Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:02:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Johnny Oro (1966)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Johnny Oro (1966)  (Read 5958 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2005, 12:38:05 PM »

Recorded yesterday from TV. I don't want to write a review of it and leave the task gladly to Marco Leone, when he'll find an english version of the movie.
I did see this movie at the time of its release (or a little later)  in an open air backyard of a church adapted to theatre in summer (we call this kind of seasonal theatre "arena"). I cared about this movie for two reasons. One is personal and I won't go into it. The other is trhat I was struck by the fact  (I was a kid then, folks!) that the lyrics to the main title tune were filled with the word "oro" of the original title of the movie ("Johnny Oro"). Can't remember whether I found this (already then) an awkward procedure or I was struck by the fact that they were sung in italian. Anyway, I think that the music of the movie (by Carlo Savina) is not that bad, interesting harmonically in places (though the arrangements are pre-Morricone style)  and actually I find myself singing the title tune. As I can't decide whether I do it because the title tune is very bad or very good,  I'm soliciting Banjo's opinion on the matter, whenever he will be able to do it.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 01:09:07 PM »

I often find myself humming the title song from A Pistol for Ringo but I can't understand most of the lyrics even though the singer is singing in English!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 02:07:04 PM »

I suspect Marco has got his version from the same source as me - TCM Channel on Sky Digital-i also taped another obscure SW off the same channel, Son of a Gunfighter.
I haven't watched Ringo & His Golden Pistol for quite some while but i seem to remember the music being half-decent including as you say Titoli the original title track Johnny Oro.I enjoyed Mark Damon as Ringo together with his obsession for all things gold!!
But there were greater things to follow from Corbucci!!!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 03:14:19 PM »

I enjoyed Mark Damon as Ringo together with his obsession for all things gold!!

Well, Goldfinger was recent stuff then. Unfortunately (probably due to a lack of funds) the premise dies there and it is not developed  at all and the movie didn't impress me then as now, being just an amass of clichés. But, as you well know, I'm not sold on Corbucci.
I would like  to point though at something that had escaped my attention almost 40 years ago: the cold blooded murder of the choirboy. Well before that of the kid by Frank!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 01:28:26 AM »

After directing the rather tame Minnesota Clay, Sergio Corbucci's next western project was a, surprisingly, violent entry to the italian western genre and also a semi-homage to Richard Boone's "Palladin". Johnny Oro stars Mark Damon as the over-confident, smart mouthed, bounty hunting anti-hero of the film's title.

Johnny Oro, famous bounty hunter who carries a golden pistol and spurs, guns down notorious outlaw Sancho Perez for some reward money. Juanito Perez, Sancho's seemingly innocent little brother, wants to avenge his sibling's death and hires an entire tribe of cut throat Apaches to track down Oro and kill him. Unfortunatly for Oro, after a little mishap with some explosives, he has been incarcerated by the Sheriff of the border town of Coldstone. So now the Sheriff and a few townsfolks must defend the jailhouse (holding Oro) against the rampaging red skins.

This is certainly an enjoyable film. Miles ahead of Corbucci's first western effort Minnesota Clay (significant for preceding Leone's "Fistful of Dollars" by a few months). The Corbucci touch is not quite there yet but we see more than just a few hints of it here. For one, the violence. Women and children are brutally murdered on-screen, corpses are used as shields against bullets and outlaws are blown to bits. This is unusual for a spaghetti western made so early in the game. You can expect this kind of stuff after the release of the monumental Django (Corbucci's next picture) but it's difficult to find such outlandish violence before it. The light heartedness of the picture makes the violence even more unsettling, much like in Pistol for Ringo and the MacGregor films.

Damon plays Johnny as a cocky smart ass whose quick on the draw and only interest is gold. This is similar to his character in Johnny Yuma (his attitude not his motives), a spaghetti western that was made the same year. He does fine in this film. Though I think his hero characters are too light. He plays a much better villian (see Kill and Pray). 

I have a few gripes. The segment between Oro getting captured and the Apaches finally arriving to kill him can get a bit draggy in places. Also there is a saloon whore (Oro's main squeeze) that has a singing segment. Saloon whores in westerns breaking into song is always a minus for me. It's pointless and it slows down the film.

Before the film's release, the title of Johnny Oro was changed to "Ringo and his golden Pistol" to capitilize on the major success of the two "Ringo" movies (both directed by Duccio Tessari and both starring Giuliano Gemma). In the english dub Oro's character is referred to as "Johnny Ringo". To make matters even more confusing the italian language theme song retains the character's original name during production (Johnny Oro) but this is not so in the english language theme song.

The music, composed by Carlo Savina, is very nice. The theme song harks back to a Gene Autry type cowboy tune while the instrumental tracks are full of bells and whistles. 

Recommended for newbies and hard-core fans alike.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 12:44:27 PM »

Arizona Colts/b] review:-

JOHNNY ORO- 1966-Sergio Corbucci violence-laden Italo Oater shot after DJANGO but released first. Here, Hollywood heartthrob Mark Damon plays a black clad bounty hunter with a golden gun. A Mexican bandit swears revenge on Oro for gunning his brother down on his wedding day no less. The brother sides with Apaches(?) and massacre anyone that gets in their way to get at Oro. The finale is very well done with lots of explosions and theirs more of a mean streak here than in DJANGO. Women and children are gunned down, dead bodies are used as shields as they’re ripped apart by gunfire and one bloody scene where a guy has a hatchet buried into his skull. Damon plays Oro with much panache and a swaggering disposition that is most fun to watch. Lots of entertainment value found here.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »

I foundthis movie quite enjoyable, but I think it has a few significant flaws. A couple of them are: 1) The Apache/Mexicans attack to the village seems to be very disproportionate when we consider there are only three people shooting against them, all from the same spot (the jail); and 2) Johnny Ringo (Oro) seems completely untouched when Juanito Perez tells him that he has killed Margie, and he displays no emotions whatsoever when he is about to leave town after having killed Juanito (he is even witty). On the other hand, the multiple explosions at the end are quite well made, and I liked the acting in general. The musical score has its good moments, but I don't think it is anything exceptional.

Not bad for a pre-Django Corbucci film.

6.5/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »

Blu-ray a-comin': http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13825

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM