Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:07:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Morricone soundtracks
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morricone soundtracks  (Read 8206 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2005, 07:28:49 PM »

I've heard some samples of Morricone music from other movies and, to my taste, I haven't found much that matches what he had done in Leone's movies. 1900 was OKAY, but nothing to write home about. By the way, wasn't Liebestraum by Liszt playing in a scene? I thought that was a nice touch.

Are there any soundtracks he has done that you would say could match OUATIA's style, mood and overall catchiness? As interesting as his western ones are I'd like to broaden my horizons with non-western ones. I think maybe it's burnout on his western soundtracks that I'm experiencing. Spanish guitar, electric guitars, etc. I expect them. Though I loved the music for the chase at the end of the The Big Gundown I felt in many instances he didn't go "All the way" in a "Ecstasy of Gold/The Trio" kind of way with the rest of the soundtrack. I heard that sort of "Western fanfare" type music and want more Cool

What would you say is his greatest Italian-style music? Mandolins, etc.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 07:30:50 PM by Poggle » Logged
shango
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 08:37:41 PM »

I am more familiar with his western soundtracks myself.But I do have 3 of his Giallo soundtracks that I personally enjoy.They are Four flies on grey velvet & Cat o nine tails,Got some cool Jazz/funk 70's style on there if you like that kind of thing and also I have short night of the glass dolls that is for the most part somber and kind of a let down.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 06:10:08 PM »

His soundtrack for CINEMA PARADISO is unashamedly shmaltzy and eagre to please in so many places. BUT! It really works.

I don't watch this film that often (and went through a brief phase of downright hatred for it), as I feel it's absurdly manipulative, but.. I do end up blubbing like a baby when I screen it, and a lot of that is thanks to Ennio.

File under "guilty pleasure"...

buff64
Chicken Thief

you brought two too many

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 07:10:21 PM »

i like the music of the MISSION.great soundtrack.
 I've enjoyed lately Morricone's work with YO-YO-MA.
 Very good album.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 09:33:43 AM »

I've said this already in another topic, but I don't mind repeating it. Morricone is the greatest arranger (with the possible exception of Nelson Riddle) of pop music I know. His arrangements of neapolitan songs (not the ones made in the late '50's for Mario Lanza but those of the early '60's for Miranda Martino) can compare easily with his soundtracks. He also did a lot of other arrangements which remain, to this date, unsurpassed in Italy (even though I would like to make some exceptions for those of Detto Mariano both for Battisti and Celentano).
As Stanley Kubrick is reported to have said to Leone, M. didn't do anything in cinema as good as he did for his former school pal. But the music for other westerns (the mercenary, f.e) is all the way notable. I like also the theme for Indagine, Il clan dei siciliani and something more. but the good things he did, he did in westerns. I think Provvidenza theme has nothing to envy to the best of his production with a few exceptions.

Bill Carson
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 05:14:18 PM »

an interesting MORRICONE work is the soundtrack to John Carpenter's THE THING - it's different to his other scores and I personally think it's very similar to Carpenter's own creepy synth-scores.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 06:13:27 PM »

Morricone is to music what Frazetta is to art.  Both are unique and easily recognizable when either seen or heard.

Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:14:53 PM »

It's funny that John Carpenter's The Thing soundtrack won a Razzie that year for worst soundtrack of the year.  I personally love the soundtrack, and yes, I think it mimics Carpenter's errie synthisised tunes. (Carpenter is a talent).  I also like DePalma's The Untouchables soundtrack by Morricone.  But still, nothing compares to, IMO, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly title track.  No movie tune in history is more engrained in the brain of pop culture than that one.  It's in commercials, TV shows, other movies, etc.

It's interesting if you listen to some of the Special Features on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly DVD it talks about how Morricone got the "Wha Eee Wha Eee Ayyya" sound from.  From a coyotes howl.  Leone knowing this put in a couple of howls of coyotes in the opening scene in GBU and right after the opening credits and as they are closing in on Tuco you can hear the coyotes howling, and if your listening for it, you can hear the resemblence in the coyotes howling and Morricone's title track...  

"We all have to die.  It's just a question of when..."  -Hombre
Tim
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 08:04:48 PM »

buff already said it, but The Mission is a soundtrack well worth picking up.  I've always liked Morricone's soundtrack for The Untouchables as well.  I love the title sequence as the the titles roll across the screen with Morricone's score blaring.  Good movie besides though with some good performances by Costner and Connery.

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 11:22:52 AM »

I happen to love the score he did for ORCA. Watching it is a strange experience because the music is ten times better than the film. Really, that movie sucks. I thought it was awesome when I was ten years old. When the soundtrack kicks in, for a split second you start to feel the movie. Then you realize you're being manipulated by Morricone, and it all falls apart.

Am I the only one who really likes this one? Am I crazy? I drove around for days listening to it non-stop. It got me in character. I'd tell people, "I was that whale's drunk driver."

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 04:23:20 PM »

I'm listening to the swingin', ultra-cool "Speakeasy" track from OUATIA right now after bawling my eyes out listening to "Deborah's Theme".  Morricone is simply a f-ing genius.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 05:22:05 PM »

I second the notion that Morricone's best work was for SWs. Besides the ones for SL's films (and I include My Name is Nobody here), the soundtracks that really make we want to stand up and salute are those for The Mercenary, Face to Face, and especially Companeros. The main title theme for Companeros is equal, IMHO, with the title theme for GBU.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Tim
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 08:23:41 PM »

jerkface( i feel a little funny saying that), i'm a big fan of morricone's score for orca.  The beginning with the shots of the two whales jumping out of the water superimposed against that sunset shot are amazing.  And the movie is pretty horrible, although Richard Harris is always cool.

When the woman is singing, it sounds similar to Jill's Theme from OUATITW.  Not identical but similar enough that you know its a Morricone score.

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 02:38:48 PM »

jerkface( i feel a little funny saying that), i'm a big fan of morricone's score for orca.  The beginning with the shots of the two whales jumping out of the water superimposed against that sunset shot are amazing.  And the movie is pretty horrible, although Richard Harris is always cool.

When the woman is singing, it sounds similar to Jill's Theme from OUATITW.  Not identical but similar enough that you know its a Morricone score.

Please, call me jerkface.

Richard Harris IS always cool. It's amazing to me how many elements of ORCA are good, and yet it adds up to nothing. Bad script I guess. It's not even bad enough to be enjoyable. However, I maintain that Morricone's score is great. It's quite different from his western scores, but it's obviously still him.

What's this talk of Morricone getting a Razzie for THE THING. What a bunch of utter horseshit. It's definitely not his best work, but it's not by any means bad either. It's especially galling in light of him getting shafted out of other awards. To hell with all of these awards ceremonies. They mean nothing.

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
Franks Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 10:00:09 PM »

I personally love the scores for
The Sicilian Clan
Chai Mai
What Ever Happened to Solange
White Dog
Macine Gun McCain

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"