Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:39:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Did James do it or not?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Did James Woods jump into the garbage truck at the end of Once Upon a Time in America?
Yes   -34 (60.7%)
No   -9 (16.1%)
I really do not know   -13 (23.2%)
Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Did James do it or not?  (Read 28401 times)
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2002, 06:00:38 AM »

This is a question that has defied scholarship for decades.  Smiley What is your opinion of this?

Beejerama
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 05:36:45 AM »

Upon careful viewing, notice Wood's feet running alongside the truck.  (As he steps up the pace it appears he jumps onto the far side of the truck.)  

Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 06:55:44 AM »

According to Christopher Frayling's Leone autobiography James Woods has overrun his contract, so a standin was used for that scene, not sure who played Woods' part. So James Woods didn't climb on the truck.

As far as the story goes I believe the senator does jump in the truck.

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2002, 01:43:07 PM »

Woods' character certainly, definitely, jumped into the garbage truck, watch it again a few times, absolutely happened.  Also, he arranged for that truck to be there (no regular pickups at night) in case Noodles couldn't go through with it.

Renny
Chicken Thief

"Are you talking to me?"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2002, 02:39:15 PM »

You are very sharp in your analyzing. Good remark Wink

"Your Youngest And Strongest Will Fall By The Sword"
TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 03:38:20 AM »

Just like Mr. Williams I can't say if Senator Bailey jumps or not on the truck. And, just like Mr. Williams, I really don't care. I would have cared for Maximilian Bercovicz, but not for the Senator... so when the truck keeps moving and passes by, if the Senator's inside it, well that was his choice, but if he's not inside... it's the same. I believe Mr. Williams is taking his revenge, and he wants it full.

Bye and bye

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 12:15:17 PM »

There's no visual proove of Max's suicide. And Sergio Leone plays with the lack of visual proove.

But I agree that Max personality and the tragedy of the film leads to the suicide end.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2003, 09:55:01 AM »

So you think there's no visual proof of James Woods jumping into the truck.OK,so you seem to be of different opinion with Beejerama and Cusser.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2003, 11:20:44 AM »

Yes, but I have an extremely bad vhs copy of the movie.

I'm not really able to confirm all the details described by our friends up here.

Anyway, it's maybe true that Woods wasn't able any more for the final scene, but I think Leone found a good solution by "suggesting" to us the suicide instead of "showing" it to us.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2003, 12:00:57 PM »

This is a question that has defied scholarship for decades.  Smiley What is your opinion of this?

According to the master (Sergio Leone himslef), the important point is not to know if max did it or not. What is important is that a man who looks like max did it, and FOR NOODLES, this man is Max. For Noodles.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2003, 05:55:11 AM »

[An interview in May 1984, the question was: is James Wood character representing Jimmy Hoffa ? and Sergio answered: Yes he is, you know that Jimmy Hoffa suddenly vanished and there was a garbage-truck
near Jimmmy House during few days before   [even our youngest friends well know Jimmy Hoffa who was the teamster mafioso syndicate boss )

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2003, 08:15:04 AM »

I believe he does jump into the truck.Somebody runs alongside the truck,and if it isn,t Max then who is it supposed to be?

BDR529
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 03:30:08 AM »

Obviously it's pointless to debate whether he jumped in the truck; it's symbolism and whatnot after all.  I would just like to say that jumping in a freakin' garbage truck with those stomach-churning threshers seems like one of the WORST methods of suicide I can imagine.  Why the hell didn't he just use the gun on himself?

In fact, I'd guess the scene is intentionally surreal and extreme (and of course ambiguous).  The 60s scenes start of dreamy and hazy, and only get more so as they go on, unlike the 10s and 30s scenes.  I would personally lean toward the interpretation that the 60s scenes are an opium dream of Noodles', but, of course, Leone obviously wanted the film to be open to ANY interpretation, so I'm not saying I'm RIGHT...

guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2003, 05:43:29 AM »

Sergio himself once reminded one interviewer how Hoffa had disappeared like that, and that Max / the Senator was meant to portray Hoffa...
Besides, for what it's worth, even before knowing all this stuff about Max / Hoffa, many years ago while watching that scene for the very first time I thought I recognised the Senator jumping into that truck; and now I feel like Sergio wanted Noodles / the audience to believe the same...

« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 06:45:06 AM by guybrush » Logged

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“What have you done all this time?”
“Going to bed early.”
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2003, 06:24:29 AM »

Od,I didn't know about Leone's Hoffa comment.Very interesting...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM