Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:54:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  And for a Roof a Sky Full of Stars aka ...e per tetto un cielo di stelle (1968)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: And for a Roof a Sky Full of Stars aka ...e per tetto un cielo di stelle (1968)  (Read 13873 times)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2005, 02:23:09 PM »

This weeks viewing was Petroni's "And for a Roof a Sky Full of Stars". Here goes.......

"Ah, such beautiful music!

This film opens with a classic sequence. A stagecoach is attacked by a gang, with all the passengers brutally massacred. Cue Morricone's haunting soundtrack as the camera focuses on the dead, and in particular the face of a blonde girl. A hand brushes the dust from her face,and the camera pans up to show the sorrowful face of Billy (Giuliano Gemma). A truly moving scene, but made particularly so because of Morricone's music.

In a way, this opening sequence is quite out of place with the remainder of the movie. The rest is a light-hearted affair, based around the partnership of Billy and Larry (Mario Adorf). Billy is a smart, world-wise man, whilst Larry is not gifted with the greatest amount of intelligence. This is a perfect foil for Billy, who is a convincing conman and successful in getting the better out of his gullible partner throughout the film (including robbing him of his entire life savings).

The action really hots up when the character of Roger Pratt (Federico Boido) is introduced properly (until this stage, he is purely the face of the gang leader from the opening ambush). He is a brutal man, tracking down Billy on behalf of his father Samual Pratt (Anthony Dawson). The second half of the movie concentrates on this pursuit, with Samual also arriving on the scene and proving to be as barbaric as his short-fused offspring.

Director Giulio Petroni (of "Death Rides a Horse" fame) adopts a similar style to the one used in his later Milian cast "Life is Tough, Right Providence?". It shares its episodic structure, and "clever man/thick man" partnership. Anyone that has read my other reviews will probably have noticed that I do not generally like the more light-hearted westerns. However, I did very much enjoy most of this particular film (the same could not be said of "Providence" incidentally).

Gemma does not look as comfortable with the more comedic role as he does to that of an angel-faced gunman. But he still looks and acts the part - as likable in this film as ever. Adorf meanwhile is suitably oafish (in a role that would have been perfect for Bud Spencer), as Boido and Dawson are villainous.

A particular highlight of the film is a superb scene as Billy cons his way into the house of a beautiful Widow (played by the frankly gorgeous Magda Konopka). Another very beautiful Spaghetti Western actress, part sorrowful and part sexually teasing.

As my review closes, I must dwell further on that opening sequence. The background to this massacre is never fully explained - perhaps those killed have been unfortunate acquaintances of Billy, and suitably punished by the Pratt gang. I don't know. And, in its serious nature, it perhaps feels like a scene that doesn't really belong in this film. But... if you watch it for no other reason, then watch it for this powerful prologue (even close your eyes just to hear Morricone's score). I am also quite confident as you sit through the whole film that you will find other scenes that you will enjoy".

If you have seen it, would be great if you could vote your opinion at http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns/reviews/andforaroof.html

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:15:56 PM »

Is this flick out on DVD?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 04:14:58 AM »

Mine is a Japenese import - but well worth the effort

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 08:12:14 AM »

This is something i want to see. Soundtrack is suppose to be class to boot.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 10:38:38 AM »

The film is good, the soundtrack is EXCELLENT

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 02:00:36 AM »

You've talked me into this one Marco,i've just got to see that opening scene and hear some new Morricone music.I've just ordered the dvd from Ebay together with Those Dirty Dogs-i'm trusting in Shobarys opinion here due to a severe lack of information on this forum although it does have Gianni Garko!

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 04:18:46 AM »

Cheesy 'ere Banjo, I had my eyes on that Dirty Dogs dvd on ebay!!!  hehe.

I really enjoyed "Roof", and the music is great.  It does at times seem like a few different films strung together!  Worth getting though.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 04:53:17 AM »

Unlucky me old son,better luck next time!
By the way Marco have you been at all tempted by Corbucci's What Am I Doing In The Middle Of The Revolution from the same seller.I've been waiting for this to be a "buy now" because it seems to get bid up through the roof every time i moniter it.This movie is the third in Corbucci's Mercenary(is there a review on the way Marco?)/Companeros trilogy and it would be great to find out a bit more about it,anybody?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 06:29:03 AM »

This sounds really good, another to add to the list then  Grin

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 06:53:55 AM »

In Hughes Once Upon A Time In The Italian West in a chapter about Death Rides A Horse he discusses Giulio Petroni's other western output including Tepepa and cites Sky Full Of Stars as"the most interesting of the bunch" and like Marco he pays particular attention to the opening sequence and Morricones music.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 12:53:56 PM »

Unlucky me old son,better luck next time!
By the way Marco have you been at all tempted by Corbucci's What Am I Doing In The Middle Of The Revolution from the same seller.I've been waiting for this to be a "buy now" because it seems to get bid up through the roof every time i moniter it.This movie is the third in Corbucci's Mercenary(is there a review on the way Marco?)/Companeros trilogy and it would be great to find out a bit more about it,anybody?

Funnily enough..... What Am I Doing arrived last week! 

I am three reviews behind, I need to get my butt in gear and scribble write ups for Execution, Mercenary, and for my second viewing of Johnny Yuma.  Been rushing about, and not had a chance to do it (slacker that I am  Grin ).

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 12:57:35 PM »

Looking forward to the review of Johnny Yuma Marco. Give us a hint, is it positive or negative?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 02:16:44 AM »

Funnily enough..... What Am I Doing arrived last week! 

I am three reviews behind, I need to get my butt in gear and scribble write ups for Execution, Mercenary, and for my second viewing of Johnny Yuma.  Been rushing about, and not had a chance to do it (slacker that I am  Grin ).
Damn it,i thought i might be catching up with your collection!!Looking forward to getting your verdict about What Am I Doing...especially as i didn't try and outbid you,hehe!!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 07:43:03 AM »

Looking forward to the review of Johnny Yuma Marco. Give us a hint, is it positive or negative?
I've just had a look at Shobary,Leone_Admirer,he's added Johnny Yuma to his reviews and its the first write up with a negative slant i've seen.He calls it mediocre and thinks Mark Damon is irritating!-its still on my wanted list though!!
I don't understand why he hasn't added the Mercenary on because its been on the pending list for months and would definately be the first 100 percenter he would have for awhile,i think!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 08:10:20 AM »

Well, as you know banjo, I very much enjoyed it. Were not looking at a revolutionary epic, but a down and dirty, good fun Spaghetti. I whole heartily recomend it to you.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM