Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:10:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Notes for Harmonica theme
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Notes for Harmonica theme  (Read 5604 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 03:16:35 PM »

Hope nobody around the boards has spoiled the ending and plot. It's best to be a surprise. 
This is like saying, Don't tell me the plot of Hamlet, I want it to be a surprise. This isn't The Sixth Sense we're talking about here. This is high art. It deals not with the shock of surprise, but with the shock of recognition.

Anyway, if you've already seen half a dozen Westerns or more, you already know the plot.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 03:25:56 PM »

This is like saying, Don't tell me the plot of Hamlet, I want it to be a surprise. This isn't The Sixth Sense we're talking about here. This is high art. It deals not with the shock of surprise, but with the shock of recognition.

Anyway, if you've already seen half a dozen Westerns or more, you already know the plot.

Yes but the surprises are great.  Wink

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 02:36:39 PM »

Marmota, you 'somehow lower' the note by bending it.  The only way I can explain without showing is that when drawing on the note, you change the size of your mouth cavity.  Practice by making the sharp intake of breath noise you make if you (for instance) trap your fingers prior to swearing.  Then without pausing lower the note of the sharp intake of breath. You'll feel your jaw drop a little.  Then stick the harmonica in your mouth and repeat the same action.  It'll take a little time to learn as you'll have to develop the muscles, but only a few days.  The technique is used to great effect in blues harmonica.  Suggested listening; Little Walter,  Sonny Boy Williamson (both of them, there was two!) and Noah Lewis (Cannons Jug Stompers)

Thanks for the explanation. I think it's described in similar way in that book, but I'm not able to translate it in such detailled way. Yes, I only have to practice...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 02:43:23 PM »

Of course it's not like "If you tell me the plot you ruin the whole thing"!
But I'm not talking only about plot, you know, though Peacemaker was. What's the ratio of plot to style and such things discussed on this board? I think people here also care about the way it's filmed, right? That's what I want to be (at least a bit) a surprise for me.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM