Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 04:39:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "The Spaghetti West" on IFC this month
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Spaghetti West" on IFC this month  (Read 16886 times)
Beebs
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005, 08:46:29 AM »

Just saw  The Spaghetti West. I have never seen the other SWs other than the dollars trilogy, Nobody, Death rides a Horse and OUTIW. The others shown on the documentary were very political and gruesome. Nothing like the Leone Movies. The ear eating scene and the digging for golden bullets in the man's chest were rather disgusting. I never knew of these other Spaghettis. I think I'll stick with Fonda, van Cleef and Eastwood movies

skeleton king
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 09:10:28 AM »

it would be great to see it. Grin

Christopher
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 01:41:22 PM »

I managed to tape The Great Silence, so I'll be watching that sometime soon.

The ear eating scene and the digging for golden bullets in the man's chest were rather disgusting. I never knew of these other Spaghettis.
I saw only a few minutes here and there of The Spaghetti West documentary, since I'd heard they told a little too much information about some of the movies, The Great Silence in particular. I saw where they talked about Django Kill (where they dug for golden bullets), and I have to say I really want to see that movie. Grin The ear scene in Django really isn't all that bad. Nasty, yeah, but I like the violent nature of the movie.

Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 04:11:47 AM »

Does anyone know if they're showing that documentary again at all?

I somehow missed it.   Cry

HEX
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 10:14:57 AM »

if u have a bunch of blue underground and anchor bay dvds of spaghettis u didnt miss much. most of the footage was from the dvds.

Beebs
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 11:52:57 AM »

I managed to tape The Great Silence, so I'll be watching that sometime soon.
I saw only a few minutes here and there of The Spaghetti West documentary, since I'd heard they told a little too much information about some of the movies, The Great Silence in particular. I saw where they talked about Django Kill (where they dug for golden bullets), and I have to say I really want to see that movie. Grin The ear scene in Django really isn't all that bad. Nasty, yeah, but I like the violent nature of the movie.

Im usually pretty tolerable but for some reason that really got to me.

Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2005, 09:27:48 PM »

...the one bit some viewers singled out as a highlight that's *not* on the BU discs so far as I know is a short piece of home-movie from Day of Anger, with LVC and Gemma goofing off.

Shocked Wow!!! Dang, but I'd like to see that!!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 06:58:10 PM »

hola amigos - well, you are a lucky bunch! here in UK we NEVER get this sort of cool programme! if anyone knows if this or any other similar documentary is shown on Brit TV, keep us posted please! Cool
you guys got the ITV4 nightly showings of Spaghetti westerns during the winter months. we dont get that over here. We just get a lousy doc.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 07:41:42 PM »

you guys got the ITV4 nightly showings of Spaghetti westerns during the winter months. we dont get that over here. We just get a lousy doc.

I wish I had satellite tv.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 05:44:44 AM »

me too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »

Watched this show today. A brief but enjoyable exploration of the genre, interviewing a lot of the genre's movers and shakers (Sergio Sollima, Franco Nero, Tomas Milian, Damiano Damiani) and champions (Frayling, Cox, Hughes). Archive interviews of Clint, Morricone and Sergio Corbucci also cropped up. I most enjoyed the different filmmakers' takes on the phrase "spaghetti western."

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrPBB6jAZIU

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 02:31:43 AM »

I just saw this now for the first time.

A few comments: I've only seen about 5 non-Leone spags. But it's good to see that this documentary actually truly focuses on the SW as a whole, not just Leone. And there are archival interviews with just so many major characters in SW history - whether the filmmakers or the actors (one exception: nothing here from Eli Wallach, who acted in a number of SW's besides GBU).

However, there is a major, major flaw in that it hardly mentions a word about GBU. GBU is by far and away the most legendary, most remembered, most admired SW. Personally, as great as GBU is, I like FAFDM even more. But it's indisputable that GBU is the most famous. Many people who aren't even big cineastes, who rarely watch "old" movies, who have never seen another SW or even heard the term, have seen GBU. To have hardly a mention of GBU and FAFDM (and DYS) is unforgivable.

Otherwise, this is a pretty enjoyable watch.

By the way, the interview footage of Eastwood, I assume is on the set of Unforgiven. In it, he repeats the myth that the Hays Code did not allow shooter and victim to be in same frame. As we've established http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7532.msg115131#msg115131  that wasn't true if it was, it certainly wasn't a firm rule that was always followed.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:33:58 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM