Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 03:41:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Requiescant aka Kill and Pray (1967)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Requiescant aka Kill and Pray (1967)  (Read 10794 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2005, 01:01:39 PM »

Well I bit on this DVD issued from Wild East, got it for the free shipping the total came too, my main purchase was Eli Wallach's "The Good The Bad & Me".

Anyway this film directed by Carlo Lizzani is probaqbly a good example of the average SW of the vast amount of produced in the heyday of SW's.

Its strickly a B- to C film sets look cheap especially the fanciful designed destroyed fort at the set piece beginning of the film, looks like its built out of styrofoam.

A Mexican leader and his people are lured there in a promise of peace and a grant of land by a dandy land baron named Ferguson (Mark Damon) they are gatling-gunned down with one of the survivors being a small boy who recieves a glancing shot to the head. He is found wandering by a religious family and taken in. The story continues 15+- years later boy (Lou Castel) and daughter (Barbra Fey) are grown and are attracted to each other but girl runs away after seeing glamourous saloon girls and the boy leaves to find her.

Boy is in a town at the scene of a bank robbery one man is shot the boy picks up his S&W and without ever having a gun in his hand and without aiming shoots down two fleeing outlaws. He pulls out a small bible and says "requisant en pache" (sorry for the spelling) so he is called Requisant .

Its got the plot twists, and some innovational gun dules that make it a SW but its not woth the price, see if you can rent it if you must view it. Its probably all shot in Italy and looks it, didn't recognise any Almeria backgrounds.

It has an interview with Lou Castel but he seems a bit out of it. And part of the interview is about Matalo, another  Castel performance where he is a boomarange wielding fighter, lol.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 11:28:37 AM by Banjo » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 06:16:11 PM »

nice to hear wallach's people include the
 castel interview. a tidy sum of recollections.

somewhere, out there c/j, is a SW none of us has seen yet, lol

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 01:55:04 PM »

Thanks for letting me use the review CJ  Grin and, again, if anyone else has seen it and wants to cast their vote, the poll is at http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns/reviews/killandpray.html

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 10:04:40 AM »

I tried to watch this about 20 years ago when it was televised on a small tv channel. Couldn't make it, sorry; watching PPP disguised as a peone, quoting from some little red book abount small peasants' emancipation didn't make me laugh. 

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 03:22:24 AM »

I picked this up under the alternate title Kill and Pray from Ebay for £3 but i am strongly considering shelling out a dozen more pounds to buy the Wild East dvd which i understand is 10 minutes longer!
† † † †Using Cigar Joes Leone Lovers guidelines(which equates to SW lovers in my opinion despite what he says-sorry CJ!) i would consider this movie to be somewhere between A and B grade-lets say A minus!
There are some great set pieces which may look cheap to CJ but so what,we are talking about a SW afterall and this together with the dodgy dubbing/editing is part of the charm of this genre.One of the things not mentioned above and a very compelling reason to buy the dvd is the brilliant performance of the bigotted,sadistic,women hating,gay villain played wonderfully over- the- top by† Mark Damon.This is easily the best i've seen him in a SW(i'm waiting to see Johnny Yuma which Marco Leone rates highly).There is a fantastic scene where Damon and the Requiescant character partake in a drinking/shooting contest where a girl holds up a lit candlelabra from a distance and the two adversaries have to alternately shoot out the flames while they are gradually getting more and more enibriated-it is an absolute must see!
It must also be mentioned that Carlo Lizanni also directed the widely regarded classic Hills Run Red and yes he was a movie critic but aren't we all ?Another well known movie critic,director and SW buff Alex Cox includes this movie in his personal SW top ten among the likes of Leone,Big Gundown,Great Silence etc.What higher recommendation for a top notch spaghetti western can there be!!!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 05:09:32 AM »

Its your money, too bad you didn't post this sooner I sold my Wild East version already, cheaply, sorry I'm not charmed by crappy films, too each his own.

This film is for SW fanatics only, lol.  Shocked

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 03:08:42 PM »

if anyone here has subtitles for Requiescant, or a dvd copy that they could rip the subtitle file from, i would be greatly appreciative.

i currently have two copies of Requiescant. one is horrible quality, and the other is pretty good- with only italian audio. the copy that is really bad quality, contains subtitles, but they are encoded into the video rather than a seperate subtitle file.

so currently, i am going through and typing the subtitles by hand into a new file. this is going to take forever....

on the other hand, if no one does have subs for this movie, and may happen to need them, i would be glad to share once finished..

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 03:16:19 PM »

This subject should go elsewhere but why not just buy the Wild East version with english audio?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 03:29:43 PM »

This subject should go elsewhere but why not just buy the Wild East version with english audio?

does it have the italian audio track as well? i'm checking out the wild east store and it doesn't say...

i'd prefer the italian track to a dub..

plus i've already put a decent amount of time into tracking down the copies i have.. and i'm a stubborn bastardo..

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 04:41:46 PM »

i'd prefer the italian track to a dub..

The Italian track IS dubbed.
...................................................................................................................
 And no the wild east version does not have the italian track.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 04:43:53 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 05:12:23 PM »

oh, excuse me

technical translation: i prefer the original language

the translations in subs are always much better than they are in the english audio tracks, in my opinion. plus the voice actors are usually ridiculous sounding in the english tracks

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 06:30:44 PM »

the translations in subs are always much better than they are in the english audio tracks, in my opinion. plus the voice actors are usually ridiculous sounding in the english tracks

True, but I prefer listening to it in english (regardless of how ridiculous it may sound sometimes) since it is set in the American west anyway. Seems more authentic.

And I'll tell you something else...the english dub of the film is actually very good.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 07:46:35 PM »

hm, well maybe i'll have to consider it.. seems i have the cut version as well.. the runtime on wild east version is about 10 mins longer

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 07:47:26 PM »

A personal message for you.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 03:56:37 AM »

Leone Admirer's review from his SW Virgins Guide:-

Kill And Prey

Better known in Europe as Requiescant, this different and quite adult Spaghetti hooks you with its interesting tone and characters.
 A boy is the sole survivor of a massace of his family and his people for their land by gringo land grabbers. He is found by a travelling priest and his wife and daughter. The boy grows up and is named Requiescant (Lou Castel) meaning 'Rest in Peace'. The elderly preachers daughter, Princie, runs off to join a travelling show girls circus and Requiescant goes off to look for her. His quest brings him to the insane 'aristocrat' Ferguson (Mark Damon of Johnny Yuma fame) his employees are holding Princie as a prostitute. Requiescant's quest brings him on the trail of redemption, violence and betrayal.
        Staright away, the film begins on a violent note with the killing of the boys family and people. The camera holds on the bullets impacting the people and the child is shown to be seriously wounded by a bullet that scrapes the top of his head. Then later on, the mixture of religion and the often cruel way he kills the people that he believes 'done him wrong' This involves an interesting duel involving two people hanging from the ceiling standing on stools and the idea that each has to shoot the stool away from the other to kill him. 
      The film does have some plot holes but these can be looked over as they help to add to the mood and the style of the piece. This can been seen where requiescant returns to the place where his family was murdred 20 years earlier and all the bones are still there. You would have thought the murderes would want to have hidden the body, especially when we later learn that they are very worried about being found out about the massacre. But the sight of Requiescant finding the bones and seemingly going insane is a very powerful sequence. Also some more unbelievable sections of the film, the fact that depsite he has never shot a gun before in his life, he is a crack shot and never misses and can be seen to add to the more mysterious side of the character.
        The film has some very black humor, which I have come to expect from Spaghtti's even after just watching four of them. Again this adds to the quite downbeat mood of the movie, especially when Requiescant is actually chastised by a priest for enjoying the killing, citing that he is becoming an evil person and yet one that fighters need.
        Acting again was great with Castel excelling himself as the creepy protagonist. However Damon was the best actor, relishing and chewing up the scenery as the slightly insane Ferguson. Its such a change both physically (he looks a lot like James Dean in this film) and mentally from his portrayal of the hero in Johnny Yuma that it shows what a great actor the man was. Ferguson's character is rascist, sexist, violent and he has homesexual tendencies towards his men and it adds to all the dangerous quality (this is heavily written about on the back of the DVD)
       Directing was distinctive, fast paced, quirky and exciting and the tight 1.85:1 was dirty and added to the feel of the film. Dubbing was overal of a good quality as was with the sound and music, though there wasn't a really distinctive song like the previous Spaghetti's I have watched.
        The transfer that Wild East has given us is the best I have seen so far, there is still a little damage but colors were stong and vibrant. Sound quality was also very good. Also included is some more Spaghetti trailers, this time involving Lou Castel, another exhaustive photo gallery and a rather entertaining interview with Lou Castel who remembers fondly working on the film and its director Carlo Lizzani.
         I very much recomend this film to all Spaghetti fans. It is an interesting, adult and strange interpretation of the west, a sort of step up I believe to what Django Kill will be like.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM