Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 07:50:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  wish I was a professional movie critic
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: wish I was a professional movie critic  (Read 14046 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 03:44:05 PM »

Just goes to show waht a pack of weasliy lemmings all the critics were. I remember a very good positive review from a mag called Film Society Review.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 04:15:33 PM »

I wonder what his favorite film of 1967 was?

I'll give it a shot. Docter Dolittle maybe? 'he talks to the animals you know'

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 02:49:23 PM »

I'll give it a shot. Docter Dolittle maybe? 'he talks to the animals you know'

Ebert must be a pillock Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 01:34:29 PM »

I wonder what his favorite film of 1967 was?

I can easily presume it was a toss-up between Graduate, Zivagoff and Sound of Music. He's a serious critic, ya know...

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2005, 09:00:33 PM »

i didnt take the time to read all the post(one can read only so much on ebert) but id like to say that most of his reviews for leones westerns were negative in the 60"s. and he has gone back and looked at these films and called them masterpieces. not that iam defending the fat bastard.

That is precisely why I could never be a successful critic... the one thing you have to do to be a successful critic is say exactly what the audience wants to hear, and only reccomend those movies that every idiot will love... which is also the only reason I even read ebert's and, before he died, siskel's reviews now, because they are/were the only two critics big enough to actually write their own opinions and get away with it.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Christopher
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 08:48:33 PM »

I've always respected Ebert. The only reason why people take shots at him is because he's the most famous critic around these days. I used to watch the show, going back to when Gene was still alive, and I actually found out about indie movies that I wouldn't have found out about otherwise.

Of course you don't have to agree with everything he says. Check out his Unforgiven review in his Great Movies series. That left me a little puzzled. Huh

HEX
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 09:48:04 PM »

Check out his Unforgiven review in his Great Movies series. That left me a little puzzled. Huh

why is it puzzling. u did not like UNFORGIVEN?

Christopher
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 08:57:57 AM »

I love Unforgiven, but Ebert writes as if it's your basic, everyday common western. It's been a while since I've read it, but I remember Ebert talking about the ending, and the "Deserves got nothing to do with it" line, and Ebert says something about deserving does have something to do with it. And I'm like, but the movie says just the opposite, and it means what it says.

HEX
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 09:06:48 AM »

I love Unforgiven, but Ebert writes as if it's your basic, everyday common western. It's been a while since I've read it, but I remember Ebert talking about the ending, and the "Deserves got nothing to do with it" line, and Ebert says something about deserving does have something to do with it. And I'm like, but the movie says just the opposite, and it means what it says.

EBERT need to get his eyes checked(some carrots will do him some good as opposed to the pounds of hamburger meat he eats every day) UNFORGIVEN is a very different western from others. it is very original. the hero is pretty much a wathced up gunfighter who cant even get on his horse. it is not until the end that we see him as a badass. also the film has other elements that i personally have not seen in a western or any other film for that matter. and that element is that guns are inaccurate just like humans. they do overheat and misfire. they are not always reliable. and the film focuses on this. it also focuses on the effects of killing another human being.

"itsa helluva thing killing a man"

and EBERT is a helluva of an idiot for thinking this is the same western we have been getting all these years.

i am being harsh on ebert, i do somewhat respect the man, and i think he is the best of the bunch when it comes to critics.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 09:59:46 AM »

All reviewers have different opinions, though the ones that say Keira Knightly is a good actress really need to see a psychiatrist  Roll Eyes

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
HEX
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 10:02:40 AM »

All reviewers have different opinions, though the ones that say Keira Knightly is a good actress really need to see a psychiatrist  Roll Eyes

she is a hottie! Cheesy she is one of the few actresses that i will go see a film just to look at her. didnt get to see DOMINO though. couldnt find the time. i hear i didnt miss much though.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 10:03:36 AM »

To be honest I don't find her attractive at all so I don't have any advantages to see her deliver her lines poorly in movies in which she is miscast.

HEX
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 10:05:49 AM »

To be honest I don't find her attractive at all so I don't have any advantages to see her deliver her lines poorly in movies in which she is miscast.

one man's junk is another man's treasure i suppose.

i am very interested in hearing youre opinion on why she is a bad actress(not that i am disagreeing with u)

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2005, 10:11:30 AM »

I just hate her delivery of her lines. Its like she doesn't put any effort into them. Often her manerisms in films, such as Domino, look very uncomfortable. However, I havent seen Pride and Prejudice yet and she seems to be good I have to admit at playing prim English roses, which is actually a role I hate, so if she gets nominated for an Oscar for that, which seems to be the rumour I have read and have been told about, then I suppose she could deserve it.

HEX
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2005, 10:19:07 AM »

I just hate her delivery of her lines. Its like she doesn't put any effort into them. Often her manerisms in films, such as Domino, look very uncomfortable. However, I havent seen Pride and Prejudice yet and she seems to be good I have to admit at playing prim English roses, which is actually a role I hate, so if she gets nominated for an Oscar for that, which seems to be the rumour I have read and have been told about, then I suppose she could deserve it.

yes i do agree with u that she sometimes gives out some cringe worthy lines...

if u like pain! trying wearing a corset...(ouch i am still shivering from that one.)

however i think she does a well enough job in the roles that they give her to justify her exitance and not just as a beautiful english tart. i guess my opinion on her does not surprise u much since the subject matter we were discussing yesterday.
she has become something of a household name in the states now. if it wasnt for PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN i dont think anybody here would know of her.
as for PRIDE AND PREJUDICE i hated the book(not my thing) and i will undoubtly despise the film, however i will go see it for an obvious reason.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM