Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:43:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Just saw a little William Holden perspective
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just saw a little William Holden perspective  (Read 2772 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2005, 07:27:53 PM »

TCM did a little William Holden day this past Sunday saw a couple of good films,  two cavalry pieces "Escape From Fort Bravo" (1953) and the "Horse Soldiers" (1959 both were pretty good films both dealing with the Civil War, the former even had a prison camp band (CSA) like GBU.

It also showed "Bridge Over The River Kwai" and a few other good films.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 02:32:38 PM »

TCM did a little William Holden day this past Sunday saw a couple of good films,  two cavalry pieces "Escape From Fort Bravo" (1953) and the "Horse Soldiers" (1959 both were pretty good films both dealing with the Civil War, the former even had a prison camp band (CSA) like GBU.

It also showed "Bridge Over The River Kwai" and a few other good films.
I think Holden was a terrific screen presence. I can't get enough of his westerns. Alongside THE WILD BUNCH; I have always enjoyed, RACHEL AND THE STRANGER , THE MAN FROM COLORADO (both1948); WILD ROVERS (1971) to name but a few! And indeed, the ones you mention above.

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 04:46:19 PM »

"The Horse Soldiers" is a great underrated film featuring great performances by John Wayne and William Holden, and some good (if not spectacular) battle scenes.  Certainly, it is much less glorifying of war than most of Wayne's other war films.

I was able to watch about half of BOTRK, before I was forced to get a haircut!  Just before the plot really got started, too . . .

I'd love to see "Escape From Fort Bravo", and if it's ever on I'll try to catch it.  Same with "Man From Colorado"?

What do you guys think of "Stalag 17"?  I saw about an hour of it and I liked what I saw, but obviously didn't get to see the end.

I first saw Holden in TWB, his performance blew me I way.  An actor who'd made his career as a pretty boy playing such a violent, desperate character was a brilliant bit of casting IMO, and no offense to Lee Marvin (Peck's first choice for Pike) but there's no way in hell he could've matched Holden's performance.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 05:00:48 PM »

Groggy, you gotta catch all of STALAG 17. It's terrific! Holden steals it but PETER GRAVES (Five Man Army, Mission Impossible tv series) gives a career best performance. Can't rate this movie high enough. The way it is shot and the ensemble playing moves like a night at live theatre! Grab a copy!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 05:18:06 PM »

Yea Holden was great, BOTRK and Stalag 17 are well worth watching, if you remember Hogan's Hero's a lot of the characters from HH were derived from this film ( Sergeant Shultz, etc.) also the theme song drum beat.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 08:41:28 PM »

Groggy, if you can find a copy of Escape from Fort Bravo, pick it up.  I won't give away the ending, but it is very unique and different from almost every other western showdown.

And I'll second or third or whatever the vote for Stalag 17.  Great ensemble cast, especially Holden.  Gotta love the Animal and Harry Shapiro.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 06:52:37 PM »

William Holden was as tough as nails.  He did a western where he got shot to rags by a younger guy, but survived.  Can't recall the name right now.  Love the Wild Bunch.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM