Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 10:57:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Professionals (1966)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Professionals (1966)  (Read 21387 times)
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 06:20:06 AM »

a few of the late 60's/early 70's Hammer horror films contained extra nude footage on the continental releases because it was thought there was more of a market for titilation than in Britain! 

This wasn't the case, the same versions were released in the UK, but the BBFC (the British censorship board) hacked every single one of them to buggery, reducing both the horror content and the nudity. It's only recently, with some excellent restored DVD's, and the BBFC showing some sense at last, that we are getting to see them in all their glory. Almost 40 years since their inital release!

To judge the warped thinking that goes on at the BBFC, just look at the recent restored THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY DVD release. It's certified as an 18. Why? What's in it that's so shocking these days?

A few weeks ago I saw a low budget horror film called ROOM 36, which contained full frontal male and female nudity, lots of sex (including an utterly gratuitous shot of a woman's anus), gallons of swearing, and some extreme gore, including a bloke having his head almost sawn off (at great length) with a broken bottle.

It was certified a 15.  Shocked

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 06:37:40 AM »

Hi Juan Miranda,i've just been frantically flicking through my "Cult Films of Christopher Lee" by Jonathan Sothcott
to back up what i said about the continental market being catered for differently than the UK.It says about the Tigon production of Curse of The Crimson Altar(1968) "two versions were lensed:the English language version and a more explicit cut for Europe and the Far East.These extended sequences feature additional nudity and violence in the witchcraft scenes,and an impromptu striptease at the party"
I'm sure there are other examples in the book regarding other British horror films made during this period and the above film was the first i stumbled upon.However as you say i would not be surprised to hear about cuts to the versions filmed for the English speaking nations.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 06:52:47 AM »

Yes, it's true that some studios did make a UK and a "continental" version. INCENSE FOR THE DAMNED springs to mind, which had an orgy scene tacked on for non UK screenings.

It's just that as far as I know, with the sole exception of some stronger violence in a Japanese version of THE LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES, Hammer never did this.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 07:51:52 AM »

O.K. i'm not going to waste time scouring through the whole of my book to disprove this,and i'm not a horror expert by any means.Like many others i was actually using the Hammer term very loosely to encompass all British horror films made during that period.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 01:07:44 PM »

Why do you seem so irritated Banjo? Wrong choice of words, that's all.

Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2005, 01:28:07 PM »

Yes there were rumours about "Hammer" films having extra scenes but some of their rivals such as Tigon and Berman & Baker did. For example the DVD of Witchfinder General has some topless scenes in it.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 04:52:13 AM »

Hi Juan Miranda,i am in no way irritated,i'm a very happy bunny in fact,but i'm very sorry if it came across that way!!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 06:00:12 AM »

To judge the warped thinking that goes on at the BBFC, just look at the recent restored THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY DVD release. It's certified as an 18. Why? What's in it that's so shocking these days?

This has always been a question on my mind. It really doesn't warrant an 18, especially with what gets passed with a 15 rating these days (I'm looking at you Land of the Dead  Grin )

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
HEX
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 09:36:30 AM »

This has always been a question on my mind. It really doesn't warrant an 18, especially with what gets passed with a 15 rating these days (I'm looking at you Land of the Dead  Grin )

i am guessing u are saying LAND OF THE DEAD was a dissapointment in the gore catergory? i would have to agree with u on that.

and today i am sure that GBU would get a pg-13(15)

in america it is still considered an R(18)

except for the uncut version which is not rated.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 10:51:14 AM »

I wasn't dissapointed at all Hex, its just seeing an almost (there were a few bits missing) uncut print both in the best city in the world (New York) and London surprised me, especially with the trigger happy BBFC.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2005, 04:56:36 AM »

Was browsing in the Film section of Barnes & Nobel the other day and saw a DR. Skin celebrity skin book (your favorite actresses and the films they bared all in) on the shelf, checked out the Cardinale entry and it basically says that the international print does show her hooters, lol, there is also a reference to a web site, so any of you adventuerous surfers can check it out for the rest of us,  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
HEX
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2005, 11:19:22 PM »

Was browsing in the Film section of Barnes & Nobel the other day and saw a DR. Skin celebrity skin book (your favorite actresses and the films they bared all in) on the shelf, checked out the Cardinale entry and it basically says that the international print does show her hooters, lol, there is also a reference to a web site, so any of you adventuerous surfers can check it out for the rest of us,  Grin

even if it said in the constitution that it showed her hooters in the international version i would have my doubts.

but still it would be interesting to know if it were a fact or not, and would encourage all of our over seas friends
to check up on it and post a picture. but i get the feeling it is a wild goose chase.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »

It could be, you never know.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2005, 06:35:03 PM »

When I watch the Region 1 special edition that came out last spring, there is something like pixelation over Claudia's chest during the scene where she's trying to entice Lancaster.  It's like a big black mark over her upper body.

I just always assumed this is how everyone's dvd looked.  As was pointed out, Claudia Cardinale never wanted to do nude scenes, so this was how they went about it. 

Until someone says otherwise, I'll agree with Hex on this one being a wild goose chase.

HEX
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2005, 09:18:18 PM »

When I watch the Region 1 special edition that came out last spring, there is something like pixelation over Claudia's chest during the scene where she's trying to entice Lancaster.  It's like a big black mark over her upper body.

I just always assumed this is how everyone's dvd looked.  As was pointed out, Claudia Cardinale never wanted to do nude scenes, so this was how they went about it. 

Until someone says otherwise, I'll agree with Hex on this one being a wild goose chase.

the same with my dvd. mine is more of a dark shadow over her chest rather then a huge black mark.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM