Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 02:48:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "Duck, You Sucker!" vs. "Fistful of Dynamite"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Duck, You Sucker!" vs. "Fistful of Dynamite"  (Read 49527 times)
mgmguy
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2003, 05:35:09 PM »

In response to the questions about theatrical play in the U.K. of our Leone films, I can only say that I expect the restorations and new prints of all four films to be completed by the end of this year. The studio is not planning an official re-release of the films in the U.S. (or anywhere else that I'm aware of). It will be up to individual revival houses, cinematheques, museums, etc., to book the new prints at their discretion. If you're in London, you might stuff the NFT's suggestion box with your requests to screen all four films next year.

Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2003, 03:16:44 AM »

Jon and the rest. Yes you have to definitely see these films in a theaterm on a big screen with an audiance. It is not to be missed.
Indeed!

Grin

Garry Cowell
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2003, 03:28:01 AM »

Just found out that MGM are releasing the R2 (UK) DVD. It's scheduled to drop on the 21st July...

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=3&articleId=5441

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2003, 04:26:43 AM »

Will probably be a cut version but still good news!

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2003, 08:50:58 AM »

Indeed!

Grin
Garry
Iwas at the OUATIW but missed all the others, we need to get on to NFT for this new GBU, if it doesnt come over here it will be a travesty.
It's amazing to see Leone on the big screen, especially when we're used to 4:3 pan and scan versions pre-DVD 16:9 era)

J.T. Chance
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2003, 03:52:42 PM »

the Home Video Dept. is a world unto its own - so far it has only selected about half of the films I've restored in the last 5 or 6 years for release on DVD.
I'm sad to hear that.

Which films have you restored?

Are the elements for Duck, You Sucker in good shape?

What happens with the MGM films now owned by Warner Bros?

Thanks.

J.T.

"Shelter me from the powder and the finger
Cover me with the thought that pulled the trigger..."
dynamite
Road Apple

GIU LA TESTA (you sucker!)

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2003, 11:35:11 AM »

I'm Italian (just like TBPJMR: -ciao Tuco, come va?-)

I've any Leone's quote about the title translation; I'm going to look for it soon.
in the meanwhile:

• It's wrong to translate  Gił la testa with Heads up or get out of the way
  • the closest tranlation is bow your head
  • Duck,you sucker is the traslation of a sentece often pronunced in the movie (abbassati, coglione)
  • the movie has never been distibuted in Italy with another title

Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2003, 06:03:47 PM »

I'm Italian (just like TBPJMR: -ciao Tuco, come va?-)

I've any Leone's quote about the title translation; I'm going to look for it soon.
in the meanwhile:

• It's wrong to translate  Gił la testa with Heads up or get out of the way
  • the closest tranlation is bow your head
  • Duck,you sucker is the traslation of a sentece often pronunced in the movie (abbassati, coglione)
  • the movie has never been distibuted in Italy with another title

In the Noel Simsolo interview, Sergio Leone himself said that it also meant "get out of the way". In a sense, this represents the concept of a Revolution.

I don't believe anyone tried to translate it as "Heads Up". It clearly means "head down".
You shouldn't translate it as "bow your head", because in English that takes on a religious connotation, or a demonstration of respect to your superiors.
You don't "bow your head" with any great speed. Whereas a simple "Duck" or "Get down" or the popular Western term "Hit the dirt" equates with the idea of "Giu la testa". If someone throws a stick of dynamite your way, you "duck". If you don't duck, then you're a sucker.

I think this is one of those cases where a translation of the sense of the words is more important than a literal translation.
After all, we don't literally translate IL BUONO IL BRUTTO IL CATTIVO as "The Good, The Ugly, The Bad", do we?

Hey Blondie
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2003, 07:47:08 PM »

I like the title "A Fistful of Dynamite" but "Duck, You Sucker!" seems like an appropiate title as well.

Well, lets put it this way. Name the film "A Fistful of Dynamite" because first of all there is a fistful of dynamite and Sean is not only a dynamite expert but he is killed in an explosion.

Now at the end when Juan asks "What about me?" just have the words "DUCK, YOU SUCKER!" appear.

When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk!
Half-Soldier
Chicken Thief

"Adios, half-soldier"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2003, 02:58:09 PM »

"A Fistful of Dynamite"  is the least appropriate, the film is Leone's centrepiece in his second triliogy, hence "Once Upon A Time, Revolution". But the film has a special political connotation with "Giu' La Testa" and I think "Duck, You Sucker!" is the best translation of that.

"People with ropes around their necks don't always hang!"
Frank
Chicken Thief

Now that you've told him my name....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2003, 12:08:24 AM »

Following the numberous name changes on this film, I've always thought of it as:  THE FILM WITH FOUR NAMES.

Garry Cowell
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2003, 06:53:13 AM »

Following the numberous name changes on this film, I've always thought of it as:  THE FILM WITH FOUR NAMES.
"You 'named' three too many!"  Grin

Chrille
Road Apple

Belch!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2003, 12:50:48 PM »

Does anyone know if this is the remastered uncut version of the film? Looks pretty good to me:
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=121610

If not I certainly hope your remastered versions will make it to DVD in 2.35 rather than 1.85. Unfortunatley MGM has a very annoying tendency to release their special edition DVDs in 1.85 which is very annoying as the extra content on their releases is often very satisfying. mgmguy, any idea why they almost always release the dvd's in 1.85 even when they release the movie on two discs?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2003, 02:09:17 AM »

i bought the R2 dvd of Giu la Testa... there is no final flashback, Juan doesn't say "what about me?" at the end, and "Fistful of Dynamite" is the title that appears at the end.... Awful!
The dvd has no bonus exept a trailer; the sound and the picture are awfull; with some big trouble a few times (like in the french dvd of GBU, when the sound stops just when Blondie says "such ingratitude after all the time i saved your life").
Awfull.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Garry Cowell
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2003, 03:50:02 AM »

i bought the R2 dvd of Giu la Testa... there is no final flashback, Juan doesn't say "what about me?" at the end, and "Fistful of Dynamite" is the title that appears at the end.... Awful!
You might wanna read this thread.

Oh and by the way watch your wording, as to me the "R2 dvd of Giu La Testa" refers to the Italian R2 DVD! I assume you where talking about the R2 (UK) version A Fistful of Dynamite, right?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM