Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:41:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Un uomo, un cavallo, una pistola aka The Stranger Returns (1967)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Un uomo, un cavallo, una pistola aka The Stranger Returns (1967)  (Read 10351 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 05:45:45 PM »

What made me wonder what the heck was I watching  was actually the protagonist. Here you have a supposedly thirtyish man looking like he's running asthmatically toward 60. He's having costant trouble with the sheet he wears poncho fashion without really coming to terms with it. He's made the butt of all jokes by the bad ones who inflict on him the worst punishments. And still  you end up liking this jinxy character. And also the movie,except for the too strtched final sequence. Most people seem to make much of Stelvio Cipriani score. I don't, too derivative.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 05:36:52 PM »

Perhaps the highlight of the film though is Cipriani's score which, as mentioned earlier, owes more than a passing nod to Ennio, but aptly captures the mood and feeling as the action unfurls. It's one of those soundtracks that could make even a bad film worth watching.
I finally caught up with Stranger Returns today and Marco's review is spot on!
One thing about Cipriani's score-did the main theme sound like a rehash to you Marco,of his earlier Ugly Ones(1966) score?
Theres also a definate touch of the They Died With Their Boots On(you know-the GarryOwen tune!) with the cavalry theme too!

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 08:03:27 PM »

I saw the two Stranger films in the late 1960s (at a drive-in, never played real theaters here); I remember Stranger Returns as being significantly better, and its music, haven't seen since.  Cheesy name though: Tony Anthony.

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 10:38:22 AM »

Well, like FC pointed out in the original's thread, I liked the sequel a lot more than the first one, pretty much all around.  A horse called "Pussy," the pink umbrella shading Anthony, shooting through his legs to pick the bandits off, pretending to be Inspector Ross, and the final explosion with the Preacher's fireworks were all nice touches. 

The bad guys were pretty good, especially their leader, El Plein, who can't miss a shot with his rifle.  Although I guess I've seen enough spaghettis now, the second "Good Jim" shows up I knew he was working with the bandits.  Good doublecrosses all around, and the ending showdown with the four-barrelled shotgun was excellent. 

I liked Tony Anthony a lot more in this one too, although he takes some getting used to as an anti-hero as opposed to Eastwood or LVC.  The second one was good enough though I'll look forward to seeing the other Stranger movies and Blindman.  Much better than the original, I go 7.5/10. Afro

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 04:33:10 PM »

I have it recorded also haven't watched it yet though. Looking forward to it, I remember seeing this now advertized on Times Square in the 1960's especially the posters with the parisol, this had a release for sure.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 11:16:31 PM »

ending showdown with the four-barrelled shotgun was excellent. 

To be honest I think the climax of the first bests this one's.
TSR's climax is stretched out for too long.
And that scene with Raf Baldessarre taking a break from hunting the Stranger to have a bite to eat is ridiculous.

Glad you liked it Tim.
Check out the third installment as it is the best of the four part series as well as one of the best the genre has to offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjAZHewr4B8

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 12:05:13 AM »

And that scene with Raf Baldessarre taking a break from hunting the Stranger to have a bite to eat is ridiculous.

I had that thougt too watching the eating scene.  The whole scene was painful to watch from Baldessarre entering the room and setting his pistol down to the awkwardness that ensues once Anthony enters.  And I did like the shotgun showdown in the original too.  The coffin trick made me like this one a little more. Afro

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 11:13:27 AM »

I liked this movie much more than the original Stranger in Town. Better music, better acting and better plot. I particularly liked Dan Vadis playing the role of the mean villian En Plein, who by the way reminds me a lot of Warren Oates in Barquero (except that Barquero was made 3 years later). Marco Guglielmi adds a humorous touch in his role as the preacher.

The one thing I did not understand is how could the two stagecoaches be mistaken one with the other despite looking alike. Since gold is much, much heavier than wood, I can imagine the horses will not be able to pull one of them so easily, and the tracks in the mud or soil would have been much deeper.

Little details aside, an OK, enjoyable SW.

6.5/10

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM