Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:03:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  And for a Roof a Sky Full of Stars aka ...e per tetto un cielo di stelle (1968)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: And for a Roof a Sky Full of Stars aka ...e per tetto un cielo di stelle (1968)  (Read 14194 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 08:23:14 AM »

They are pretty complimentary about Johnny Yuma on IMDB.com too,i think Damons great and i haven't been put off!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 04:53:57 AM »

Three DVD's arrived yesterday and having first watched the extended version of They Call Me Trinity,I put on  the firsrt half hour of And For A Roof A Sky Full of Stars late last night and as Marco says the opening scene is very affecting and so far the Morricone music is brilliant.I see what Marco means about the clever guy/stupid guy comparison with the Providence movie but its nowhere near as weird/madcap,at least so far!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 10:49:54 AM »

How long is the Trinity? Does it have the italian language?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 10:48:36 AM »

Titoli,the total running time is 109 minutes which i am informed is 6 minutes longer than any other available DVD but unfortunately there is no Italian language!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 12:10:03 PM »

The italian theatre release was 128' (which I rememebered vaguely being the duration of the movie as I saw it at the time of release) which, allowing for the transcoding, gives roughly a 123'  for vhs and tv releases. the longer versions released in Italy were 113' long.

I take these informations from here:

http://www.budterence.tk/dvdtagliaticontrinita.php

where it says that the original version can't be found (I don't believe it for a minute). How are things abroad?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 01:56:44 PM »

Interesting i wonder if mine is the longest available with English dubbing-the seller claims it to be uncut?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 06:56:16 AM »

Having now watched And For A roof A Skyful of Stars in its entirity i'd say that Marco's initial review is pretty much spot on and for me Morricones fantastically haunting soundtrack lifts the movie up from a 65% rating  to 75%.I'm reminded of My Name Is Nobody in that this movie very much has its feet stuck in two camps,slapstick comedy and serious action western and where it struggles to deliver convincingly in the first category it more than makes up for it in the latter and the film picks up alot in the second half with a great shootout finale.
Of particular note is Anthony Dawson(British star of the early Bond films who also played Four Aces Cavanaugh in Petroni's other great Death Rides A Horse) as the menacingly shifty senior Pratt towards the end of the film.
All in all very satisfied with this purchase!!!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 10:30:48 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it Banjo.  As well as the quality of the film, I also remember having the "hots" for the actress in it  Cheesy

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 10:58:01 AM »

Oh yeau shudda mentioned that!!!How come all these sw widows,(Jill McBain,the one in  Big Gundown)are so goddam tasty?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 03:41:21 PM »

Well, I tell you: I prefer the mermaid...
No, I think, for a start, that this is one of the best titles in the history of the movies: almost like a verse by Leopardi (from which it is inspired, sure). I am sure having it seen it, I always liked the title, that I can say for sure: it was haunting. If I did, I must admit I didn't remember a iota of the whole shebang. Which is good as I could taste the whole film at a sitting without ever getting bored, on the contrary being really taken up by it and always surprised by the brilliance of some solution. Which also amazed me seeing who one of the screenplayers was, i.e. one of the author of the worst pseudo-comedies of the 70's.
Gemma was impeccable. You know I can't stand him, but here he was perfect, always the right expression, a perfect balance between serious and comedic. Them other ones are very good, Adorf of course being first. This goes easily in my top 20 non Leone.

Morricone's music: where can I buy it?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:52:33 PM by titoli » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 03:51:25 PM »

Never mind, here it is:

http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/epertettouncielodistelle.htm

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 04:40:18 PM »

Mario Adorf eh?

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 04:56:44 PM »

I am not a fan of him but here he is perfect. He plays dumb smoothly, it is his actions that qualify him as such, not the usual contrived face expressions like keeping the mouth open or the eyes half-closed.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 05:07:28 PM »

Here's the link to the italian SWdb:

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/tetto_cielo.htm

What do you think of the soundtrack's original cover?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2006, 05:11:03 PM »

I am not a fan of him but here he is perfect. He plays dumb smoothly, it is his actions that qualify him as such, not the usual contrived face expressions like keeping the mouth open or the eyes half-closed.

I only know Adorf from "Major Dundee", but he's in a tie with James Coburn as my favorite character from that film, so that's something for him.  "Any of you damned gringos fire before the signal, I swear to God I'll kill you!" Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM