Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 11:15:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  3:10 to Yuma (1957)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3:10 to Yuma (1957)  (Read 18131 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 03:05:36 PM »

Haven't seen the original in ages. Remember liking it, except for the atrocious cop-out ending.

I hope the remake's good.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 06:21:06 PM »

Yeah, the remake could improve on the original if it doesn't reproduce the cop-out ending. Given what I've seen in the trailer, it looks like this time the son of the Van Heflin/ Christian Bale character follows his dad to town. There's competition for the kid's loyalty between the dad and the bandit. Presumably, at the moment of crisis, the kid has to make a choice, and I imagine he chooses to save his dad (which may mean killing Russell Crowe). Remember, you heard it here first.....

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 11:39:01 PM »

Remember liking it, except for the atrocious cop-out ending.

can you explain please? do you mean the fact that evan's didn't maim wade's gang like he did in the story?
when i think back to it that was pretty disappionting. i remember reading the story imagining the shoot out in a total peckinpah style of editing

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 06:43:08 AM »

No, that Wade agreed to voluntarily go along with Evans. If it weren't for "The Game", that would be the stupidest ending to a film ever. Roll Eyes

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 12:20:38 PM »

Haven't seen the original in ages. Remember liking it, except for the atrocious cop-out ending.

I hope the remake's good.

I agree that the ending was a bit of a downer. I think the remake will have a better ending.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 02:38:46 PM »

Anybody else love the soft, yet beautiful music that plays throughout the film? It plays great particularly in the scenes involving Glen Ford and Felicia Farr.

I wonder if similar music will be used in this remake? mmmm Huh

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2007, 06:35:58 PM »

Anybody else love the soft, yet beautiful music that plays throughout the film? It plays great particularly in the scenes involving Glen Ford and Felicia Farr.

I wonder if similar music will be used in this remake? mmmm Huh
im not sure why but i doubt that they'll use similar music

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »

This piece was published almost a year ago but I only came across it today. Pretty funny: http://www.slate.com/id/2175455/

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 11:12:11 AM »

Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 08:56:37 PM »

just saw 3:10 to Yuma (1957) for the first time.

Of all the awful endings in  Westerns -- and there are many; remember Red River? -- this may be the worst. EVER. I mean the WORST. no exaggeration. I did not enjoy the movie anyway nearly as much as some of you guys have. But that ending made it awful. Even with Red River, I can separate an awful ending from an otherwise great movie. But 3:10 to Yuma is an overrated movie that the ending makes utterly disastrous. Absolutely disastrous. Yes, my two adjectives to describe this movie are "disastrous" and "awful."

Even aside from the ending, this is an overrated movie. I mean, the Heflin character did an awful job "guarding" the Ford character, allowing him to look out the window and talk with his gang etc. It felt more like Heflin and Ford were roommates in a resort, rather than a guard and a prisoner.

I completely regret wasting the 90 minutes watching this movie. Two thumbs down  Angry Sad Shocked Huh Roll Eyes Cry

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:34:56 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 01:44:27 AM »

What's wrong with the ending? You should at least give us a clue.

I like the ending and the movie.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 01:58:50 AM »

What's wrong with the ending? You should at least give us a clue.

I like the ending and the movie.

I didn't wanna discuss the ending other than say how much I hated it, cuz i didn't wanna give anything away. But I'll discuss the  ending here with the usual SPOLIER ALERT

I don't understand how anyone can not hate the ending. I mean, all day long Ford'd gang has been after Heflin, who is guarding Ford, a murderer and a thief and someone who may come after Heflin's family if he escapes. His crew comes to break him free, and then he jumps onto the train with Heflin, rather than the easy path at freedom he can so easily take? Come on!!! (his explanation that Heflin once saved his life and he doesn't wanna owe anyone anything is absolute horseshit). The notion that the Ford character would jump with the Heflin character onto the train to Yuma, and away from his men who can easily save him, is absolutely ridiculous. As the word means, the notion  is worthy of ridicule

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:26:03 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 05:37:07 AM »

I don't understand how anyone can not hate the ending. I mean, all day long Ford'd gang has been after Heflin, who is guarding Ford, a murderer and a thief and someone who may come after Heflin's family if he escapes. His crew comes to break him free, and then he jumps onto the train with Heflin, rather than the easy path at freedom he can so easily take? Come on!!! (his explanation that Heflin once saved his life and he doesn't wanna owe anyone anything is absolute horseshit). The notion that the Ford character would jump with the Heflin character onto the train to Yuma, and away from his men who can easily save him, is absolutely ridiculous. As the word means, the notion  is worthy of ridicule

In all the things I have read about about 3:10 to Yuma no one ever complained about the ending. It seems that at least a lot of people don't think it is ridiculous.

Ford is a bandit, but not an asshole. He does what he did out of sympathy for Heflin. For me it works very well.
I also like the ending of Red River which is for me more interesting as just the usual "bad guy gets killed ending".

And even if I would think the ending is bad, it would not destroy the whole film for me, cause it has a lot of other qualities.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 06:19:45 AM »

In all the things I have read about about 3:10 to Yuma no one ever complained about the ending. It seems that at least a lot of people don't think it is ridiculous.

Ford is a bandit, but not an asshole. He does what he did out of sympathy for Heflin. For me it works very well.
I also like the ending of Red River which is for me more interesting as just the usual "bad guy gets killed ending".

And even if I would think the ending is bad, it would not destroy the whole film for me, cause it has a lot of other qualities.

My problem is that the turn in Wade "I don't want to owe you anything" is not quite hammered home enough in the original. If you don't catch it you say WTF? when he jumps on the train.

We are talking about a trend in 40's-50's 60's Westerns where it was emphasized that a man's character was judged by his WORD, we were hit over the head with this in countless Westerns, (never mind that in the mean time we were historically  F'n the Natives over and over again in countless treaty violations, lol, but is was always the "other" guy) in John Wayne Westerns and culminating in Peckinpah's "Ride The High Country" and "The Wild Bunch". This was again emphasized here by that "I don't want to OWE you anything" line and the subsequent actions by Wade to prove it, that he was a man of his WORD, in nowadays culture it's quaint and almost seems naive.  

The whole trek to the station would have been more believable if it had been handled like it was in "Last Train From Gun Hill" in that film Kirk Douglas has a sawed off shotgun under the chin of Earl Holliman the whole way to the train. No one dared shoot at Douglas for fear of blowing Holliman's head off. Its done poorly in 3:10.

Whats great about 3:10 is its stark cinematography, the stage robbery sequence, and the saloon sequence with eye opening sexual encounter between Ford & Felicia Farr, we ALL know what they were doing in the back room and it was refreshing to NOT have an obligatory tacked on love story, Wades loves her and leaves her, that was REFRESHING, after all the romantic crappola Hollywood usually fed us.  It seemed quite realistic. I look at this film as a sort of bridge Western from the conventions of the 40's & 50's to the grittier films of the 60's and 70's.

Remember this was a short 11 page story by Elmore Leonard that took place entirely in the hotel room between a sheriff and Wade, everything else, Evans, his wife his kids, etc., etc., good and bad was added by the screenwriters

Like I think DJ mentioned once, Evans should have just held Wade in the station to wait for the train, eliminating the march from the hotel altogether.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:24:46 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2011, 06:50:24 AM »

I've always had a problem with the ending in this film, too. After all the build-up it's a complete cop-out. That said, I do like the rest of the film a lot.

Just my opinion but I thought the ending in the 2007 version was much worse than the 1957 original.

Yes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM