't know.

In other news, this is my 500th post - I've joined the elite!  ;D

« : August 28, 2005, 03:08:37 PM redyred »

It's class.
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« #5 : August 28, 2005, 05:35:03 PM »

Faust is in some ways like a 1920s Matrix - showcasing all the special effects of the age. Although it's also a lot more intelligent than that - some brilliant use of lighting, lots of the startling imagery you'd associate with the German Expressionist period.

There's about a fifteen minute comic relief section about 2/3rds through, which is very at odds with the rest of the film. You will probably either love or hate that.

As to comparisons to Nosferatu... well it's a lot more abstract, with a lot more symbolism. It's entirely constructed sets whereas Nosf. was mostly location. Bloody impressive sets though I have to say. And like I said it is more or less one long special effect, most of which looks very dated of course, but some is still impressive today. The acting is better than Nosf. - all three lead players are superb.

Oh and it's also somewhat a romantic tragedy... might put you off I don't know.

In other news, this is my 500th post - I've joined the elite!  ;D
Nice review, redyed! Congrats on the 500th! Looking forward to the next 500.  ;)

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines