Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:10:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  My trip to monument Valley and the Arch
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My trip to monument Valley and the Arch  (Read 16437 times)
Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 06:48:21 AM »

Of course I did. Took a small corner of a brick and took 2 bricks that were lying near the arch, from the collapsed central part. Took a piece of wood from a beam, a rusted nail, a piece of cement and finally, took some sand where young harmonica was standing in the middle. Don't worry, I didn't come all the way from Montreal for nothing Cheesy I also noticed that corners of many bricks were missing, not too much left!!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 06:52:00 AM by Denys » Logged
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 10:43:53 AM »

I forgot to mention that I did something "unique" when I was there. I brought my laptop, the DVD of OUATITW, sat in indian position in front of the arch, between the 2 cement tracks and played the flashback sequence on my laptop. Watching this and beeing right there in front was really something, goosebumps all over my spine!!
Thanks Denys for sharing: excellent shots; wish I could go there, but living in Italy, for me it's not just around the corner..
I'm trying to get in touch with Claudio Mancini (the man in your avatar..!). He lives in Rome and if I can get ahold of him, will try to interview him and get as much info as possible on the arch scene...Cross your fingers..

Denys
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 11:06:33 AM »

Leonardo, I took something like 60 or 70 pics just for this arch. You're right, we don't have much infos about the hanging scene, like pics of the preparation, behind the scene pics etc.. Since I was a kid, I often dream that I am there, at the shooting, and I am there with everybody, getting ready to shoot this scene. If you can get in touch with Claudio, that would be very interesting to see what he has to tell us about this piece of cinema history. Thanks to you.

Franks Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 12:16:02 AM »

Hola Denys,

I think I might retire someday in Monument Valley and build a house in eye distance of the arc.
I felt  that is where I belong when I was out there.

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
Denys
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 06:43:11 PM »

Hola Denys,

I think I might retire someday in Monument Valley and build a house in eye distance of the arc.
I felt  that is where I belong when I was out there.

I felt the same too. I was there only for a week, not only for monument valley but also for the grand canyon, but I was very sad to leave this place. I felt kind of unfinish business

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 09:57:43 PM »

Shocked WOW! That is great amazing!

Hubert
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 02:10:31 AM »

Magnificent pictures. A pity only the rudimentary shape of the arch is left, but I suppose we should be thankful for ANY remains, seeing as the place is so obviously visited by souvenir hunters.

This may have been discussed before, but from the second disk in the dvd set I learned that the Mc Bain farm is a tourist attraction nowadays. Any idea where it is located? Much obliged!

"It's almost like holding a gun . . .  Only much more powerful."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 10:40:58 AM »

Of course I did. Took a small corner of a brick and took 2 bricks that were lying near the arch, from the collapsed central part. Took a piece of wood from a beam, a rusted nail, a piece of cement and finally, took some sand where young harmonica was standing in the middle. Don't worry, I didn't come all the way from Montreal for nothing Cheesy I also noticed that corners of many bricks were missing, not too much left!!

well if everybody did that there wouldnt be any landmark for us to see when we get there eh? Angry

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 10:52:14 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 12:21:59 PM »

I hope to see the stumps one day.   Grin

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 12:26:26 PM »

I was just at the arch yesterday on my way back to Arizona, looks just like in others' previously attached photos.   I also took three fallen "bricks" and some wood from the ground, very obvious that those were originally from the arch itself, not the surrounding area, and didn't detract from any future visits there for anyone.  It was great, played the music nice and loud, took some photos.  We came from the Utah side on our way back to Arizona; actually the dirt road was in real good condition, didn't see any other use for the road than to get to the arch.  Click on http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2334519/1 and go to the last photo to see me at the arch.  Sorry, I don't know otherwise how to add a photo here.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 12:39:03 PM »

I will add that a few months ago wife went on a four-day Monument Valley horseback ride.  She asked Indian guide Lonnie about the arch, and he had been there (film with Charles Bronson, right?), said his cousin was in Once/West as a boy.  Sounds like he may have been the young Harmonica.  By the way, at Goulding's museum and trading post at Monument Valley, all the film listings and books do not even include Once/West as being filmed (partially) there.

Denys
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 01:17:44 PM »

All the movies mentioned at Goulding's were all american directors, that's what I noticed then. Only a page on the wall of the museum, cut from a 1969 newspaper mentioned a line or two about Fonda and the upcoming movie OUATITW, but nothing else. Quite strange for one of the best western ever.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 01:20:18 PM »

I was just at the arch yesterday on my way back to Arizona, looks just like in others' previously attached photos.   I also took three fallen "bricks" and some wood from the ground, very obvious that those were originally from the arch itself, not the surrounding area, and didn't detract from any future visits there for anyone. 

of course not. but after more visitors  start stealing from the arch (which is illegal mind you) then there wont be anything left in a few years.

I hate to sound like a prude but I just have a thing about others not able to enjoy something because of somebody elses selfishness. I dont give a crap if its illegal or not. I just care for those others that have yet to enjoy the arch.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »

I can live with the fact of taking three fallen pieces of brick from the ground as being less destructive than the empty and broken beer bottles and cans discarded there.  I didn't have the resources to clean all those up, and don't know enough about building to actually restore the arch.  I can assure you that I didn't tear down any arch, there are brick pieces from it all over the ground.  One could say that I was helping clean up the place.

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 09:49:56 PM »

how do you attach photos? I went horseback riding in  Monument Valley last summer and shot about 5 rolls of film-
our Navajo guide, Charlie  was great.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM